Comic Book Thread 2023

Jimmy

Just finished the third volume of Gideon Falls, which continues to be a totally engaging and mind-bending read. It's one of the most visual comics I've ever read, very much a volume that was about atmosphere over narrative, Jeff Lemire has me gripped. 

Also used some time in Lockdown to jump back on Marvel Unlimited and just finished binging House of X / Powers of X, which I thought was great. I've always loved the X-Men and was keen to dive into something of this size and ambition and was left really impressed and fulfilled by its scope. Think I might stick with it and try and read a bunch of Dawn of X titles and really dig into what Hickman's has set up. 

Hoping to stick with Marvel Unlimited a bit and finish the Brian K. Vaughan's Runaways, catch up with Immortal Hulk and take a punt on something else if I still have the appetite post Dawn of X. 

Also have new volumes of Snot Girl, Monstress and Skyward stacked up. Feels like a good time for comics. 

On 02/01/2021 at 04:39, Jimmy said:

Just finished the third volume of Gideon Falls, which continues to be a totally engaging and mind-bending read. It's one of the most visual comics I've ever read, very much a volume that was about atmosphere over narrative, Jeff Lemire has me gripped. 

Also used some time in Lockdown to jump back on Marvel Unlimited and just finished binging House of X / Powers of X, which I thought was great. I've always loved the X-Men and was keen to dive into something of this size and ambition and was left really impressed and fulfilled by its scope. Think I might stick with it and try and read a bunch of Dawn of X titles and really dig into what Hickman's has set up. 

Hoping to stick with Marvel Unlimited a bit and finish the Brian K. Vaughan's Runaways, catch up with Immortal Hulk and take a punt on something else if I still have the appetite post Dawn of X. 

Also have new volumes of Snot Girl, Monstress and Skyward stacked up. Feels like a good time for comics. 

Wait, you can get Marvel Unlimited? I thought it was only available in the US. :( 

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody got any suggestions for Marvel books that are exclusively about female characters? I'm loving G. Willow Wilson's Ms. Marvel run, got the first volume of Saladin Ahmed's Ms. Marvel waiting in my backlog, and already read the first volume of Black Cat's series too.

Someone on DVDVR suggested the newer Wasp & Mockingbird series. I'm looking at the America Chavez one, too. And there's a big Black Widow omnibus on Amazon I'm eyeing, but it's got really old stuff in there that I'm not really into (only really dig the mid/late 90s until now style artwork).

I also prefer collected editions/volumes/omnibuses instead of single issues, so...

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished off THE WALKING DEAD, having borrowed all the TPBs over a period of several months.

However the tv series ends, I've got a feeling its going to suck in comparison. Especially since Carl is dead in the tv show.

One observation: 

Spoiler

In the future, I'm not so sure about Carl telling Maggie that Herschel might turn out to be another Sebastian. I get what Herschel was trying to accomplish from his final dialog, but at the same time he was a douchebag for caring more about Carl killing his stray walker than about the damage it could have caused if Carl hadn't taken it out. But the people siding with Herschel just shows how society has changed without the threat.

• 3 weeks later...

I just came up with an idea for a Flash Villain.

Ok so he has Super Speed but not in the familiar way. His is limited to his brain and short physical bursts so he's able to use his mind to make super advanced calculations to determine when he needs to kick his burst in to swing for a blow to actually hit The Flash when he comes at him. This way he's a problem for Flash and normal people but you can't really look at him and say he should be a major problem for everyone and every place on earth. He uses a broken clock motif because he's a broken Speedster that relies on timing his actions.  I figure he has like a fucked up connection to the Speed Force and as such he's either pained by using the powers physically or he's a little unhinged and nutty.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is your general everything thread to talk about Comic Books in 2021. What are you reading? Needing a recommendation for something to read. Any and all discussion on the best comic books. 

So remember when Marvel were putting a load of free content on Unlimited last year during lockdowns, including some Star Wars stuff? In the months since I now have 5 hardcover omnibuses and 3 TPBs, making them the first comics I've bought since their Transformers ones in the late 80s. Well played Marvel, you sneaky sods.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I haven't read comics regularly in years, but I know we already had Renee Montoya, Kate Kane, Catwoman, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy representing the LGBTQ+ in the Batman franchise (A bit surprised at the lack of a male character until now). Are there any LGBTQ+ Superman franchise characters, besides Maggie Sawyer? (I haven't read a Superman comic in well over a decade!)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Your Mom changed the title to Comic Book Thread 2022
  • 1 month later...

Been reading about that over at Byrne Robotics.

George Perez was one of my top 5 all-time favorite artists. I don't own any original artwork, but I do have a Power Girl print signed by him. 

R.I.P., one of the GOATs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...