UEFA Nations League 2018/19

Lineker

So we're already relegated and haven't scored a home goal in the competition ahead of the away game vs Denmark tomorrow.

That being said at least Michael Obafemi has declared for us, his country of birth despite being eligible for Nigeria an England! Need to cap him tomorrow before he realises his mistake. Having an 18 year old striker who's playing Premier League football is a big silver lining amidst all the shit football!

I know some people consider it a Micky Mouse competition as it's still in its infancy but once upon a time, the World Cup, Euros and the European Cup/Champions League were considered that too.

Anyway, with the teams that are left, fuck it, we could win that!

I think the nation's league has gone better than most would have thought. It's definetly better than pointless friendlies for the sake of it. Plus it's given teams like Gibraltar a chance to win.

• Like 3

I'm still pretty baffled by the Euro permutations (playoffs in March 2020, but the League A playoff is going to be massively different from the Nations League Final next summer because all of those teams will probably have already qualified), but as a standalone competition I think it's fantastic. The minnows are playing competitive games, and we've got an extra mini knock out cup every summer there isn't a World Cup or Euros. 

Nations League would have been great if we weren't so shit or got drawn against two teams we had already just played in the WC qualifiers.

It's much better than the friendlies though and the relegation/promotion system is neat!

That draw is being done in Dublin along with the Euros in 2 weeks too, which will definitely disrupt my commute home from work. So that's another big negative to be fair.

Nations League is neat. The only thing I'm unsure about is how teams that are promted / relegated get placed in their new Division. 

For example, Scotland have won C1 and are promoted to the B Division next time. Do they get assigned to B1, or is there a random draw to place teams in different groups? 

Oh, one interesting little tidbit, apparently by finishing in the top 4 we are not only guaranteed to be a top seed in the Euro qualifiers, but we are also certain to be placed in one of the 5 team groups instead of the 6 team groups!  

2 hours ago, DFF said:

Nations League is neat. The only thing I'm unsure about is how teams that are promted / relegated get placed in their new Division. 

For example, Scotland have won C1 and are promoted to the B Division next time. Do they get assigned to B1, or is there a random draw to place teams in different groups? 

Oh, one interesting little tidbit, apparently by finishing in the top 4 we are not only guaranteed to be a top seed in the Euro qualifiers, but we are also certain to be placed in one of the 5 team groups instead of the 6 team groups!  

Random draw every time. Wouldn't make much sense to pair us with the same teams over and over.

And yes that's right, a group of 5 as qualifiers will take place during the same international week in June that the Nations League finals are happening. Means we won't have a "minnow" like San Marino in our group to play.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Admin

Gareth Southgate has admitted England’s attempt to win the Nations League in June will be a “mess” if one or more English clubs reach the Champions League final.

England play the Netherlands in the Nations League semi-final on 6 June in Guimarães, Portugal, five days after the Champions League final in Madrid. Southgate is concerned that if any of his players are involved at the Wanda Metropolitano they may not be available to him.

“It could be a mess,” England’s manager said. “Let’s say if two of our teams made it to the Champions League final then we wouldn’t see them, at best, until the Monday before we play on the Thursday.

“As an Aussie coach [Alastair Clarkson] I know says: ‘Good luck with that, mate!’ We’ve been in [this] semi-final, qualified six months ago and [are thinking] what a great opportunity to win something, and then you don’t actually get the team together. And with the emotion of that game [Champions League final], can those players even realistically play on the Thursday night for us?

“We’ll have to work out all of that as that goes on. But, fundamentally, our preparation will be here [in England], broken up with breaks at home to give them space that they would all need, bar the players that will play to the very end.”

The Premier League season finishes on 12 May, with the FA Cup final the following weekend and the Europa League final on 29 May.

Southgate said: “They would all need a period where they would need to psychologically switch off, and we’d have to look at Champions League final players when we get to it. It will be a little bit like the World Cup in that players will finish at different times.”

Southgate named Declan Rice in his squad for the Euro 2020 qualifiers against the Czech Republic on Friday week at Wembley and in Montenegro the following Monday.

He defended Rice’s decision to choose England after playing for the Republic of Ireland in three friendlies. The 20-year-old West Ham midfielder has been criticised by former Ireland internationals including Kevin Kilbane and Gary Breen and by the former England captain Alan Shearer.

• 1 month later...