The Horror Thread

zero

On 20/10/2020 at 10:48, Gabriel said:

For me, Jason Goes to Hell kind of depends on my mood. Sometimes I quite enjoy it, but other times I just want choke the life out of whoever decided to get weird with the shit in that one. I'm not a really big fan of the idea of him being able to move from person to person.

Manhattan is one of my favorites, and Jason X is definitely a guilty pleasure movie. I might have to do another watch through of the Friday series soon.

On a different note... Hubie Halloween was actually pretty enjoyable. I never would have watched it if my wife didn't ask, but it was considerably better than I had anticipated it would be.

And we watched Rabid last night. Jen and Sylvia Soska are easily up there with my favorite horror directors. There was some really cool body horror stuff, and it was well acted. Plus, it's always great seeing CM Punk in horror. If I hadn't mentioned it before, his other movie, the Girl on the Third Floor, was pretty fucking good. He's a good leading man, and the horror genre fits him well. Hopefully he keeps working in film.

Jason Goes To Hell is one of my least favorites, for the very reason you mention. I only tolerate it because of Steven Williams being in it.

Hubie Halloween was funnier than it had any right to be. The gimmick with his water bottle was great, and I about died when 

Spoiler

Shaq

showed up.

Haven't seen Rabid or The Girl On The Third Floor, but plan to see the latter. 

On 27/10/2020 at 00:10, =BK= said:

Halloween 2018

Hide contents

You fucking morons botched it! You had him! You couldn't just shoot him to death through the bars?! You had to try and let fire do it?! Guess what fuckers, next time you won't have a death trap fortress that's been prepared and fine tuned for 40 fucking years. That's all down the drain! You're back to square one. 

How do you know they don't?  Laurie has been prepping for decades for him.  Who knows what else she has set up?

Also, can I jsut say how much I hate the Rob Zombie Halloween movies?  They were shit

halloween%20continuity%20chart.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If y'all grew up loving movies like Masters of the Universe, are into practical effects and love some absurdity... do not sleep on Psycho Goreman. I watched it last night, and it is probably one of the most fun movies I have seen in quite some time.

• 1 month later...

Continuing the trend of fun horror flicks... Willy's Wonderland isn't a cinematic masterpiece by any means, but if you hear "Nic Cage beats the ever loving fuck out of Five Night's at Freddy's styled animatronic bad guys" and think it might be fun... it sure as shit will be.

There's not a whole lot to the story, but it's more about just watching Nic Cage be Nic Cage and fuck shit up. Highly recommended for a night when you want to turn off your brain.

We also watched Snatchers recently. Tons of fun there too, and if you like horror comedy, it's well worth a watch.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Digging up the corpse of this thread to remind everyone that Halloween Kills has been released.

It's a fucking brutal blast of Michael Myers in his greatest glory, with a really well done look at the immediate impact of his presence on the lives of the survivors.

Easily includes some of my favorite death scenes in modern horror.

• Like 1

I juat watched HALLOWEEN KILLS via Peacock, and.....it was good, but also a bit disappointing. 

I'll say this right off the bat: the ending was complete shit.

Spoiler

Didn't keep a running total, but I think Michael had more kills in this one than all the previous HALLOWEEN films combined! (Not counting the two garbage Rob Zombie ones)

And the teasing about seeing his face was just that; a tease. You don't get a real good look before he remasks. Just enough to tell the left side of his face is messed up, but not enough to see what he really looks like.

My theory about the next one, HALLOWEEN ENDS: Frank, Laurie and *maybe* Allyson team up to finally kill him, but Laurie dies too.

Edited by GhostMachine

Hit me with some of your favorite horror flicks. No need for a long list, just 2-4. Especially interested in the stuff that’s currently on US streaming platforms.

I just finished watching more of both the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street movies. Jason Goes to Hell is, maddeningly, the only one I can’t access, so I’ve paused that series until I can. Yes, this means I’m eventually gonna watch the remakes and whatnot.

Boy, Freddy’s Dead is a stinker. But Dream Child was better than I expected, if not as good as some others. FtT: A New Beginning was utter horseshit. Jason Lives was kinda cool. Takes Manhattan is suuuuch false advertising. Not only did NO ONE take that borough, they don’t even get to New York until the final act.

Wishing I could fill in my Candyman and Halloween gaps, but the key ones aren’t accessible.

On a completely different note, Cronenberg’s The Brood is on HBOMax right now and I HIGHLY recommend it.

19 hours ago, Josh said:

Hit me with some of your favorite horror flicks. No need for a long list, just 2-4. Especially interested in the stuff that’s currently on US streaming platforms.

