NHL 2020

8 hours ago, SeanDMan said:

Which one?

The first one was the only one I saw actually. 

3 minutes ago, KJE said:

Tuuka Rask has opted out of the season.

That is a hell of a blow for Boston. Hopefully everything is okay with him.

On a completely unrelated note, Boo Boston!

3 minutes ago, Forky said:

The first one was the only one I saw actually. 

That is a hell of a blow for Boston. Hopefully everything is okay with him.

On a completely unrelated note, Boo Boston!

Sounds like he was missing his young family. Newborn and two other kids at home.

Boston has looked like shit since bubble games began. Expect a lot of brostonions complaining about how this season wasn't even real.

19 hours ago, SeanDMan said:

Boston has looked like shit since bubble games began. Expect a lot of brostonions complaining about how this season wasn't even real.

I haven't heard the mouth breathing townies on sports radio yet, but all things considering - the Bruins are up in their series and their goaltending problems have sorted themselves out.  If memory serves me right, Halak's one of the better backups in the league. There's still enough talent there to get past Carolina and go further.

Now for a season not being real, that's the Red Sox because JFC that's awful.

12 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

After an extremely weak 5 minute/game penalty for Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Habs quickly fired back with 2 goals to take back the lead. Looked more of a routine hit into the boards than anything, certainly a hit that happens more than enough and doesn't draw any penalty.

One of my biggest officiating pet peeves in hockey has to be that the officials regularly call penalties with the outcome of the play as the biggest factor in their assessment. You can do such and such a thing to another player, and as long as they aren't injured, you're liable to get two minutes if there's even a call made. Someone gets hurt though? Must be a stricter punishment, even if the play was identical to another that wasn't called or was called as a minor.

I get that not everybody would be on board for a switch to calling games strictly by the rulebook, but I feel like referees have too much potential influence on games when they put their whistle away for most of it, and then call a little roughing or slashing penalty that they had been letting go, late in a game. I know people rag on MLB umpires quite a bit, but I feel like at least they're consistent in their calls. Each different umpire calls the game differently, but they don't all of a sudden, mid game, decide that the outer corners they'd be calling as balls are now suddenly strikes.

10 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

One of my biggest officiating pet peeves in hockey has to be that the officials regularly call penalties with the outcome of the play as the biggest factor in their assessment. You can do such and such a thing to another player, and as long as they aren't injured, you're liable to get two minutes if there's even a call made. Someone gets hurt though? Must be a stricter punishment, even if the play was identical to another that wasn't called or was called as a minor.

I get that not everybody would be on board for a switch to calling games strictly by the rulebook, but I feel like referees have too much potential influence on games when they put their whistle away for most of it, and then call a little roughing or slashing penalty that they had been letting go, late in a game. I know people rag on MLB umpires quite a bit, but I feel like at least they're consistent in their calls. Each different umpire calls the game differently, but they don't all of a sudden, mid game, decide that the outer corners they'd be calling as balls are now suddenly strikes.

So much is rooted in judgment and it always creates a margin of error. I don't know a great solution but it's just extremely annoying when identical fouls get called differently based on whether a guy stays down on the ice or skates back to the bench.

Well, the Flames played absolutely fantastic... in the first ten minutes.

From there, they did what the Flames do.

It's time to move on from the core that we have. Backlund, Bennett, Dube, Tkachuk and Lindholm should be the only untouchables forwards this off-season. Anderson, Hamonic and Valimaki should take that designation on the back end. I keep Rittich, but protect him better during the season. Anybody not listed can be let go or traded in the off-season for improvements.

At the very least, this summer is the time to move Gaudreau.

Decide who the core is, move on from no-saves-Dave for one of the innumerable 'tenders on FA this season and start again for the Flames I think. They've just got to stop doing themselves in with Fool's Gold.

7 hours ago, Plubby said:

Decide who the core is, move on from no-saves-Dave for one of the innumerable 'tenders on FA this season and start again for the Flames I think. They've just got to stop doing themselves in with Fool's Gold.

For the goaltending, I think Rittich is fine. You have to remember the dude played half of a game over a six month period and then got fed to the wolves last night. The first half of his season was terrific. What they need to do is either keep Rittich and bring in someone who can play about half the games. Bill Peters rode him too hard in the early going and burned him out. So bring someone in and alternate between the new guy and Rittich until the playoffs or the season ending stretch.

Or, conversely, if they don't believe in Rittich, re-sign Talbot and try to sign a UFA who can potentially take the reigns while we wait on Dustin Wolf and the other prospects to be ready for a shot.

I think the nine guys that I listed above are a great start for them to build around... but with a flat cap and a team that falls apart when it matters most, I think this summer is the time to start kicking tires on moving Gaudreau, Monahan, Giordano and Brodie. (Brodie is a free agent, I believe, so the return for him would be minimal, but even just getting a draft pick for his rights would be a win right now). If they can make cap room and roster additions via trade, then it will give them some space to go after marquee free agents. I'd love to see them make a legitimate offer to Taylor Hall.