The Horror Thread

zero

On 23/10/2021 at 20:32, GhostMachine said:

They're doing a new Hellraiser, but.....Pinhead is going to be a woman. Not sure if its a continuation or a remake, but it apparently has Barker's blessing.

If you read the book, 'Pinhead' is described as looking androgynous but with a feminine voice.  So casting a woman makes more sense

• 1 month later...

In news that is surprising to no one who subscribes, Shudder hit another home run with the original film The Dark and the Wicked.

I can honestly say that I have yet to sit down to watch a Shudder exclusive that disappointed me. There are some that I don't find interesting enough to watch, but every single one that has intrigued me enough to sit down has been a hit.

Speaking of... if you guys haven't, get on watching Psycho Goreman. That shit is one of my favorite films from last year.

22 hours ago, Gabriel said:

In news that is surprising to no one who subscribes, Shudder hit another home run with the original film The Dark and the Wicked.

I can honestly say that I have yet to sit down to watch a Shudder exclusive that disappointed me. There are some that I don't find interesting enough to watch, but every single one that has intrigued me enough to sit down has been a hit.

Speaking of... if you guys haven't, get on watching Psycho Goreman. That shit is one of my favorite films from last year.

Psycho Goreman is crazy. Just full of crazy practical effects and an insane plot. 

• Like 2

On 16/01/2022 at 16:21, Baddar said:

I think we're having a bit of a Scream night tonight. A bit ambitious to watch the 4 of them this evening, but it'll be the first two at a minimum, with 3 and 4 next weekend, ahead of a trip to the cinema to see the new one soon.

So we watched the first two. 3 and 4 will be tomorrow night, and the new one at some point in the next week or two.

Realised it's an 18 cert is good too. Means we won't have to deal with yappy teens in the cinema. As an extra bonus, I still have over £40 to spend at Cineworld in vouchers, so it'll be a free trip essentially.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's Scream day!

Our showing is at around 1pm. I'm trying not to go in thinking I'll love it, but based off the current IMDB score it seems like it's been well received. We've purposely avoided everything about the film so far, including trailers etc. All I know is it has an ageing original cast. 

• 4 weeks later...

The new Scream movie was really good. Definitely a worthy addition to the franchise, but I don't think it came anywhere near being as good as Scream 4. Granted, 4 is probably my favorite of the sequels... but given all the hype, I was hoping that 5 would improve upon it.

Again though, definitely good and worth watching. I just think 4 was better.

On 23/02/2022 at 13:19, Gabriel said:

The new Scream movie was really good. Definitely a worthy addition to the franchise, but I don't think it came anywhere near being as good as Scream 4. Granted, 4 is probably my favorite of the sequels... but given all the hype, I was hoping that 5 would improve upon it.

Again though, definitely good and worth watching. I just think 4 was better.

Spoiler

That legacy kill though 😭

James Wan continues to just pump out shit that appeases the lifelong horror fan in me. I love how he wears the influences from his youth on his sleeve. Malignant was a massive surprise for me. All I knew about it was that it was Wan... we turned it on, and it's easily one of the more enjoyable rides I've taken in recent years.

The movie had me guessing right up to the point where it's revealed what is actually happening, the visuals were really fucking cool, and again... James Wan, guys.

• Haha 1

On 02/03/2022 at 13:32, Gabriel said:

James Wan continues to just pump out shit that appeases the lifelong horror fan in me. I love how he wears the influences from his youth on his sleeve. Malignant was a massive surprise for me. All I knew about it was that it was Wan... we turned it on, and it's easily one of the more enjoyable rides I've taken in recent years.

The movie had me guessing right up to the point where it's revealed what is actually happening, the visuals were really fucking cool, and again... James Wan, guys.

I fucking hated that movie

• Like 1

I suppose in other news that has tested the textile strength in my pants, but may not excite everyone... Fede Alvarez will be directing the next Alien flick, for release through Hulu. Ridley Scott is producing, but I don't believe he's writing it, which makes me immensely happy. Alvarez's Evil Dead was divisive, but I absolutely adore it... and what he did with Don't Breathe makes me feel like he'll be able to recapture the claustrophobic feelings from the original Alien, while maintaining the aggression and chaos of Aliens.

Studio 666 was a lot of fun. FX and acting are considerably better than one would expect from a Foo Fighters movie that kind of just came out of nowhere. It probably won't get regular play from me, but I will definitely revisit it in a couple of years if I need something familiar to watch.

We also watched Fresh on Disney+ recently. Sebastian Stan is fucking great. I really dug this movie, but it's a hard one to talk about without giving anything away. I got

Spoiler

Boxing Helena

type vibes from the flick, but enjoyed it immensely more.

• 1 month later...

Is there any buzz yet on the Firestarter remake? Even if I was indifferent on the original, I'm always curious about a Stephen King adaptation and the Blumhouse involvement is a positive sign. I'd forgotten that the original actually had some names in it. Child Drew Barrymore and early fame Heather Locklear aside you also had George C Scott and Martin Sheen.

• Like 1