NHL 2020

13 hours ago, Forky said:

Now if Vancouver could go the way of Calgary, that would be great :shifty:

Sorry SDM.

zxyemw5bkgi51.jpg?width=751&auto=webp&s=

A pretty big trade as Kapanen goes to Pittsburgh. I like it for both sides. Rutherford is smart to basically say they have to try to win it all every year with an aging core of Crosby and Malkin. You can talk about "retooling" through the draft but it's stupid when you have the greatest player of his era on your team. Worry about the future once he's gone basically. Also good for Toronto as they pick up some assets they need to get out of the salary cap mess they're stuck in right now. Pittsburgh "overpaid" but they need to at this point. 2024 doesn't matter for them, 2021 does.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

A pretty big trade as Kapanen goes to Pittsburgh. I like it for both sides. Rutherford is smart to basically say they have to try to win it all every year with an aging core of Crosby and Malkin. You can talk about "retooling" through the draft but it's stupid when you have the greatest player of his era on your team. Worry about the future once he's gone basically. Also good for Toronto as they pick up some assets they need to get out of the salary cap mess they're stuck in right now. Pittsburgh "overpaid" but they need to at this point. 2024 doesn't matter for them, 2021 does.

The only issue I would have with the trade as a Penguins fan, is that if Rutherford had waited a bit, that first round pick may have been able to be replaced with a second. It's the first rounder that stings, because everyone knows the Leafs were going to have to dump salary, and they managed to come out of the trade quite nicely. It's tough as a fan to sit and watch your GM not take advantage of a team that's in cap trouble.

That said, I think Kapanen, on the right team, is worth a first rounder. Playing with Malkin or Crosby will light a spark and he'll have a great year for them.

I don't mind the trade, though much like Gabriel, I wasn't happy about the first rounder but if Kapanen lives up to his potential then I can live with it. Rutherford has also said that one of our goalies has got to go and there have been rumours about Freddy Andersen for Matt Murray and I think I'd take that trade in a heartbeat. I was very high on Murray when he and Flower were a great tandem but it felt like the minute Fleury was gone, his confidence went out the window. 

I don't know who you move to make the team better though. I mean honestly the Pens core is the best there is when they're all healthy and playing like they should (I'm looking at you Malkin.) I swear to god Malkin only has a good season in him, or a good playoffs in him. He never seems to have both.

Joint statement from the western conference bubble teams:

(that's pretty much everyone)