Summer Transfer Window 2017

Lineker

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Erm, no, actually? England haven't had a defined model for developing youngsters it seems until St. George's Park opened. The rise of the Premier League money allowed the top clubs to hoover up all the talent without legislation and then the FA elected to aid that process by bringing in 'EPPP', basically allowing the top few clubs to take all the talented youngsters from lower league clubs for almost no money.

There is no incentive whatsoever for clubs like Exeter or my club to develop good young players because as soon as they get the slightest bit of attention they get snatched up by a top PL team for peanuts.

No one is going to convince me that Ethan Ampadu is better off playing with 70+ other talented boys in the Chelsea academy for the next five years and then going on loan to Reading or Blackburn at 21 having played half a dozen senior games, than being in and around the men's team at Exeter for that time instead. It's alright for Marcus Rashford and Alex Iwobi who do break through, but for every one of them (and they really are few and far between) there are dozens and dozens of academy graduates who spend their whole development phase up to 21-22 in this set-up then get released and are back in League Two with little to no senior experience.

(Also, I wrote up this whole post then accidantally clicked off the page and lost it all so had to re-write the whole thing, much to my frustration)

That's literally how Germany and Barcelona oversaw the rise of the greatest crops of youngsters we've seen in two decades, though. We have problems with the way we treat youth players in this country, but as far as I'm concerned, the most pressing issue is coaching at an even younger level.

1 hour ago, Nerf said:

That's literally how Germany and Barcelona oversaw the rise of the greatest crops of youngsters we've seen in two decades, though. We have problems with the way we treat youth players in this country, but as far as I'm concerned, the most pressing issue is coaching at an even younger level.

That may be how Barcelona did it, one club, but they revolutionised the sport at the top level. Germany changed their entire coaching set-up after Euro 2000, but let's also remember that the depth of the league pyramid in Spain and Germany is not even close to the standard of England so it's alright for Barcelona to nurture an entire squad of talented youngsters together in Barcelona B against men's teams in the Spanish Third Division but the better way to do it in this country is for them to play and develop at men's teams who will play them regularly.

I agree about your point on the pressing need to change the coaching levels at younger levels, entirely.

• Like 1

On 01/07/2017 at 16:26, Nerf said:

Barcelona have a B team that plays in the second and third tier of the national league. Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Messi, Puyol etc. all played at least a season in the B team. This is comparable to a season or two in the Championship / League One.

Germany has rules that 12 of the 22 man squads at U-19 and U-17 club levels have to be eligible to play for Germany. Their FA also put together a plan with the Bundesliga back in 2000 after their World Cup embarassment to put a greater emphasis on youth, something that the English FA can't do because the Premier League governs itself and frankly, doesn't care about the fortunes of the national team over the profits and marketability of the league. Germany also has many second teams in the Regionalia leagues.

Look at the U21 final that just took place, you've got players there like Max Meyer and Max Arnold for Germany who have over 120 Bundesliga games under their belts, fucking Saul was playing for Spain at that level and he's played more Champions League games that most English players have league appearances, never mind Premier League appearances. I think England's most experienced player at the championships was Nathan Redmond, who got his start for Birmingham in the Championship. England's best young player by far is Dele Alli, who played 88 games for MK Dons in Leagues One and Two.

• Like 7

• Admin

Jay Rodriguez to WBA.

Swansea City are close to agreeing a deal to sign Las Palmas midfielder Roque Mesa. All parties are hopeful an £11m deal can be agreed in the next few days. Swansea are also expecting to complete a deal this week to sign Tammy Abraham on loan from Chelsea.

5 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Jay Rodriguez to WBA.

Swansea City are close to agreeing a deal to sign Las Palmas midfielder Roque Mesa. All parties are hopeful an £11m deal can be agreed in the next few days. Swansea are also expecting to complete a deal this week to sign Tammy Abraham on loan from Chelsea.

Liverpool are probably disappointed they didn't get there first with Rodriguez :P

Abraham has potential to start for us in the future, hopefully he can prove he can score goals in the prem as well.

1 minute ago, Baddar said:

Michael Keane is heading to his Everton medical today.

And there's also talk they might sign Rooney after all.

Where's the Rooney stuff from? I honestly would love to see him back.

Keane is looking a great signing as well.

2 minutes ago, Adam said:

Where's the Rooney stuff from? I honestly would love to see him back.

Keane is looking a great signing as well.

Got the Transfer Centre on Sky and a "source" has said not to rule that one out. They've also just mentioned interest in Giroud.

With or without those two, it's been a great summer for Everton. They may lose Lukaku, hence the big spending and the search for a forward, but it's still good business. If you're getting Rooney we'll take Lukaku in return!

• Like 1

I would be satisfied to have a strike force of Giroud, Sandro and Rooney with Klaassen, Bolasie, Sigurdsson behind them in midfield but if Koeman is serious about challenging the top four we do need a bonafide 15-20 goals man to replace the lost output of Lukaku.

Either way, yes an excellent summer for Everton, strengthened almost every position needed now Keane seems a cert. Desperately needed a goalie, a centre half and a midfield to link to the attack and all three are sorted.

• Admin

:lol:

Newcastle want Joe Hart, apparently.

West Ham United have held talks about signing Javier Hernandez from Bayer Leverkusen. The former Manchester United striker has a £13m release clause in his contract.

West Brom sign China international striker Yuning Zhang from Vitesse Arnhem for an undisclosed fee. Zhang has immediately been loaned out to Werder Bremen on a two-year deal.

Stephen Ireland has signed a six-month contract extension at Stoke as he continues to recover from a broken leg.

Sky sources: George Boyd is to have a medical at Sheffield Wednesday today.

Fulham midfielder Tom Cairney has signed a new one-year contract extension until 2021.

• Like 1

Maybe part of the reason football transfers take so long now is because someone has to come up with a reveal video.

• Like 1

Has anyone other than Courtois actually managed to break through from Chelsea's forever loan system? I know the entire point is to buy cheap and sell high to fund their actual targets, but it's so fucked up.