Summer Transfer Window 2018

Lineker

18 minutes ago, MexicoJack said:

But I thought Karius was the new De Gea...🤔

Literally nobody said that. The closest was "don't write him off too quickly, look at how DDG turned it around." He was given his chance, it didn't work out.

9 hours ago, Lineker said:

Fulham back-up goalkeeper David Button has joined Brighton and Hove Albion. The 29-year-old has joined the Seagulls on a three-year deal.

Apparently for four million. Good business for us. 

2 hours ago, stokerino said:

I don't know about Allison, but I want the Courtois situation sorted. Now.

His kids are in Madrid and that's a perfectly legitimate motivation to leave - and it's not one that's going to disappear if he signs a contract extension either. We'd just be setting ourselves up to repeat this in a year or two, and therefore I can't see why Courtois would want to re-sign. It's not like he'd have any reason to do so other than to give Chelsea more bargaining leverage, and why should he do that?

In fact, everything he's said has thrown up red flags for me that he's looking to string this out to the last minute and leave Chelsea trapped in a corner. "I'm not going to think about my contract until after the World Cup." Okay. "Actually it won't be until August." Fuck off, Tibo. Our deadline for getting any replacement in is August 9th. We cannot allow ourselves to enter that final week of the window with the possibility of you NOT signing anything and basically saying to Chelsea "lol, you can either sell me now (since Spain's window closes later) with no replacement or in January for a little bit of cash or let me go for nothing next year. In either case, bye!".

Add that he's now been making noises about possibly staying if his pay is increased enough... Dude, either you want to see your kids more or you don't. Don't play the kids card and then say actually a bit more money will do just as well.

I agree. He might've won the Golden Glove but having the "best" goalkeeper means bugger all if you have them for a season and then lose them for nothing, even if you win the league that year. Alisson would be nice (especially as a middle finger to Liverpool) but just someone solid is acceptable. Basically anything that keeps Caballero away from first choice at all costs.

They should just throw money at Courtois and Hazard to stay. They're surely capable, and those are two key parts of the team that it's not like someone that you'd rather not lose but are still replaceable, how do you replace somebody like Hazard and a great goalkeeper only in his mid-20's?

Latest word is that Chelsea and Real Madrid are virtually there for a Courtois transfer, but naturally it hangs on Chelsea finding a replacement keeper first.

I can picture us replacing Courtois, although I'm not sure who with (people get too hung up on trying to find a young keeper who will be here for 10 years... Like, why is getting an older keeper who's good for 4 or 5 years so bad? Plus it's Chelsea. Odds of anyone sticking around that long are low). I don't see Hazard going though. The rumours haven't a great deal of momentum to them so far and there have been no majorly strong "replacement signing" rumours either. In other words, it's just been like every other summer...

Mourinho once joked that Hazard would cost Madrid £100m...per leg. To be honest given the way things have gone these days, if the fee were south of £150m it'd be a joke.

2 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

They should just throw money at Courtois and Hazard to stay. They're surely capable, and those are two key parts of the team that it's not like someone that you'd rather not lose but are still replaceable, how do you replace somebody like Hazard and a great goalkeeper only in his mid-20's?

They could throw money at Hazard, but I can see him pushing hard for a move to Real Madrid.

54 minutes ago, Gorka said:

Quick question: does the early August end to the transfer window just apply to the Premier League or the entire Football League?

Just the PL.

• Like 1