The Horror Thread

zero

13 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Terrifier 2.

If you enjoy over the top gore, a charismatic villain and long for the days of 80's horror... this movie is a love letter to you.

We got to be one of ten (I believe) cinema's across Canada to get this release, and it's the absolute coolest thing my city has ever had. Even in limited release, Terrifier 2 has made its budget back over twenty times already. Expect an announcement for a third entry in the franchise based on that alone.

Art the Clown will be the new Freddy Krueger.

I had been wondering if anybody had seen this.

I haven't, but I'm curious. I don't know if I really want to sit through extreme gore these days but Art The Clown is definitely a great character. I think part of what makes him scary is that unlike say Jason who usually just kills you and moves on, Art makes sure he kills in the most horrific agonizing way.

14 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

I had been wondering if anybody had seen this.

I haven't, but I'm curious. I don't know if I really want to sit through extreme gore these days but Art The Clown is definitely a great character. I think part of what makes him scary is that unlike say Jason who usually just kills you and moves on, Art makes sure he kills in the most horrific agonizing way.

I feel like if you enjoyed the first movie, the sequel (even with the increased violence and gore) should be more than engaging enough to be enjoyable for you.

Yeah, it's over the top and I definitely saw a bunch of people having a hard time watching some of the violence... but it's Art that makes it worthwhile, not the violence itself. If you can plant your tongue firmly in your cheek and just enjoy watching Art make art, it's a hell of a ride.

The main actress absolutely fucking kills it, too. If I don't see more of her in horror, I'm going to be very disappointed.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Watching Barbarian on HBO Max. I did like everyone said and I'm going in blind. The only thing I know is Justin Long is in it. I'm like actually scared right now :lol: 

I only really have heard two quotes about Barbarian, and my interest was piqued. First one was "it's like a scary ass rollercoaster... without a safety bar". The second one was basically "when you think it's gotten as fucked up as it is going to get, they come back at you and get even more fucked up".

How did you feel about it? We are going to be watching it tonight.

1 hour ago, Gabriel said:

I only really have heard two quotes about Barbarian, and my interest was piqued. First one was "it's like a scary ass rollercoaster... without a safety bar". The second one was basically "when you think it's gotten as fucked up as it is going to get, they come back at you and get even more fucked up".

How did you feel about it? We are going to be watching it tonight.

I don't want to say too much because it really is best to not know ahead of time. I will say those quotes are quite accurate though :P 

• Like 1

Barbarian was really good.

That said, maybe Terrifier 2 raised the bar, but I wasn't blown away by anything in Barbarian. The gore and effects were great, but of the two movies that are claiming to be crossing lines and making people uncomfortable, I've gotta give the edge to Terrifier by a landslide.

• Like 1

When it comes to gore, I prefer either zombie movies, or films where the victims are just whiny or jerk enough...or plain old stupid...that you don't have a ton of sympathy for them.

Then again, I also prefer the classics. I can watch a good old Vincent Price film or most Hammer films any day.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been on a massive horror kick for the last little while... 

I've watched the Scream movies... I mean, they're great... I loved the last one and look forward to the new one coming out. 

This week I've had Friday the 13th playing while I'm doing housework... I mean, it's campy, no surprise there. It's... cringy how overtly sexist these 80s films were... boobs, boobs everywhere. I'm also deepy offended that the original is 43 years old because I'm an 80s baby and that's just... rude... the 60s were 40 years ago. Fuck. 

Part 1

Spoiler

It's one of the better ones by default. I consistently forget how Jason has nothing to do with the film, beyond the backstory plot.

Completely forgot Kevin Bacon was in this. 

The final fight scene between Pamela and Alice was pretty cringe... haha the acting was hokey AF, especially Mrs Vorhees.

But overall was a fun movie. It was wild going back to it, because it's been at least 20 years since I've seen it and I had totally forgotten who the "final girl" was... I had misremembered and mixed some of the franchise together.

It's also strange how this movie, in a way, invented a lot of the horror tropes we've come to accept as the stereotypical slasher thing... and then, this entry is so different to the rest of the series in a way which consistently deviates from it's original plot. It's the first but it almost doesn't belong.

Part 2

Spoiler

I enjoyed this one almost as much as the first, and the whole ending sequence is the one I confused as being in the original one (also, Ginny is the character I associated with the Final Girl trope most from this series). That was, to be, the quintessential Jason ending in the series... the impersonating the mother and whatnot.

I liked the opening scene, even though it was a bit anti-climatic... actually, I've noticed that a lot of the Jason films are fairly lackluster on gore overall... I mean, some is brutal but a lot of it cuts away from the actual gore and shows a shot of the body after (budget reasons I'm sure, from experience, gore is expensive). 

