UEFA Nations League 2018/19

Lineker

Serious question. 

Is Gareth Southgate really the right man to push these players toward trophies? 

Whilst I cannot deny he has brought something of a positive outlook back to the England setup, I think a lot of that is to do with the fact that's he's a polite man in a waistcoat. 

Look beneath that, yes we got to a semi-final of the World Cup but I would argue that the draw was somewhat favourable and we scored one goal from open play? Fast forward to today and we lose 3-1 to a team that didn't qualify for the last two major tournaments and our goal again came from a set play. 

When you look at the talent this England squad has, I wonder if it might be wasted under the leadership of Southgate. At the moment I cannot really offer many alternatives (Curbishley and Big Sam excluded), but I'm not fully sold on him as a coach that can make that final step.

8 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Serious question. 

Is Gareth Southgate really the right man to push these players toward trophies? 

Whilst I cannot deny he has brought something of a positive outlook back to the England setup, I think a lot of that is to do with the fact that's he's a polite man in a waistcoat. 

Look beneath that, yes we got to a semi-final of the World Cup but I would argue that the draw was somewhat favourable and we scored one goal from open play? Fast forward to today and we lose 3-1 to a team that didn't qualify for the last two major tournaments and our goal again came from a set play. 

When you look at the talent this England squad has, I wonder if it might be wasted under the leadership of Southgate. At the moment I cannot really offer many alternatives (Curbishley and Big Sam excluded), but I'm not fully sold on him as a coach that can make that final step.

The players love him - that counts for something. He's also committed to bringing through the next generation. I'm not sure I'd argue he's a fantastic coach, but I feel invested in this England team and what they're about and I think he's earned the right to make a proper go of it. 

• Admin

England (4-1-2-3): Pickford; Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Maguire, Rose; Dier; Alli, Delph; Sterling, Kane, Lingard.
Substitutes: Walker, Stones, Henderson, Sancho, Butland, Chilwell, Keane, Rice, Barkley, Rashford, Wilson, Heaton.

Switzerland (3-4-2-1): Sommer; Schar, Akanji, Elvedi; Mbabu, Xhaka, Freuler, Rodriguez; Shaqiri, Fernandes; Seferovic.
Substitutes: Mvogo, Omlin, Moubandje, Lang, Okafor, Steffen, Zuber, Benito, Ajeti, Zakaria, Sow, Drmic.

Referee: Ovidiu Haţegan (Romania).

He can get a little too agressive at times, but the kid has been really good. Ferro has had a very good first season too at Benfica, and one can hope they keep it up, because we really need a young pair of CBs because we can't keep depending on a 36 year old Pepe and a soon to be 36 year old Fonte like we did here.