The Horror Thread

zero

39 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Regarding Jason Takes Manhattan:

Hide contents

The boxer is in the running for `Dumbest Motherfucker To Ever Try And Fight Jason'. Easily my favorite kill in that movie.

And Jason X sucks.

Agreed. On both those counts haha... But I remember watching Jason X in high school and it was .... I mean, dumb... but I think I got more enjoyment out of it at the time than I got from Part 7... Fuck the telekenetic thing.... wtf were they thinking?

Jason X is a shit movie, but it's a fun shit movie, especially if you were a fan of any 90's or early 00's Sci-Fi on television. It feels like a really out there episode of Andromeda without Kevin Sorbo.

That's probably what they should have done. Kevin Sorbo would have saved that movie.

Goes to Hell has some interesting ideas, unfortunately they aren't ideas that I find interesting for the Friday the 13th franchise.

The remake, while oft-criticized, is actually one of my favorites. I would have liked some explanation into how Jason is so intelligent, being that he stopped his standard learning very early in life and is likely neuro-divergent. Maybe that was something they would have explored in a sequel.

This franchise needs to get out of legal hell so that we can get a proper Predator/Prey style reboot. Give the characters to someone with reverence for them and a track record of delivering genuinely good films, and let them go crazy.

• Like 2

Friday The 13th is my favourite slasher series, but I can't stand Jason X. It's the only one I don't really go back to. The only scene that resonates for me is...

Spoiler

...when they use a "holodeck" to distract Jason with a scene from the 1980s. 

The movie does have a couple of interesting kills, but the characters are awful and the sets look cheap despite a pretty big budget. It feels "Canadian", if that makes any sense.

• Thanks 1

I watched Jason X last month for Friday the 13th and I enjoyed it, I'd say for the first half it was very bland but you can pinpoint it to the moment when the android gets re-programmed for when the movie goes totally cuckoo bananas and I love it for it. The majority of the movies have bored me to tears so I appreciated some of the later ones like this or Part 7 in that sort of Hellraiser 'let's cram Pinhead into someone elses screenplay' way. We've already seen Jason murder a bunch of stupid kids around Crystal Lake half a dozen times now so Jason randomly turns up in a sci-fi serial or fights against Carrie? Sure, why not?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/02/2023 at 11:00, Gabriel said:

Jason X is a shit movie, but it's a fun shit movie, especially if you were a fan of any 90's or early 00's Sci-Fi on television. It feels like a really out there episode of Andromeda without Kevin Sorbo.

That's probably what they should have done. Kevin Sorbo would have saved that movie.

Goes to Hell has some interesting ideas, unfortunately they aren't ideas that I find interesting for the Friday the 13th franchise.

The remake, while oft-criticized, is actually one of my favorites. I would have liked some explanation into how Jason is so intelligent, being that he stopped his standard learning very early in life and is likely neuro-divergent. Maybe that was something they would have explored in a sequel.

This franchise needs to get out of legal hell so that we can get a proper Predator/Prey style reboot. Give the characters to someone with reverence for them and a track record of delivering genuinely good films, and let them go crazy.

I think the reboot is probably the best film in the series. It tied all of the lore together coherently and cut much of the dumb/dull shit out of the earlier entries. He was a big, brutal hunter/trapper that had been hiding out in the woods for years.

• Like 1

I think this qualifies for Horror but I watched Megan tonight because I just felt like something kinda dumb and it was fine I guess but I was wondering

Spoiler

Why did she kill the Ceo and his assistant? Like I could connect the logic to how all her other kills were to look out for the little girl but why those two?

• Like 1

It wasn't everyone's bag, but it really sucks to me that the return of Jamie Lee Curtis to the original Halloween franchise is the first "reboot" technically, with H20. I really wanted to see more about the Cult of Thorn and where that would have gone.

I think that 6's biggest issue isn't that it wildly swung for the fences with the cult story and introduction of more supernatural type shenanigans, but that it tried to do it all within the one film and at the expense of too much established lore and expectations.

