The Horror Thread

zero

Shudder has added a new movie called Bloody Hell, which was just absolutely awesome. Basic premise is that there is a war veteran who flees the States due to past troubles, only to wind up being captured and tied up by a family in Finland.

It's hard to divulge more without entering spoiler territory, but I definitely got some Hostel type vibes from certain scenes... another major influence though would be Daniel Isn't Real or maybe even Fight Club. As a veteran, he suffers from PTSD and sees and speaks to another version of himself.

It's actually quite funny, but it was just surprisingly good. Two bloody thumbs up.

I should mention that a movie a friend of mine stars in recently went up on Shudder with a lot of promotion - it’s called Revealer. My understanding is it’s 80s, sexy, end of the world vibes. I need to get Shudder and see it.

This looks delightfully cheesy and I am ALL IN

Rob Zombie's brother, Spider-One (of Powerman 5000 fame) wrote and directed a horror movie called Allegoria. It is available on Shudder currently.

While I can't say that the movie was awesome, by any means, it was definitely worth a watch for me and I am incredibly excited to see what Spider does with his next film. There's clearly a very strong understanding of the genre and what he wants to accomplish, but he needs some polish. The movie felt disjointed, but the ideas were strong. He even got Zombie alum Scout Compton to be in the flick, and I honestly think that an entire movie based around her character would have been a much better and coherent film.

If you like to deep dive into horror, I recommend checking Allegoria out. There's lots to like and look forward to from Spider-One as a filmmaker. If you're more of a casual horror fan, you'll probably feel like you wasted your time.

• 4 weeks later...

I have put off watching Scream 4 for many years. Not really sure why, just wasn't sure what other commentary it could make on horror films that it hadn't already.

Spoiler

I think I was right in the first place. It's not a "bad" film, but it definitely feels like a shark jump. The reveal of the killer(s) didn't have any oomph at all, and half the characters didn't feel like they had any personality besides fodder.

Ironically, Scream started off as a homage/parody of horror films, and this entry feels more like it needs parodying because it's fallen into the same clichés as those it once lambasted.

I'm not about to write the franchise off, as I said it's still not a bad film, but it definitely feels like it forgot a little about what made Scream great in the first place.

• Like 1

Ryan Kwanten of True Blood fame just had a new movie called Glorious launch on Shudder.

The long-short of it? JK Simmons voices a Lovecraftian god stuck in a public restroom, and Kwanten's character happens upon him.

Solid film. Nothing ground breaking, but enjoyable and interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gabriel said:

Ryan Kwanten of True Blood fame just had a new movie called Glorious launch on Shudder.

The long-short of it? JK Simmons voices a Lovecraftian god stuck in a public restroom, and Kwanten's character happens upon him.

Every time I thought this series of letters could not improve, it kept improving.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

New Hellraiser is out. I am hearing fantastic things, but for some reason, they only have the streaming rights for the US, so it's currently only on Hulu in America.

It's likely that another streamer or two will have international rights and the movie ends up on another service in Canada... but I don't want to wait.

I also just wanted to point out that nobody seemed to even know that was the case, and nothing was said by anybody who would have known. I feel like that's kind of a shitty thing to do. Netflix just did that with The Munsters too. Only available in the States, but nobody said a word about that until everyone was wondering how people were watching it on Netflix.

In the case of the Munsters, apparently even director Rob Zombie was surprised when that happened. Nobody could have told the guy making the movie that he should advertise it accordingly?

On 03/10/2022 at 15:08, Your Mom said:

Now this would have been a cool movie!

I would love this. I actually didn't watch the X Files until after the show finished. My wife had watched them, then I rewatched the whole series with her and it was really good. This would be a fun cross over, or even like Jason or Freddy. Or Ash teams up with Mulder and Scully lol.

I want David Bruckner and Hulu to keep making Hellraiser movies.

The new one isn't perfect, by any means... but as a lifelong superfan of the series, I was just so bloody happy with the new movie. The biggest downfall for me is that it felt like five or six hours compressed into two. There is just so much to explore.

The original film felt the opposite to me, in that it very obviously took a short story and stretched it. This new world that they introduced us to in the new film is packed with lore and ideas that could have been the meat of an entire season of a show, or two or three films.

There were a ton of trippy visuals, aided by the fact that I downed a bunch of shrooms before we watched it. Pieces and places move and shift, and it's incredibly gorgeous. The cenobites themselves are just beautifully haunting, and our new Hell Priestess does an amazing job of taking ownership of the role of Pinhead.

I want more.

Review in a Nutshell: It's Hellraiser meets Thirteen Ghosts. If that doesn't sound interesting, you may want to skip this one... but do so at your own peril, for they have such sights to show you.

On 07/10/2022 at 12:39, Gabriel said:

New Hellraiser is out. I am hearing fantastic things, but for some reason, they only have the streaming rights for the US, so it's currently only on Hulu in America.

It's likely that another streamer or two will have international rights and the movie ends up on another service in Canada... but I don't want to wait.

I also just wanted to point out that nobody seemed to even know that was the case, and nothing was said by anybody who would have known. I feel like that's kind of a shitty thing to do. Netflix just did that with The Munsters too. Only available in the States, but nobody said a word about that until everyone was wondering how people were watching it on Netflix.

In the case of the Munsters, apparently even director Rob Zombie was surprised when that happened. Nobody could have told the guy making the movie that he should advertise it accordingly?

I watched the new Hellraiser, and it was....disappointing. Special effects were great, but other than that....meh. 

Yeah, I came down on the side of it being fine but nothing extraordinary or anything. I think I'm used to the later sequels piling on gimmicks so it felt very basic but that might just be because they're using this as the entry point with it being a reboot and then they'll branch off later on.

21 minutes ago, King Ellis said:

Yeah, I came down on the side of it being fine but nothing extraordinary or anything. I think I'm used to the later sequels piling on gimmicks so it felt very basic but that might just be because they're using this as the entry point with it being a reboot and then they'll branch off later on.

Keep in mind that everything after Bloodline and before the two most recent sequels were actually not Hellraiser scripts originally. They were literally made by Dimension so that they could hold onto the rights. They found scripts they liked, and shoe-horned Pinhead and the Cenobites into them. So, they were vastly different from what Barker's initial vision was.

This new timeline, or world, or whatever you want to call it... it's going to expand, for sure. Part of the allure of the franchise is that there are so many different ways it can be taken. But, to your point, the gimmicks in the later installments weren't by design FOR the franchise. They were part of the original scripts that were re-worked.

That said, Inferno is still one of my favorites in the franchise. Hellraiser noir? Fuck yeah, bud.

• Like 1

Hell yes, I liked Inferno as well. That's the sort of thing I meant about adding something the sequels so it's not just the same thing on repeat, you're sort of pulling back the story a bit so it's kinda like someone on the outside looking in and investigating these puzzle box related deaths as if it's a serial killer.