This was a strong follow up to the first, imo. I'd rank just below it.

Part 3

Spoiler

SO physically, this is the Jason character's birth... this is the vision we all know when we think of him. 

I can't say I disliked the movie, it was just more of the typical stuff... I'm not sure how I feel about the plot point of Chris having been a previous survivor of Jason attacks as a girl and is now returning to .... forget or face or relive the trauma? It's an odd sell... It also kinda negates the origins of the character with it happening to her as a kid if the year prior was when he rose from the water and began his attacks...? 

Anyways, nothing offensive but I didn't find it especially memorable as a movie.

Part 4 (aka The Final Chapter)

Spoiler

Meh... I mean, I popped more at seeing Cory Feldman here, which is another star to be I completely forgot about, as well as Crispin Glover. 

The open of him waking up in the morgue was another Jason scene that is seeped in my memory. 

The fact of having a kid in here... mehhhhhhhhh ..... I felt like they were trying to set him up to be the "new" Jason, but then... didn't follow through with the next movies. The end really played into that, with the head shaving and slashing of Jason and stuff. 

Largely forgettable though, and what wasn't was not particularly good.

Part 5 (A New Beginning)

Spoiler

I did not care for this much... Again, mostly blah and not really memorable. 

I did not care for the reveal that it was NOT Jason this time, but a copy-cat murderer who was out for revenge because his son died in a previous film? 

The tractor thing was a bit lame and nothing from the film really stood out to me very much. I don't really have anything to say. 

Part 6 (Jason Lives)

Spoiler

This one is interesting... Jason is now fully some undead monster demon thing officially... Which adds to the lore. 

It also is pretty much a tongue-in-cheek parody of itself, breaking the fourth wall and whatnot. 

This is classic Tommy Jarvis at his finest. He and Megan are really good characters. It was watching the series return to form, quite frankly, and was one of the better entries in the series easily... I'd put it at a solid third personally. 

The ending was, I mean... they're also fairly melodramatic, so nothing unsurprising of offensive there, but yea... it was fun, and I had forgotten about the chain and rock thing in the lake. The boat motor thing... I had a good time with this one. 

The paintball scene was ridiculous. I laughed but .. what even was that haha 

Part 7 (The New Blood)

Spoiler

What a stupid movie. Genuinely... this was the worst of the series to date, easily (and I've seen the newer ones all already and from memory... this is the worst)

The Telekenetic Final Girl thing was completely stupid. Hogwash. The final scene was like a Dollar Store Girl from Poltergeist grew up to be a Dollar Store Carrie and she has to fight Jason.. by throwing a house plant at him. 

The characters were idiots... and I know with these slashers there's always a suspension of belief where logic gets thrown out the window but.... towards the end, fuck right off. First theres the bitchy Melissa who decides right when hell is breaking loose that "I'm going home to sleep" and eats an axe upon opening the door... And then the lead, Tina, uses her magic powers to shut the door and pull a table in front of the door.... but puts the table on the jason side of the door, and then is surprised when he manages to get through her barricade.... girl... 

I'm mad he didn't kill them. To be clear. 

I'll give it a positive though.... the character design of a decaying water-logged Jason is absolutely top level. The chain, the bones sticking out... well done special effects, makeup and costume teams. well done.

Oh, and the sleeping bag kill. I forgot it was in this, and I was not disappointed.

Part 8 (Jason Takes Manhattan)

Spoiler

I forgot this title existed... I have really low hopes... but I also have a really low bar because of the last dumpster fire.

I'll say, it was far from a strong entry, but not as offensive as I would have thought. Much better than Part 7. 

Jason harldy takes Manhattan, so much as he takes the high seas because 3/4 of the film take place on a boat (two boats if you count the opening). The Final Girl, Rennie... she sees child Jason throughout... ugh. Hated that. Bad trope. 

Her whole bonding with him underwater (well... trauma bonding through him trying to kill her) was one thing, but the reveal in a burning puddle of gasoline was not as dramatic as they likely thought. Him turning back into a kid, I guess, was meant to humanize him.... but.... I dunno, none of this worked very well. 

Too much melodrama again. The decapitating the boxer on the roof was fun, the acid vat... I mean, typical 1989 stuff, when you see Ninja Turles, Batman, etc. I actually found this one okay when they were on the boat (aside from ghost Jason kid) and if they could've played it straight throughout in that situation (ie. No Manhattan), it would have fared better imo. 

Up Next is Jason Goes to Hell ... and Sci-Fi Jason X before doign the remake... might jump into Freddy vs Jason too.