Summer Transfer Window 2017

Lineker

2 hours ago, Lineker said:

It includes detail of a 10 per cent sell-on clause and says add-ons are still to be agreed. It sets out an example of West Ham qualifying for Champions League.

Should have also included an example of West Ham being selected to defend the Earth from alien invaders by playing them in a Space Jam-esque match as proxies of the entire human race. It would be equally as relevant.

• Haha 1

Maybe it was like on FM where you offer a clause of £50m for 50 international goals when you're signing a 29 year old uncapped full back.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Premier League clubs have voted to close next year's transfer window at 5pm on August 9th.

Can players still leave though until 31st? I think if outgoings were restricted too, it'd be good, but if Barca, Real and PSG are sniffing around once the season has started, the problem won't go away. 

Edit: Looks like they can't sell either. Good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gazz said:

Maybe it was like on FM where you offer a clause of £50m for 50 international goals when you're signing a 29 year old uncapped full back.

I never use those fees. So I pay you for a third party risking my player for his international games? Fuck off :/

• Admin
29 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Can players still leave though until 31st? I think if outgoings were restricted too, it'd be good, but if Barca, Real and PSG are sniffing around once the season has started, the problem won't go away. 

Edit: Looks like they can't sell either. Good.

And the Football League is unaffected also.

5 hours ago, Baddar said:

Did they end up "borrowing aplayer" from PSG after all?

It was Krychowiak, who went to West Brom instead. 

I like them moving the window, but it's less than 48 hours before the opening game which is a bit distracting, and from what I've read players can still be sold to other leagues up to their respective deadlines, which negates it a bit. Granted, Liverpool for instance could say to Coutinho "we can't sell you now since we can't replace you" which might help. 

BBC said no player could be bought or sold after that deadline, but they could have meant that they can't be sold within the PL which just seems too obvious a point to even have to make.

Edit: Updated to say players can be sold til the 31st. A bit annoying.

• Admin

Premier League clubs have voted to close the transfer window before the start of the domestic season, coming into force before the 2018-19 campaign.

The summer transfer window will now shut at 5pm on Thursday before the start of the season, with the change only affecting incoming signings. The Premier League is the first European elite division to abandon a deadline at or around the end of August, meaning they will still be able to sell players in Europe after that date but not recruit.

The 20 top-flight chairmen met in a central London hotel to consider the proposed changes, with discussions lasting three and a half hours. It is understood 14 voted in favour of the amendment, with five against and one abstention, believed to be the Burnley chairman, Mike Garlick. Those opposed to the rule change worry Premier League clubs will be left short if their players are bought after the domestic window shut.

The move comes after the start of this season was dominated by uncertainty over the future of Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho, Everton’s Ross Barkley and Swansea City’s Gylfi Sigurdsson.

The Premier League chairman, Richard Scudamore, said there was an overwhelming sense in the meeting that clubs wanted to start the season with more certainty over their squad.

Although no specific cases were cited in discussions, closing the window before the start of the domestic season would also avoid the situation that arose when Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain played in Arsenal’s 4-0 defeat at Liverpool before joining the Merseyside club less than a week later.

It is understood Liverpool’s refusal to sell Coutinho to Barcelona convinced many detractors that the Premier League could plough a lone furrow without the rest of Europe although Germany’s Bundesliga is most likely to follow suit.

The Uefa president, Alexander Ceferin, has also backed closing the window earlier in an interview with German broadcasters ARD: “Yes, I think that it is open for too long. It is strange that you play for one clubs when the season starts and then that you can simply play for another one. That is not good for the competition. We are in serious discussions over shortening the transfer window.”

Asked when the window should close, Ceferin added: “I think that it is no bad idea to close the window at the end of July.”