Stranger Things

Benji

Spoiler

Eddie's death is an interesting one - I assumed he'd die in a way that redeemed him, but instead he's left as still the number one suspect in a murder case, and with his name implicated in the opening of a fucking portal to Hell. In the eyes of Hawkins, he's responsible for all of this, and while all the kids know that he was innocent, it's only Dustin who knows that he was actually a hero.

That could be an interesting dynamic, if it's ever referred back to. If Eddie just becomes an afterthought, it's a bit of a waste, but if he's still something of a bogeyman figure in Hawkins, that's a more interesting story, and has continuing ramifications for the rest of the Hellfire Club too.

I think the lack of main cast deaths wouldn't stand out so much if they hadn't brought Hopper and Brenner back from the dead; do that again, and they're running the risk of undermining any other character deaths. In the final series, while any main character death will have an emotional impact, it's not going to have as much of a lasting effect when we know there's no subsequent series that they're missing out on anyway. They're obviously not going to kill off any of the kids, but we could have lost (as much as I love him) Murray or Dr. Owens. One of the kids' parents could have been killed by Vecna - if he's acting on grief and trauma, they've all been through plenty in the last few years, and what of Mrs Wheeler's fling with Billy? It could have been a pay-off to that, as well as giving Mike something genuine to be distraught about, other than his usual moping.

That said, I think we lose, at the very least, Steve and Dr Owens next season. Steve is going to sacrifice himself to save Nancy, I'm convinced of it. 

Spoiler

Steve feels like somewhat of a Jesse Pinkman in that I have a sense he was meant to die off earlier in the show, once he got dumped by Nancy and had to learn quickly what it meant to be a good person. Instead he was Steve fucking Harrington, arguably the most popular character on the show and one with a fantastic dynamic with the kids. So he's been kept around but I think with no more seasons left and his dream being he and Nancy with six kids he'll be the "parent" of the group and get in the way so the six kids and Nancy can survive something.

But as my friend mentioned - Netflix is going to try to have spin-offs of this show in perpetuity since they don't have a ton of cultural touchstones fully under their ownership. So maybe Steve is just kept around so he can have his own show where he is a family man by day and a guy who fights the supernatural also by day.

19 hours ago, damhausen said:
  Hide contents

Steve feels like somewhat of a Jesse Pinkman in that I have a sense he was meant to die off earlier in the show, once he got dumped by Nancy and had to learn quickly what it meant to be a good person. Instead he was Steve fucking Harrington, arguably the most popular character on the show and one with a fantastic dynamic with the kids. So he's been kept around but I think with no more seasons left and his dream being he and Nancy with six kids he'll be the "parent" of the group and get in the way so the six kids and Nancy can survive something.

But as my friend mentioned - Netflix is going to try to have spin-offs of this show in perpetuity since they don't have a ton of cultural touchstones fully under their ownership. So maybe Steve is just kept around so he can have his own show where he is a family man by day and a guy who fights the supernatural also by day.

Spoiler

Yeah, the plan was for Steve to be killed off in series one; he was basically written as an obstacle for Nancy and Jonathan to overcome, then would have his one redemptive moment in fighting off the Demogorgon long enough for them to survive, would have died in the fight. The Duffer Brothers ended up liking him too much to go through with it, and instead we get Steve as the best character in the show, and them having to introduce Billy and Jason as new characters in the equivalent of Steve's high school jock bully role.

The Duffers have said that they're doing spin-offs, but that none of them will be about characters from the existing series - they specifically said they won't be about Steve, Eleven, or another number. That doesn't mean Steve wouldn't be able to cameo in them, but he won't be the focal point of a spin-off series.

• Like 2

I really didn't find this season that enjoyable. I like individuals characters and some of the settings were great...but man, so many issues bothered me.

Spoiler

I need to say the cast is excellent but the writing for their characters feels way off. It also feels like they have too many characters and can't focus on any one particular. At least Max and El get a lot of time.

Loved all the Alaska/Russia stuff. Felt like a nice side-story to get Hop back and makes Hop, Joyce and Murray feel quite heroic. I especially enjoyed Murray and Hop's antics. Yuri as well.

The mysterious hallucinations and deaths were intriguing...then they revealed more and more and the suspense was just gone for me way too early. Having Robert Englund as Creel was a fairly awesome touch. Could have done without all the Papa/001 stuff, far too long, repetitive and honestly tiring to watch. Having El regain her powers could have been done in so many interesting ways, this has to have been the most boring way to do it.

I think my biggest issue is the many teases with insufficient payoff and characters just being useless for no reason - Will's obvious struggles, El/Mike, Robin's self-confidence and sexuality, Jonathan's lies, Steve/Nancy, Dustin's lack of purpose, the dumbest jocks, Eddie's idiotic death...the ending scene with them on the hill watching over the red clouds was extremely anticlimactic.

Despite it's incredible length, this just feels like half the season instead of it's own self-contained chapter. The Russia stuff probably feels better for me since it has a more traditional conclusion.

I really hope Eddie returns in some manner. He dies heroically in the Upside Down...the writers can get a bit creative with it if they want to, especially when they already showed that the power of music and memories is to be reckoned with.

Despite feeling fairly meh by the end, I just wish we didn't have to wait so long for the next season. Maybe that was the intention all along.