Chester Bennington suicide

Liam

I was never really a fan of Linkin Park but then I remember how much I loved that album Hybrid Theory. And the other odd songs from albums after that. It does bring me back to when I was young they would always play Linkin Park at clubs I would go to. And his little cameo's in Crank/Crank 2.

And then you get the occasional pricks online saying "Oh, well he had kids, how could he kill himself?". What, do you think it was easy for him to do that knowing he had kids? Fuck off, you don't know what he was thinking. 

• Like 1

Listened to Runaway from Hybrid Theory on my way home from work today and just got done watching them song One More Light on Jimmy Kimmel, right after Cornell died. Both songs hit home even harder after today.

Oh shit, this is the first I've heard of Christ Cornell passing away, that's horrible :(

Never been a big fan of Linkin Park, but Chester's voice has been there throughout my childhood and teens, my friends loved him. Heartbroken for his family.

Thought this was just one of those hoaxes that float about every now and then. Pretty gutted by this news. So many of my teen and early adult years were wrapped in the music of Linkin Park. They were my brother's favorite band and he had planned to go see them in a few months. 

The band finally put out some words and here they are. 

Dear Chester,

Our hearts are broken. The shockwaves of grief and denial are still sweeping through our family as we come to grips with what has happened.

You touched so many lives, maybe even more than you realized. In the past few days, we’ve seen an outpouring of love and support, both public and private, from around the world. Talinda and the family appreciate it, and want the world to know that you were the best husband, son, and father; the family will never be whole without you.

Talking with you about the years ahead together, your excitement was infectious. Your absence leaves a void that can never be filled—a boisterous, funny, ambitious, creative, kind, generous voice in the room is missing. We’re trying to remind ourselves that the demons who took you away from us were always part of the deal. After all, it was the way you sang about those demons that made everyone fall in love with you in the first place. You fearlessly put them on display, and in doing so, brought us together and taught us to be more human. You had the biggest heart, and managed to wear it on your sleeve.

Our love for making and performing music is inextinguishable. While we don’t know what path our future may take, we know that each of our lives was made better by you. Thank you for that gift. We love you, and miss you so much.

Until we see you again,

LP

Visit Chester.LinkinPark.com

• Like 2

For a lot of us, I think it's the first death in our generation of musicians that has passed away. I know that's the case for me, anyway. Linkin Park was the first band I became obsessed with - joined the Linkin Park Underground (exclusive merch and CDs with demos and shit for a cheap price), lurked their official message board and joined a bigger unofficial fan board. I grew up with LP, like I'm sure a lot of people did. Some people grew listening to David Bowie, or Prince, or Motorhead, but I didn't get into those artists until much later in my life - it was Linkin Park, and from there my fandom morphed into a band called Nine Inch Nails and that's where it's been ever since.

I literally think the only two musicians that could pass away and actually make me feel something, now that I'm confronted with the thought, was Chester and now the only one left is Trent Reznor. Chester pretty much defined my preteen and early teen years, and Reznor was the voice of my late teens and early twenties (and still is). Believe it or not, those two guys were actually huge motivators in myself becoming sober a year ago. If it comes out that Chester slid back into substance abuse and it contributed to his suicide, my heart will break even more.

Like the band said in their statement, I hope wherever Chester is, that he knows his lyrics actually helped a lot of people through some tough times. That should be his legacy, not how he chose to end his life.

It's almost a week later and I'm still in complete shock.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tristy said:

It's almost a week later and I'm still in complete shock.

Same. Linkin Park were the first of three bands I really got into (alongside Limp Bizkit and Sum 41), but they were the ones who had a lasting effect on me - I got through my teenage years and found my writing 'voice' by listening extensively to Hybrid Theory and Meteora. It's sad that it took Chester's death to make me realise Hybrid Theory is probably one of my most cherised albums, even though I made a list in my head of my top 10 albums maybe a fortnight ago and it didn't factor whatsoever. Sometimes it's easy to disregard something as a 'phase' or 'that stupid shit I listened to when I was much younger' when it has fundamentally shaped your very being. Hybrid Theory for most of us is our Led Zepplin IV or our Sgt Pepper's - the defining album of our generation. Just a shame the music press is such a way where we're not allowed to be seen to like it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chester-benningtons-widow-now-he-is-pain-free-w494708

"One week ago, I lost my soulmate and my children lost their hero – their Daddy. We had a fairytale life and now it has turned into some sick Shakespearean tragedy," Talinda wrote.

"How do I move on? How do I pick up my shattered soul? The only answer I know is to raise our babies with every ounce of love I have left. I want to let my community and the fans worldwide know that we feel your love. We feel your loss as well. My babies are so young to have lost their daddy. And I know that all of you will help keep his memory alive."

She added of her late husband, "He was a bright, loving soul with an angel's voice. And now he is pain-free singing his songs in all of our hearts. May God bless us all and help us turn to one another when we are in pain. Chester would've wanted us to do so. Rest In Peace, my love."

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

They're streaming a live benefit show this coming Friday night on YouTube, featuring the remaining members of LP and Blink-182, Bring Me The Horizon, Machine Gun Kelly, Jonathan Davis of Korn, Kiiara, Zedd, members of No Doubt, Yellowcard's William Ryan Key, System Of A Down (minus Serj), Avenged Sevenfold's M. Shadows and some others.

Watched a little bit of the concert this morning. Pretty emotional and awesome stuff. Hopefully will have time to finish it later. My cousin, who got into making music because of Linkin Park, actually flew out to California and went to it.