UFC News and Discussion Thread

10 straight defenses, and several wins at a higher weight class, he isn't entitled to a rematch?

If BJ Penn and Frankie Edgar got rematches, Silva surely deserves one.

I'm sick of reading comments by people at various places saying the fight was fixed or that Silva threw the fight. All that happened is that his showboating and taunting finally bit him in the ass, which was bound to eventually happen.

I also don't like comments I've seen comparing Silva to Muhammad Ali, because of the showboating. Ali did it to be entertaining and as part of his rope-a-dope fighting style. Silva does it to lure opponents in to his counterpunching fighting style. The big difference is that Silva comes off as a dick.

So did Ali at the time, there was a huge uproar about it.

And to say that Anderson Silva doesn't deserve a re-match, wow, its not like he did anything illegal, he just got over confident to the point of arrogance and then got clocked, sportsmen have had it happen before and it will happen again, and people who have fallen from grace have become beloved again.

• Like 2

I'm sick of reading comments by people at various places saying the fight was fixed or that Silva threw the fight. All that happened is that his showboating and taunting finally bit him in the ass, which was bound to eventually happen.

I also don't like comments I've seen comparing Silva to Muhammad Ali, because of the showboating. Ali did it to be entertaining and as part of his rope-a-dope fighting style. Silva does it to lure opponents in to his counterpunching fighting style. The big difference is that Silva comes off as a dick.

And to say that Anderson Silva doesn't deserve a re-match, wow, its not like he did anything illegal, he just got over confident to the point of arrogance and then got clocked, sportsmen have had it happen before and it will happen again, and people who have fallen from grace have become beloved again.

Ali wasn't afraid to admit he was a dick. Anderson, on the other hand, plays with his opponents all the time and in the post-fight interviews he goes ''oh I have to take care of my family, I respect him a lot....''

Edited by RafaelFms
  • Like 3

Ali wasn't afraid to admit he was a dick. Anderson, on the other hand, plays with his opponents all the time and in the post-fight interviews he goes ''oh I have to take care of my family, I respect him a lot....''

Exactly. Silva is a hypocrite.

• Like 1

He didn't take the first fight seriously, why should he get another chance?

Competitively, you have a fair point. Financially, though? All but guarantees a rematch will happen.

Competitively he has absolutely no point what so ever.

Silva was undefeated and defended the title ten times. He was (and for me still is) regarded as the best P4P fighter in MMA. This idea that he doesn't deserve a rematch is ridiculous and verging on embarrassing actually. It's not like he just got dominated and battered. The guy got caught and finished, it happens.

Of course he fucking deserves a rematch. Nothing to do with financial means at all, he's Anderson Silva, the greatest MMA fighter of all time and a guy that has been defeated once in his UFC career and even in that one loss, some would argue it was his own doing. A rematch needs to happen and makes more sense than any other fight for the middleweight title. Put the Silva hatred to one side for a second and realise how silly it sounds to try and claim he doesn't deserve a rematch.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect
  • Like 3

Exactly. Silva is a hypocrite.

How is he a hypocrite?

Competitively, you have a fair point. Financially, though? All but guarantees a rematch will happen.

Silva was undefeated and defended the title ten times. He was (and for me still is) regarded as the best P4P fighter in MMA. This idea that he doesn't deserve a rematch is ridiculous and verging on embarrassing actually. It's not like he just got dominated and battered. The guy got caught and finished, it happens.

Of course he fucking deserves a rematch. Nothing to do with financial means at all, he's Anderson Silva, the greatest MMA fighter of all time and a guy that has been defeated once in his UFC career and even in that one loss, some would argue it was his own doing. A rematch needs to happen and makes more sense than any other fight for the middleweight title. Put the Silva hatred to one side for a second and realise how silly it sounds to try and claim he doesn't deserve a rematch.

Easy, killer. You're getting worked up over something that you have no hand in whatsoever. I don't have any hatred for Silva at all. Don't know the guy, have only seen his last few fights. When a fighter starts showboating, it comes across to some that he doesn't even care. If someone views that fighter's actions in that way, their competitiveness gets called into question. Fortunately for Dana White and Silva, he's marketable (thanks to his string of victories and the hype associated with them) and will likely bring his complete focus into the rematch (which will make boatloads of money). If can defeat Weidman in the rematch, then there will likely be a rubber match. If he loses, we'll still probably get Jones/Silva as a swan song for Anderson.

• Like 1

I can't believe I'm agreeing with a JohnnyPerfect post. He's one of the most annoying Anderson fanboys out there, but he's spot on.

Although, JP, yes it was partially Silva's fault, but don't take anything away from Weidman. He did everything differently to try to confuse Silva, and he acccomplished it. Silva was missing his shots to, except for the leg kicks I think. And the finish, where Weidman went unconventional on his punches, that was a BIG part of why Silva got caught.

If anything else, the rematch has to happen for the good of the division, and for Weidman's title reign. Right now he's a little in the spot of where Bendo is, where people are going to say he's never beaten the previous champ, no matter how many times after he defends the belt. If he fought Vitor or Jacare or Munoz or even Okami or Sonnen, people will still say he never truly defeated Anderson Silva.

Now can we talk about how The Korean Zombie is going to become World Champ? :P

TJ Grant out of UFC 164, now Pettis and Henderson will get their rematch. Grant was concussed during a bjj session.

Munoz vs Bisping expected for a Manchester card in late October over here in the uk.

Tito is making noise about a return to the cage, for bellator. He even tweeted a pic of being at their hq in California before deleting it. Bare in mind he also manages fighters nowadays though.

It's a shame for Grant, he put in one hell of a performance against Maynard, hope he gets his shot when he comes back and isn't put at the back of the line.

Sportscentre are saying Dana White has a huge announcement at 6.30ET, so in half an hour. I'm guessing he's going to announce the rematch?