UFC News and Discussion Thread

It might end up a good move, Silva - Weidman would get a much bigger crowd/buyrate, and the vast majority of that will also watch the woman's fight, and hopefully be impressed and go on to buy the next woman's fight.

• Like 1

Why put the women as Co-Main? It's main event worthy for sure. Good for the paying customer, less good for the Women's division.

Tradition, if you look at events where there are more than one title fight in the UFC they put them in ascending weight order, Dana has said as much in the past and it happened as at UFC 112 for example where BJ Penn/Edgar was co main to Anderson vs Maia

Also lets look at buy rates for Rousey and Silva title fights:

Rousey;

UFC 157 - 450,000 (buys)

Silva

UFC 148 (sonnen II) - 925,000

UFC 134 (Okami) - 335,000

UFC 126 (Belfort) - 725,000

UFC 117 (Sonnen I) - 600,000

UFC 112 (Maia) - 500,000 (and this card was on middle of the afternoon for North America)

Silva is a better performer at the box office, unless convention puts it otherwise you put your best performer at the top of the card.

This means even more eyes on Rousey/Tate for me as well.

• Like 1

Why put the women as Co-Main? It's main event worthy for sure. Good for the paying customer, less good for the Women's division.

Tradition, if you look at events where there are more than one title fight in the UFC they put them in ascending weight order, Dana has said as much in the past and it happened as at UFC 112 for example where BJ Penn/Edgar was co main to Anderson vs Maia

Also lets look at buy rates for Rousey and Silva title fights:

Rousey;

UFC 157 - 450,000 (buys)

Silva

UFC 148 (sonnen II) - 925,000

UFC 134 (Okami) - 335,000

UFC 126 (Belfort) - 725,000

UFC 117 (Sonnen I) - 600,000

UFC 112 (Maia) - 500,000 (and this card was on middle of the afternoon for North America)

Silva is a better performer at the box office, unless convention puts it otherwise you put your best performer at the top of the card.

This means even more eyes on Rousey/Tate for me as well.

I'm pretty sure he didn't say Tate-Rousey should be main over Silva-Weidman, just that they should be separate cards.

That is not the way I read it.

Also they want Silva-Weidman II ASAP, and if you put back Rousey and Tate it is a year between women's title fights, we could do with getting the division moving along.

Only Mike Bourke gets caught in double armbars.

Silva/Rousey combined does a million. Guaranteed.

Do you think Rousey could armbar Silva though?

I doubt this card could break UFC 100's record, but with two championship fights where the champions have been pushed like crazy by both MMA media and mainstream media, I think this could definitely beat the Carwin versus Lesnar card into second place.

• 2 weeks later...