General Television Thread

Hellfire

Took me ten minutes to decide to pass on Empire, and that was being generous.

Was it the part where T-How meets with his gay son and T-How's first words in the conversation are "You know being gay is a choice right?" as if there was way more of a conversation that should be there beforehand? Cause that's when I gave up.

For anyone interested, USA Network's released the first episode of their upcoming series Mr. Robot, starring Christian Slater and Rami Malek. It's not due to premiere on TV for another month, but people that messed with the ARG got an email today that directs them to a link on the USA website for episode one.

EDIT: I watched it. It's not bad, I'll probably add it to my DVR and try to keep up. More detailed thoughts:

Rami Malek's wide-eyed look the entire show is really offputting, but I'm assuming it's supposed to be. I dug how Elliot explained that he always reads "E Corp" as "Evil Corp", and from that point on, any time it was mentioned, we heard "Evil Corp" - Angela's phone call to him during the DDoS attack, the MSNBC report, Darlene's scene in front of the Fun Society with Elliot, etcetera.

The tech was mostly on point and made sense. Some of it felt a little stilted, like the KDE vs. Gnome stuff when the E Corp execs were visiting Allsafe. Everything else seemed fine, though.

Christian Slater's pretty good.

My only real beef with the episode was that awful "serial rapist" analogy Lloyd offered about rootkits. I hope they reshoot that scene or something and offer a less shitty analogy.

Edited by Killer Cloudy

I kind of struggle to like the Nightly Show and I was thinking about it while watching last night's episode, and I think I figured out why. I really wish is was more of a panel show than Daily Show Lite With A Panel. A lot of the comedy segments are pretty bad (last night's segment with talking footballs was especially groanworthy), but the panel discussions are actually pretty interesting. The thing is that they get like, what? 6, 7 minutes? Then it's "that's our show thanks for joining us!" I'd much rather Larry do his monologue or whatever you call for the first segment, then have the rest of the show be devoted to the panel and whatever that day's topic is.

I'm sort of hoping it'll fill that Mad Men void of being a show with a dull premise if you just said "people working at an ad agency and their lives", but the actual character interaction and cinematography being what makes it so amazing.

Finished season two of The Americans, really enjoyed it. The dude that plays Beecher in Oz turns up as the big bad for the season and is really good. Hopefully season three turns up on Amazon Prime fairly soon.

Just started Hostages, three episodes in and am enjoying it.

Anyone watch the Tracy Morgan interview on Today? First interview he's given since that crash last year that injured him and killed James NcNair. The full interview's up on the Today website, and it's kind of hard to watch.

I kinda' want to watch the Shield now.

I still maintain that there hasn't been a show so good in the way it tied up what happened in the very first episode of the first season, all the way to the end of the series. Absolutely fantastic.

Oz is a great show. JK Simmons and Christopher Meloni are amazing in it.

If you watched Law and Order SVU, The Wire and Lost then you'll recognize pretty much 80% of the cast throughout the show.

• Like 1