MLB 2019

The Buscher

1 hour ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I hate to sound ungrateful but FUCKING FINALLY! What took so long?? But no yeah I'm happy :P  

As Meacon said, waiting until a specific date passes allows the signing team to avoid having to give up any compensatory picks to the player's former club... whereas, if they'd signed him a week or two ago, the Cubs would have lost a draft pick, or draft picks, in order to make the deal happen.

It's another one of those weird things in the CBA that is probably going to be changed for the next one. That, and service time manipulation, are big things that contribute negatively to the game by more or less encouraging teams to not field their best possible roster. Kimbrel and Dallas Keuchel should have been signed before the season started, but no one wanted to part with the picks that they would lose to do so.

Overrated Edwin Diaz blows yet another save while Cano and his .238/3/14 slashline sits in Syracuse having gone back on the IL one game into his return.

It’s June and I’m already willing to declare this one of the worst trades in team history, possibly baseball history.

Like, everybody knew it was a risky trade, and right out of the gate got no shortage of criticism from guys like Keith Law who gets his jollies from blasting the Mets at every turn.  Even the most optimistic fan had to know the last couple of years in Cano's deal would be rough.  But if you believed Cano had a few more years of elite level production left, it was easy to see why they would've wanted to get him.

And there was absolutely nothing in his numbers or recent history to suggest he was going to fall off a cliff in year one.  And yet, he already looks done two and a half months into the season.  Plus Diaz is simply reinforcing that it's pointless to count on closers anymore because so few relievers can stay consistently great year to year.

The franchise is well and truly cursed.

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

Just got an alert that the Yankees have acquired Edwin Encarnacion from the Mariners. No word on who we gave up. But 21 homers to our line-up is a-ok with me. 

Right hander Juan Then is going to them and Seattle is picking up about half of money still owed to Edwin

• Thanks 1

After getting embarrassed in the first two games against Houston, the Jays were up 11-0 when I last saw the score, showing that with a little consistency from their bats and a decent effort from the starting pitcher, they're still a dangerous team to play. Games like this will be few and far between for them, but they are super important as a reminder to the fanbase that things aren't really as bad as they seem, and that the future actually does look bright for the team.

That said... it's scary to know that the Yankees just added Encarnacion to their lineup of ridiculous power bats, especially when our starting rotation has been more bad than decent this year.