What music are you listening to?

Benji

Took my mom to see Alice Cooper on Tuesday... Best live show I have ever seen. And his guitarist, Orianthi, is insanely hot!

Don't sleep on Orianthi. She's done some solo pop stuff (including a single with the now-former lead singer of Flyleaf which is alright), but do not discount her skills. Ms. Panagaris can freaking shred. Michael Jackson's last guitarist and the first female member of Cooper's band.

At the moment I am going through a load of stuff that I have just had lying around and not heard yet. Starting today with Coma Void's Stormking Twilight, which I technically have heard before but it has been ages since I last listened to it; luckily, it was just as wild and crazy as I remembered it to be. Really just the muddiest death-doom I have ever heard, from an American band doing silly lyrics about Norse mythology. Really, KONGO and Cloudy and whoever else likes this, should try and get a hold of it because it is a quite the ride. Following that was Botanist's I: The Suicide Tree / II: A Rose From The Deadead, which is a bedroom black metal project by... some guy. Essentially it is a single-man band about gardening and flowers. Yup. The first batch of tracks didn't quite fertilize my soil but as I got deeper, it started growing on me. Still, it is somewhat abstract instrumentation so approach with caution; it might be poisonous.

At the moment, I am listening to some weird electronic band called EPROM and their 2012 venture Metahuman. It is very dubby and punctuated but I sort of like it because it is different to most other electronic acts I listen to. It sort of reminds of Nicolas Jaar if he was a bit more offensive and less refined.

Listened to Stuart Maconie's Freakier Zone on 6Music last night (well, it was from last week, but iPlayered it), and they did a special on video game music. As well as being reminded of how awesome the Katamari soundtrack and Yellow Magic Orchestra are, it got me listening to Trent Reznor's theme from Quake and the Streets Of Rage soundtrack for the first time in years, as well as some awesome C64 SID chip stuff, and the soundtracks from Portal 2 and Silent Hill, both of which are absolutely amazing.

I can definitely see myself playing some of this at my next DJ set next month.

Jeez, finding new releases on Spotify is a waste of time. Rhapsody would at least give me a list of what came out that week. Spotify just assumes I want to listen to an album that debuted highly on the charts and some crap from last week. Anyone know of a way I can access an actual list of what is new to Spotify?

Finally digging into the "Half Measures" EP from Prize Fighter Inferno. Seems Claudio's nabbed some better synth equipment, as things sound a bit more polished (not necessarily a good thing, as he compressed his voice on "Erizo Schultz" to the point he sounds more like Teagan and/or Sara than Claudio Sanchez). It's got a few good beats, however, so at least listen to it if you dig the more upbeat parts of "My Brother's Blood Machine".

Aside from that, Ramones/Brubeck/Rancid/Machine Head/whatever else I can get my hands on until I figure out how to find more current lists on Spotify.

Another thing about Spotify is that they'll sometimes take albums off or bring new albums on randomly. They never announce it, there's not a feed or anything anywhere. Spotify's just bad about relaying any of that information.

That is maddening. I suppose I'll kick around Rhapsody's site, find what I want, and make a playlist of it in Spotify - their collection willing.

So Nine Inch Nails will be releasing a Greatest Hits next year, new album in 2014 and Trent is collaborating with Interscope and Beats by Dre to develop a new straming service.

In actual 'What am I listening to?" news. Swans, lots of Swans. And Electric Wizard. And Swans. And German rap. And Swans.

Relistening to Horseback's Half Blood. Pretty sure my opinion of it is going to be the same: I really like the tunes themselves, very new Earth but a bit more active, but this is one of the only times when I think the vocals actively take away from the music. Usually I think even if the vocalist is a technically bad singer their passion or tone will help it fit with the music. It might not be good but it's serviceable. Here, the guy's black metally growls are just so jarring with the music, it doesn't create a good sort of dissonance, it just makes me wish he would stop.

Finally started listening to 'The Seer' by swans after seeing the Best Albums of 2012 thread and holy shit, I can't even describe what the fuck i'm listening to.

Edited by A Member Of The Dominion

This Galaktik Cancer Squard album from last year, called Eroberer, was totally not what I expected. I went into it almost blind, besides a recommendation from one of my friends who said "Listen to this!" and it was labeled black metal, but it turned out to be, well, still black metal but just done in a completely different way. Like, heavy 80's synthesizer sound was everywhere over these tracks, there were no vocals and it was just... complete madness and utterly brilliant. It is with most haste that I need to find more stuff from this band. I don't know if there is anyone else on the board who listens to black metal besides me but if you do, and you are reading this, check out Eroberer. It is awesome.

Finally got back in the saddle of finding new stuff or catching up on things I've yet to give the time of day to. Here goes:

-In This Moment's newest one is par for their course, though they reaaaaally like dubstep. It's mixed in well, though, and they remain that bridge band between Evanescence and Arch Enemy.

-Chevelle's remastered collection is perfectly fine for anyone who doesn't have a Chevelle CD and wants one. New track is nothing special, but works well with everything else.

-Green Day's Uno!, Dos!, Tre! albums are better tackled as one entity, which I found odd. Green Day is a band that knows what they do well now, and it's far longer list than what other bands can claim. They can do pop punk and pop rock, sometimes with surprising intricacy. You could do far worse than to spend a few hours checking it out.

-Big Boi's album may be the best example of why I cannot get into modern mainstream hip-hop. He tries to be seductive, but his voice is too high and his flow too jerky. He tries to be Busta Rhymes, but he doesn't enunciate quite as well (he's not as bad as Twista, but there are still moments where I couldn't make out what he was trying to say). Is it just obligatory to try and be all things at all times?