Moments you hate from films you love

Liam

Simple really - even in some films we love, there are always scenes or moments that we really dislike. What are yours?

This comes purely from my childhood memories of watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory at my Nan's a million and one times, each time choosing to fast forward Charlie's Mum singing 'Cheer Up, Charlie'. I hated that song and that whole scene.

• Like 1

The fact that Obi-Wan Kenobi didn't bother changing his surname when coming up with his alias in A New Hope.

"But ORO, then Luke wouldn't have suspected Ben of being Obi-Wan" you might say.

Yes, but this didn't actually matter, did it? Luke never actually went looking for Obi-Wan, he went after R2D2 who would have ran off anyway to try to complete his mission.

• Like 1

Good topic, this. 

Titanic. Why the fuck didn't Rose just scoot over on that big door and, you know, give Jack a better chance of surviving?!

Also when Michael Myers is unmasked, albeit for a few seconds before he puts it back on, in the first Halloween film. I'm a big fan of the movie, but that really annoys me. 

He's in it for the money, not the science!

Now that I think about it, nearly every line from Twister is dumb if it's not directly related to the tornado at hand. 

Dorothy! You took her, you damn thief! Because no one else has thought up that idea before.

Then there's the whole lunch scene. "Is there an F5?" And everyone falls silent. Granted, you don't fuck with an F5 tornado (or any tornado, for that matter), but how do you grow up in Oklahoma, get engaged to a former storm chaser, and not know about the Fujita scale. "What would that be like?" Well, they just said that an F4 would relocate your house....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mick said:

He's in it for the money, not the science!

Now that I think about it, nearly every line from Twister is dumb if it's not directly related to the tornado at hand. 

Dorothy! You took her, you damn thief! Because no one else has thought up that idea before.

Then there's the whole lunch scene. "Is there an F5?" And everyone falls silent. Granted, you don't fuck with an F5 tornado (or any tornado, for that matter), but how do you grow up in Oklahoma, get engaged to a former storm chaser, and not know about the Fujita scale. "What would that be like?" Well, they just said that an F4 would relocate your house....

Speaking of the Fujita scale, the opening scene. I'm fairly sure that the tornadoes are assigned Fujita ratings AFTER the tornado, not during.

Stealth edit :shifty:: Opening to Twister takes place in 1969. Fujita scale was created in 1971. Ergo, the opening tornado couldn't be rated by the news an F-5 because that rating didn't exist yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuck Tingle said:

Speaking of the Fujita scale, the opening scene. I'm fairly sure that the tornadoes are assigned Fujita ratings AFTER the tornado, not during.

Stealth edit :shifty:: Opening to Twister takes place in 1969. Fujita scale was created in 1971. Ergo, the opening tornado couldn't be rated by the news an F-5 because that rating didn't exist yet.

Yeah, was about to say that with the year it was created. 

The thing with tornadoes and strength, to go slightly off-topic, is a Zen-like question. If there is a monster tornado, but it does nothing, is it an F5? (Humor me, I'm fully aware of the implementation of the Enhanced Fujita scale :shifty: ). The answer is no; this was the case a few years ago with the El Reno tornado. Thing was 2.6 miles wide, winds reported of up to 296 miles per hour, the second highest recorded in a tornado, behind the 1999 Bridge Creek-Moore tornado. 

• Like 1

Edgar Wright edition:

Not a hate, but the Baby/Debora scenes in Baby Driver are all basically at the same level of "this is fine, I guess." Baby's only really interesting when put in contrast to the other criminals in the movie, and Debora's not really interesting ever.

For actual hate, going over to Scott Pilgrim;  giving Roxie Richter the Envy Adams bar fight scene in the comics was nooooooooot great optics.

10 hours ago, Liam said:

Simple really - even in some films we love, there are always scenes or moments that we really dislike. What are yours?

This comes purely from my childhood memories of watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory at my Nan's a million and one times, each time choosing to fast forward Charlie's Mum singing 'Cheer Up, Charlie'. I hated that song and that whole scene.

Holy crap, this was the exact thing I thought of when I read the topic title. Easily one of my favorite movies ever, and I've seen it probably close to a hundred times, but I think I've watched that scene/song twice. It just feels so out of place and pointless. Yes, he's a poor kid that has crummy luck. We get that. You don't have to sing about it.

5 hours ago, Paton said:

Marley & Me, the dog did not have to pass away.

But...the real dog did die. :huh:

Am I allowed to say "the two swear words in every Marvel movie"? They're obviously only there to knock it up from a PG, and just annoy me. Everything else in them is no more violent than say Star Wars, but there's just that irritating word or two that puts me off watching with my kids. 

• Like 1

Not films that I love but that most of people do: The Harry Potter series....in "Prisoner of Azkaban" , the old lady teacher doesn't let Harry go on a field trip because He doesn't have permission from his guardians....They kidnap him every year (the first time they send a semi-giant to do It) so He can go to classes but now they worried about permission from his guardian? :wacko:.

19 hours ago, angeluzcr said:

Not films that I love but that most of people do: The Harry Potter series....in "Prisoner of Azkaban" , the old lady teacher doesn't let Harry go on a field trip because He doesn't have permission from his guardians....They kidnap him every year (the first time they send a semi-giant to do It) so He can go to classes but now they worried about permission from his guardian? :wacko:.

You are aware there is a convicted 'murderer; on the loose, and they also say no to protect Harry, since they think Sirius Black is after him.

2 hours ago, db07 said:

You are aware there is a convicted 'murderer; on the loose, and they also say no to protect Harry, since they think Sirius Black is after him.

At no point they explains that is to protect him,they are just being jerks, also I guess Sirius is more dangerous than the dragon and the siren that put a trident to his throat in the next movie...during a competition he din't even enters in the first place....