(Who Watches) The Watchmen Thread

GoGo Yubari

Predominantly for the TV show. I guess if y'all want to discuss the movie and comics in here too I'm down with that.

I liked that first episode, though man, it's going for a lot.

21 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Question..

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

It's proooooobably tied into Ozymandias' attack on Manhattan at the end of the comic, which took the guise of a giant interdimensional squid. Why there are actual for-real squids falling out of the sky... open question.

(Which, conveniently, confirms that this show is based on the comic's version of events and not the film, because Ozymandias' plan in the film did not involve the fake giant squid.)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Barbaro CaverLUKIEo said:

Is the timeline a continuation of the end of the comic book?

Almost certainly. It's referencing a ton of stuff from the end of the book, like the president being Robert Redford.

26 minutes ago, Ruki said:

I also really enjoyed it! But that opening, jeeze.

I had absolutely no idea that that event depicted in the first scene absolutely happened because it got heavily swept under the rug. Horrifying stuff.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Almost certainly. It's referencing a ton of stuff from the end of the book, like the president being Robert Redford.

I had absolutely no idea that that event depicted in the first scene absolutely happened because it got heavily swept under the rug. Horrifying stuff.

Wait... like in real life? 

Edit: Jesus. It was. That's awful. 

Yeah I only know anything related to the movie but I thought it was great. Regina King is amazing. 

But yeah the Tulsa riots don't get talked about nearly enough. The Ringer did a really good piece on it last year if you're interested in reading more about it. 

https://www.theringer.com/2018/6/28/17511818/black-wall-street-oklahoma-greenwood-destruction-tulsa

• Like 1

I'm thinking about reading the book again. Some of this was lost on me but I still really enjoyed it.

The ending

Spoiler

I was shocked they killed off Don Johnson already. He seemed like he was going to be an important character. Also should I know anything about Lou Gosset's character? Like was he in the book?

It's wild and extremely sad how many people are learning about Black Wall Street for the first time 😞 Great that the show is telling the story to a huge audience, though.

I've not finished the graphic novel just yet, so I'll hold off on the premiere, but I had to catch the first five minutes to see the riots recreated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I'm thinking about reading the book again. Some of this was lost on me but I still really enjoyed it.

The ending

Hide contents

I was shocked they killed off Don Johnson already. He seemed like he was going to be an important character. Also should I know anything about Lou Gosset's character? Like was he in the book?

Back when he was doing Lost, Damon Lindelof wanted to get Michael Keaton to play Jack in the first episode, have him heavily advertised and then kill him off in the first episode. ABC didn't want this to happen so they cast Matthew Fox and kept Jack going forever but obviously this is something he's wanted to do and I guess he got his wish with Don Johnson?

I think by ten minutes left in the episode

Spoiler

I had basically figured that either Don Johnson was going to be revealed as a major Seventh Kavalry player or be killed off. But that was such a good, well fleshed-out character that I was still shocked to see them go through with it.

also re @The Chiksrara Special's question about Lou Gossett Jr's character, he's not from the comic. Only one character who appears in that episode is (and I'm not gonna say who because I can't tel if it's meant to be a spoiler or not).

EDIT: Not counting the Doctor Manhattan footage, I guess.

I only know about Black Wall Street because of The Game, weirdly enough. He used to run a label called Black Wallstreet Records and in trying to look it up once I stumbled across the historic Black Wall Street.

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I think by ten minutes left in the episode

Hide contents

I had basically figured that either Don Johnson was going to be revealed as a major Seventh Kavalry player or be killed off. But that was such a good, well fleshed-out character that I was still shocked to see them go through with it.

also re @The Chiksrara Special's question about Lou Gossett Jr's character, he's not from the comic. Only one character who appears in that episode is (and I'm not gonna say who because I can't tel if it's meant to be a spoiler or not).

EDIT: Not counting the Doctor Manhattan footage, I guess.

Spoilers RE: Character

Spoiler

Isn't Don Johnson's character Nite Owl?

Or are you referring to someone else?

6 minutes ago, Barbaro CaverLUKIEo said:

Spoilers RE: Character

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

That's not who I meant. Judd isn't Nite-Owl, he couldn't even fly a dang owlship.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:
  Hide contents

That's not who I meant. Judd isn't Nite-Owl, he couldn't even fly a dang owlship.

Spoiler

I read a recap to try and gauge everything that happened and positive somewhere it mentioned he was Nite Owl, which was very confusing.