I just finished watching more of both the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street movies. Jason Goes to Hell is, maddeningly, the only one I can’t access, so I’ve paused that series until I can. Yes, this means I’m eventually gonna watch the remakes and whatnot.

Boy, Freddy’s Dead is a stinker. But Dream Child was better than I expected, if not as good as some others. FtT: A New Beginning was utter horseshit. Jason Lives was kinda cool. Takes Manhattan is suuuuch false advertising. Not only did NO ONE take that borough, they don’t even get to New York until the final act.

Wishing I could fill in my Candyman and Halloween gaps, but the key ones aren’t accessible.

On a completely different note, Cronenberg’s The Brood is on HBOMax right now and I HIGHLY recommend it.

The original Candyman trilogy is on Amazon Prime, at least in Canada.

I'm not sure if it's still on Shudder in other countries, but You Might Be the Killer is one of my favorite modern horror flicks. If you liked Cabin in the Woods, it's similar in tone.

If you're into cinema verite, the Hell House trilogy is pretty cool. That should be on Shudder. The first two movies are on Amazon Prime.

Oh, and Psycho Goreman. It's on Shudder. Balls to the wall hilarious and gross. Good shit.

23 hours ago, Josh said:

Prom Night I saw. It was okay. Couldn’t get through Maniac. The ones that lean into misogyny are a no-go for me (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Last House on the Left, etc.)

Might have to give The Burning and Terror Train a shot!

For a more empowering female experience, I highly recommend the Soska Sisters' awesome American Mary. Katherine Isabelle, from Ginger Snaps, plays the lead character. Three of my favorite women in horror put together a fantastic flick about a medical student who ends up deep in the underworld of body modification in an effort to exact revenge on shitty fucking men.

Also, for a bit of fun, watch Snatchers. That shit was hilarious.

• Like 1

Black Christmas. The orignal, NOT the remake.

Nightbreed. If you like David Cronenberg's movies, you might like him as an actor. He plays the bad guy in this. (Clive Barker is the director.)

I'll second the mentions for The Burning and Prom Night, but I don't believe I've ever seen Terror Train. Maniac is crap, though.

The Evil Dead movies. ALL of them, including the new one....which doesn't really have much of a connection to the series. Its more or less a remake with a different lead character. 

The Child's Play movies are good, except for the remake. Instead of a serial killer's spirit possessing a doll, Chucky is an evil A.I. in the remake, and that was an incredibly stupid idea.

I still stand by the idea that the Child's Play remake could have been absolutely fine if they got rid of all the references to the franchise and ran with it more as a horror-comedy.

It was fine for what it was, but it was completely missing the heart of the franchise.

Night Breed is a good shout out. Make sure you get the Director's Cut if you watch it though. So much of Barker's vision was left on the cutting room floor to streamline the film, and it does a real disservice to the narrative.

If you like Barker's work, the Hellraiser series is worth a watch. The first four films are kind of their own story, then each sequel after is B-Movie magic. Movies that were written for something else, turned into Hellraiser films. Some of them (like Inferno and Hellworld) work specifically because of how different they are. Inferno, in particular, is one of my favorite entries in the franchise.

On 19/10/2021 at 12:36, Gabriel said:

I still stand by the idea that the Child's Play remake could have been absolutely fine if they got rid of all the references to the franchise and ran with it more as a horror-comedy.

It was fine for what it was, but it was completely missing the heart of the franchise.

Night Breed is a good shout out. Make sure you get the Director's Cut if you watch it though. So much of Barker's vision was left on the cutting room floor to streamline the film, and it does a real disservice to the narrative.

If you like Barker's work, the Hellraiser series is worth a watch. The first four films are kind of their own story, then each sequel after is B-Movie magic. Movies that were written for something else, turned into Hellraiser films. Some of them (like Inferno and Hellworld) work specifically because of how different they are. Inferno, in particular, is one of my favorite entries in the franchise.

They're doing a new Hellraiser, but.....Pinhead is going to be a woman. Not sure if its a continuation or a remake, but it apparently has Barker's blessing.

13 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

They're doing a new Hellraiser, but.....Pinhead is going to be a woman. Not sure if its a continuation or a remake, but it apparently has Barker's blessing.

It has allegedly already filmed. Barker's involvement has me excited, because he's easily one of my favorite authors and I adore his work. In the Hellbound Heart, Pinhead is described as sexless, but feminine... so I am intrigued to see this. It sounds like the people involved have great reverence for the source material.