NHL 2020

On 13/04/2020 at 05:17, damsher hatfield said:

Did he also throw Game 6? 

Someone already chirped that at him.

16 hours ago, TGWL said:

Generally upset I forgot about this thread all season.

It's all good, we're all busy being upset that this season forgot to finish.

I think I'd prefer them to just cancel the season, and hopefully be able to start fresh in October (if not, then at least November). If they do the playoffs this year, it'll either push the start of the season back pretty far at best, or at worst go from playoffs, with a super shortened off season, into the regular season with little break inbetween.

I agree about just cancelling the season. But everyone associated with the NHL is afraid of that big of a financial loss.

Maybe a playoffs in July or August, done quickly and at a neutral site, a month off and then preseason in October with first puck drop in November giving them a full season that'll end last week of June or maybe around Canada Day/July 4.

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Malenko said:

Slow news day.

What about Brent Burns?

News day? Joe Thornton shaving his beard took the better part of a fortnight.

• Haha 2

The world has ground to a halt and the future of economies and societies looks uncertain, but the only thing that does seem certain is the Leafs not getting close to another cup anytime soon.

Leafs have been social distancing themselves from success for almost 60 years.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's being reported the league is making progress on a 24-team playoff. Format to be decided as well as how many sites they'll be using. Vegas seems a lock for one of the sites from what I've read.

The bigger question looming for me is what you do about the Rangers/Blackhawks/Canadiens conundrum. They'll hammer out the logistics but how do you determine who fills out the 24-team field? By division standings, conference standings, league standings? And then total points or points per game? Lots to decide.

Also do the 8 teams that miss out get equal lottery odds?

The proposal I've seen floated the most is that it would be based entirely on points, everyone with under 70 points would be out.  Meaning Sabres, Devils, Senators, Red Wings, Ducks, Kings, and Sharks are the only teams that would not return.  Each conference still has 12 teams left, which would be split into two six-team divisions...not sure how, they can mostly stay with the normal divisions but some teams would obviously have to be moved.  I think points will be factored into that and seeding as well.

Anyway, each division plays a five-game round robin with the top two teams advancing to the main tournament and 3 vs. 6 and 4 vs. 5 playing best-of-three series to also get into the main tournament.  Then you're at the usual 16 team playoff.

So the bare minimum number of games a team would play is seven.  It's complicated.  The alternative of course is to just skip the round robin and hack off four more teams per conference to get it to 16 right out of the gate.  They'd have to decide what variables to look at though because you'd have to sort things out like how the Blue Jackets have one more point than the Islanders but Islanders have played two less games.  At least the Round Robin gives pretty much everyone still in the race a chance.

I think the round robin competitively is the best route to go. No system is completely fair of course.

Also how excited are you all for the owners to use the lost revenue from this season as an excuse to low-ball the players in CBA negotiations and have the league shutdown for half a season again in 2022-23?

4 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

I think the round robin competitively is the best route to go. No system is completely fair of course.

Also how excited are you all for the owners to use the lost revenue from this season as an excuse to low-ball the players in CBA negotiations and have the league shutdown for half a season again in 2022-23?

Fucking stooooooked

6 hours ago, B-li Manning said:

The proposal I've seen floated the most is that it would be based entirely on points, everyone with under 70 points would be out.  Meaning Sabres, Devils, Senators, Red Wings, Ducks, Kings, and Sharks are the only teams that would not return.  Each conference still has 12 teams left, which would be split into two six-team divisions...not sure how, they can mostly stay with the normal divisions but some teams would obviously have to be moved.  I think points will be factored into that and seeding as well.

The split between Central & Pacific teams balances out in the West this way. The Eastern half would just require one Metro division team (probably Carolina) to slide over to the Atlantic.

I like the round robin idea and think you don't even need the best of 3 play-in series if you just cut the bottom 2 from each pool of six after the group stage. Seed based on round robin record and goals for and you've got a fair bracket of 16.

Very torn on the season continuing at all because while I really would like to watch new hockey, I am not fully convinced on the safety of it all. I doubt players are either but they're going to be hushed up by aforementioned group of greedyass owners.