To me, the most interesting direction that a new team could take Michael Myers is to revisit that idea, and I really thought that we were going to get that with the new movies after Halloween Kills, but then Ends was just what it was.

Anyways, to the original point, the Jamie Lloyd stuff and the Cult of Thorn are completely disregarded in H20, and it really bums me out because they didn't necessarily need to be... and in the case of Thorn, I believe that it could have made for a more horrifying experience for H20.

We are watching through the "Original Timeline" and just have the Busta Rhymes classic Resurrection left to go. I just really felt the need to talk up the sequel that I think could have and should have breathed new life into the franchise... only to have them turn around and just completely omit it at the next possible turn.

The Curse of Michael Myers is one of my favorite Halloween films, if only because of the wasted potential. Plus, Paul Rudd plays Paul Rudd, survivor of Myers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Renfield was an absolute delight. Nicholas Hoult brings some Warm Bodies type charm to the character, and Nic Cage as Dracula was amazing.

It isn't anything game changing, by any means, but it was an incredibly fun and light movie filled with all kinds of cool gore.

Unrelated, my partner and I are re-watching The Haunting of Hill House for the first time since it came out. We are three episodes in, and I've damn near felt like crying during all of them. It's hitting me really hard, personally, being about loss, grief and skewing the lines between mental health and the supernatural.

Also, Carla Gugino is ❤️

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Scream 5

Spoiler

By far the weakest film in the franchise. There's absolutely no heart to it, it's not got its tongue in cheek charm Scream is famous for and almost comes across as ashamed of its own origins. Poor characters, dull villain motivations, and they manage to kill off Dewey in the film least deserving in the entire franchise.

It's an okay film in and of itself I suppose, but really disappointed in this one given my expectations of Scream.

26 minutes ago, Benji said:

Scream 5

Hide contents

By far the weakest film in the franchise. There's absolutely no heart to it, it's not got its tongue in cheek charm Scream is famous for and almost comes across as ashamed of its own origins. Poor characters, dull villain motivations, and they manage to kill off Dewey in the film least deserving in the entire franchise.

It's an okay film in and of itself I suppose, but really disappointed in this one given my expectations of Scream.

The only thing I liked about Scream 5:

Spoiler

How they killed off the female villain. And fuck everyone involved who decided that killing off Dewey was a good idea. Why not kill off Sidney, instead? They said Neve Campbell didn't return for 6 due to a pay dispute, but I seem to remember her saying she was done with Scream before then. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Forgot to say - saw Scream 6 the other week and thankfully it was a decent return to form.

Spoiler

A little weak for killing none of the new "main four", and a little predictable (called the dad being one of the killers early, the others not though), but a fun romp and mostly what I'd hope for. If Dewey had died in this instead of 5, I would be less annoyed by it.

Five Nights At Freddy's was extremely underwhelming, imo. In a vacuum it was an ok movie, and the main guy does an alright job, but the movie never really gets out of first gear and it never really elicits any of the feelings of the game(s). A lot of time feels wasted to somehow both over and under establish character and plot points; time that could have been much better spent on other things. Also, super entirely too predictable. 

3 hours ago, Krabby said:

Five Nights At Freddy's was extremely underwhelming, imo. In a vacuum it was an ok movie, and the main guy does an alright job, but the movie never really gets out of first gear and it never really elicits any of the feelings of the game(s). A lot of time feels wasted to somehow both over and under establish character and plot points; time that could have been much better spent on other things. Also, super entirely too predictable. 

They already made a better FNAF movie called Willy's Wonderland.

We watched Saw X the other day, and I quite enjoyed it. The hype about it being gorier than Terrifier 2 can suck it, because it didn't deliver on that, but it's a really cool twist on the franchise. X and Spiral are two of my favorite of the series. It's definitely got that gore turned up a bit from previous entries, but it's the changing of the story beats and playing around with the established ideas that really kept me interested.