Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

So Ultimate Spider-Man's coming back on March 5th (it's only been a near six-month wait), with the four part Spider-Verse arc. Miles Morales is going to be in it! And Spider-Man 2099! And Spider-Girl! And most importantly..

Donald Glover is voicing Miles! :w00t:

I'm sure I've already seen that, he also meets Spider-Ham and a 30's style Spidey with airships and whatnot? Am I from the future?

It's apparently already aired in most overseas markets, Disney XD's just been putting it off and putting it off and putting it off in America.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hey. We need to find more heroes to fight this Thanos guy."

"I heard about this guy Spider-Man."

"Cool. Get him."

And boom. Peter Parker lives in the MCU.

Edit: And to further the point.

"Oh, we're looking for Spider-Man. Heard it was Peter Parker."

"Peter Parker was Spider-Man, but he's dead now. There's another Spider-Man out there."

"Oh okay. We'll take that one."

I can't remember who it was but someone did the Superman origin story in four panels. You could do that with Spiderman in a film, a quick flashback, nerdy kid bitten by bug, now he's Spiderman, would take like two minutes tops and wouldn't overly retread ground that has been gone over repeatedly ad nauseam.

• Like 1

Kirkland, the mistake that you're making is assuming that the movies need to follow the plot of the comics exactly, which is nonsense, and a terrible idea, because that's trying to fit in decades of continuity that constantly contradicts itself in order to satisfy the tiny percentage of the audience that care about it, who would most likely go and watch the movie regardless.

Miles Morales as Spider-Man does not need Peter Parker to have been Spider-Man beforehand. In the MCU there doesn't need to have ever been a Peter Parker.

• Like 5

So Ultimate Spider-Man's coming back on March 5th (it's only been a near six-month wait), with the four part Spider-Verse arc. Miles Morales is going to be in it! And Spider-Man 2099! And Spider-Girl! And most importantly..

Donald Glover is voicing Miles! :w00t:

I'm sure I've already seen that, he also meets Spider-Ham and a 30's style Spidey with airships and whatnot? Am I from the future?

It's apparently already aired in most overseas markets, Disney XD's just been putting it off and putting it off and putting it off in America.

Yeah, I've seen it. It's decent, but not even close to what I'd hope for, which is pretty much Ultimate Spider-Man wrapped up in a sentence. Something different at least.

I have a feeling that if they kill Parker right after acquiring him, there'd be a big backlash, both from comic book fans and non-comic book fans. The comic book fans would be pissed off because they killed off Peter Parker who is probably as beloved as any comic book character not named Bruce Wayne, and the non-comic book fans are only familiar with Peter and would be wondering why they killed him when he just appeared.

Personally, i think Morales is a bad idea, period. Unless they do something like having both him and Peter Parker around, and Morales uses a different name.

Why?

I have a feeling that if they kill Parker right after acquiring him, there'd be a big backlash, both from comic book fans and non-comic book fans. The comic book fans would be pissed off because they killed off Peter Parker who is probably as beloved as any comic book character not named Bruce Wayne, and the non-comic book fans are only familiar with Peter and would be wondering why they killed him when he just appeared.

Didn't he die shortly after the civil war anyway? I didn't watch the ASM movies, but is there anything stopping them from using those movies as canon, aside from not wanting to use Garfield?

Didn't he die shortly after the civil war anyway? I didn't watch the ASM movies, but is there anything stopping them from using those movies as canon, aside from not wanting to use Garfield?

Not that I recall, after the Civil War his marriage got retconned as well as his new powers, and that was it, I think. It took a while for him to die and be replaced with Ock.

But he did die. They can mess with the timeline a little bit. If comic book fans have a problem with that, then Miles Morales is pretty much a non-starter. I can't imagine the "Peter Parker never existed in this universe" idea going over any better. They'd be better off using a black Peter Parker than Miles if comic book fans would freak over Peter dying, but I don't think they would.

If they acknowledge him as the ASM Spiderman, even if they don't bring in Garfield, they have that history to point to him being a big deal in the MCU without having to retread his origin yet again. That history gives his reveal more gravitas, and then they can kill him, go to Miles and divorce themselves from following ASM in the standalone Spiderman movie that way. That should be enough for non-comic fans.

Benkid pretty much nailed the reasons why I think Morales instead of Parker would be a bad idea.

Plus not everyone is into the Ultimate Universe stuff.

Oh no no, I think they should go with Miles Morales straight away. That way when they introduce him, it wouldn't be the same origin we saw TWICE in the last 15 years. Plus they can kind of do whatever they want with him with very little backlash, and I prefer his story and character (the little that I've read) compared to Parker's boring, overexposed story.

• Like 1

Benkid pretty much nailed the reasons why I think Morales instead of Parker would be a bad idea.

Plus not everyone is into the Ultimate Universe stuff.

From my understanding, the MCU is basically the Ultimate Universe anyway, so...

Not really, it's probably got more in common with 616 at this point. Outside of the Chitari, the characters and stories are fairly different to the Ultimate Universe. Mostly because every one in Ultimate Marvel is a massive cock. (YOU THINK THIS A ON MY FOREHEAD STANDS FOR FRANCE?!)

• Like 2

Why is everyone seemingly obsessed with Morales?

Because he's more interesting than Peter Parker. We've all read the same Peter Parker as Spider-Man books, seen the same Peter Parker as Spider-Man films for the past 14 years, etc. Peter's stale. This is coming from a huge Spider-Man fan; he's stale. I want to see Miles get a shot in a mainstream film.