UFC News and Discussion Thread

Having only seen gifs of the knockout, what the fuck was Silva thinking? Dude didn't even have his hands up, which is not only disrespectful to his fellow fighter but to the fans as well. What an assclown.

Having only seen gifs of the knockout, what the fuck was Silva thinking? Dude didn't even have his hands up, which is not only disrespectful to his fellow fighter but to the fans as well. What an assclown.

Watched many Anderson Silva fights? He has done that for at least the last four or five fights...maybe even longer. Pretty much ever since that charade that was a fight against Maia.

It is weird. It seems that for a while now, people have went with the idea that Silva could just do that. Tonight on Twitter for example I saw people call Silva a genius and master psychologist who got in his opponents heads. Then boom, knocked out and they all realise how stupid a move it was. Gareth A Davis even said that Silva was making Weidman look like an amateur. It is absolutely surreal to see people with so much confidence in a fighter doing a stupid thing and getting away with it that they actually think it is a master move.

More like the fight against Griffin at 101.

I forgot about the Griffin fight but from memory that didn't really last long enough for him to really show boat. Just some head movement and then that split second punch. The Maia fight is where it really came out.

It is weird. It seems that for a while now, people have went with the idea that Silva could just do that. Tonight on Twitter for example I saw people call Silva a genius and master psychologist who got in his opponents heads. Then boom, knocked out and they all realise how stupid a move it was. Gareth A Davis even said that Silva was making Weidman look like an amateur. It is absolutely surreal to see people with so much confidence in a fighter doing a stupid thing and getting away with it that they actually think it is a master move.

His tactics worked very well for him up till tonight. Weidman was better prepared than Silva's previous opponents.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's very hard to criticise someone regarding their tactics when it seemed to work every single time. As much as I hated seeing Silva do it, he still managed to pull of the win. Tonight was a whole other situation and he made one mistake too many.

Watched many Anderson Silva fights? He has done that for at least the last four or five fights...maybe even longer. Pretty much ever since that charade that was a fight against Maia.

I haven't, honestly, aside from the Sonnen stuff. I'm only a casual MMA fan at best, and if I do watch it's one of the free tv cards. As a matter of fact, I think the only UFC PPV I've watched live was Carwin/Lesnar two or three years ago.

Anyway, it seems like Silva was starting to think he was Ali or something.

Dodging single punches or one-two combinations from distance isn't that difficult when you have Silva's reflexes.

Weidman closed the distance and threw a flurry and there was just two many angles coming at him for Silva to dodge them all. Of course, had he had his hands up and his chin tucked, he wouldn't have had that problem.

• Like 1

I haven't, honestly, aside from the Sonnen stuff. I'm only a casual MMA fan at best, and if I do watch it's one of the free tv cards. As a matter of fact, I think the only UFC PPV I've watched live was Carwin/Lesnar two or three years ago.

It would be hard for an athlete not to think he's invincible, if he keeps on winning. Especially if it seems the whole world is anointing him the G.O.A.T.

Silva was experimenting with unorthodox moves before he joined UFC - there's a video of him giving someone a standing elbow uppercut KO, pre-Octagon.

His MMA career was so-so before he started fighting in the Octagon, and he started peaking at the right time.

More like the fight against Griffin at 101.

I forgot about the Griffin fight but from memory that didn't really last long enough for him to really show boat. Just some head movement and then that split second punch. The Maia fight is where it really came out.

Actually it started before that, in his fights vs Lutter and especially Thales Leites he show boated, and won, he did it and won, he is the GOAT, a genius. He did it and lost, and now everyone is saying he is an idiot, etc... I wouldn't jump on that too much, if he had not messed the result may not have been the same, when he was acting even semi-serious he appeared to have Weidman's number.

It would be hard for an athlete not to think he's invincible, if he keeps on winning. Especially if it seems the whole world is anointing him the G.O.A.T.

Silva was experimenting with unorthodox moves before he joined UFC - there's a video of him giving someone a standing elbow uppercut KO, pre-Octagon.

His MMA career was so-so before he started fighting in the Octagon, and he started peaking at the right time.

His career was not "So-so" before being in the Octagon, lets get some perspective. When he entered the Octagon he was 16-4, his four losses being a DQ against Okami for an illegal up kick in a fight he was going to win. The fabled flying heel hook against Chonan who at the time was considered a top level fighter, other losses being to Daiju Takase (only embarrassing on on his record IMO and a loss to Azeredo, a top level fighter in only Anderson's third fight.

At the same time pre Octagon he had beaten the likes of Mach Sakurai (top fighter at the time), noted mental Alexander Otsuka, Jeremy Horn, former UFC champion Carlos Newton, and Jorge Riveira, he was always a top prospect in the way Overeem has been, in the way Werdum has been, a top top fighter who suffered some losses while developing, to consider him anything else is a little bit insulting to the skill level throughout his career.

• Like 1