Comic Book Thread 2023

Jimmy

• 1 month later...

DC Comics decided to finally reveal the Joker's real name, and....its underwhelming.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/entertainment/other/dc-comics-has-finally-revealed-the-joker-s-real-name/ar-AA11Gbs2

Spoiler

Jack Oswald White. Gee, how original. They took the name of a famous musician and gave him the Penguin's first name as his middle one. *Yawn*

Well, at least its not Joe Kerr....

• 5 months later...

Heard that the creators of Dark will be adapting Something is Killing the Children so I decided to check it out.  Really enjoying it.  It’s crazy how prolific James Tynion can be and still crank out quality. 

• 1 month later...

So, I haven't watched the series yet, but read a lot of The Sandman graphic novels, before having to tap out and say "no mas" because, well, I can't be the only one who suffers from Gaiman Fatigue™️.

Anyway, there is 1 of the series that focuses on a character who showed up earlier as a child, and she is now living in, I think NY, and is in a same sex relationship. In this story, there is a, frankly, quite brilliant depiction of a trans character who

Spoiler

gets killed, but her spirit is seen at the end, entering the afterlife as a beautiful woman, whom they had always felt they were inside

but this is all juxtaposed with a lesbian character who firmly believes that an abortion involves the sacrifice of a live rabbit. Like, what? That was where I tapped out of reading the series, to be honest. Is that weird? Am I remembering this right? I don't want to go back through it, because, well, I can't say I am a fan of Gaiman overall, rather than as a fantastic initial ideas guy, and even a great opening act writer.

On 24/04/2023 at 21:24, Ace-hole Rimmer said:

In this story, there is a, frankly, quite brilliant depiction of a trans character 

A Game Of You is probably my favourite Sandman book, helped along by it being the first I read. It was the first positive portrayal of a trans character I had ever seen in any media, and it always stuck with me. I read it back in maybe 2001/2, and it was published in 1993, yet people still have the audacity to pretend that trans issues appeared out of nowhere in the last few years. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Your Mom changed the title to Comic Book Thread 2023
On 20/05/2023 at 01:31, Your Mom said:

I'm starting to edge back into reading comics again. I'm really into Superman right now. Can someone recommend me some good Supes stories? Please no Superman turns evil stuff. I want proper Boy Scout "save a cat in a tree" Superman please :) 

I wouldn't say all of the run is like that, but for a run that has some good boy scout Superman moments is Scott Lobdell, if you can move past the fact the guy has a shady history history of sexual assault he's only half heartedly apologised for AFAIK. I don't like suggesting his run on that basis, but I have to admit from a creative point it's probably the closest Supes has been in the last decade or so.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 19/05/2023 at 19:31, Your Mom said:

I'm starting to edge back into reading comics again. I'm really into Superman right now. Can someone recommend me some good Supes stories? Please no Superman turns evil stuff. I want proper Boy Scout "save a cat in a tree" Superman please :) 

It may not be a comic book but it gave me exactly what I wanted :wub:

On 19/05/2023 at 20:31, Your Mom said:

Avoid reprints of early Golden Age stories, then. Because, just like Batman, he either killed bad guys or just let them die early on.

• 1 month later...

I get that mutants are Marvel's strongest allegory for real world issues, but I really do wish that they'd allow them to also do more stuff outside that bubble in modern comics.

100% don't want them not to do the allegorical stuff, but it'd be like writing a gay character and writing almost nothing about that character other than stuff about them being gay. Yes it's important to tell, but it's almost as insulting making every story about that facet of their truth as not telling it at all because it reduces them to one particular character trait and makes it all you see about them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone please explain what I'm not getting from some of the stupid shit Marvel has done, because I quit reading comics regularly years ago, but keep up on things frm time to time, and read about all this recently, despite some of it probably being old:

Spoiler

1. The One Above All (God?) and The One Below All (Devil?) are the same entity, with a split personality disorder or something?

2. Galactus' mother, from the universe that existed before the Big Bang, is in the current Marvel Universe, is a member of a cosmic Defenders team, and The OAA won't let her go back to where she came from, because her knowledge of what her son became is dangerous. Can't wipe her knowledge?

3. Mephisto is the one responsible for all the bad crap that's happened to Spider-Man, because he's afraid of him. Seriously? Spider-Man, and not Doctor Strange, Doctor Doom, Ghost Rider, or one of the cosmic heroes like Silver Surfer? 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Benji said:

Serious question - has there been any good Peter Parker Spider-Man stories since One More Day? The Otto stuff was decent. Miles has had good stuff. Peters stuff has mostly been utter crap from what I can remember.

I've read through a lot of Nick Spencer's run and I like it (currently up to volume twelve). I kind of think he is specifically only good at writing Spider-Man characters and basically nothing else in Marvel, so them sticking him back in his lane after the Cap bullshit was smart. The arc that's basically Kraven the Hunter snatching up every single superhero and villain with an animal theme and trapping them all in Central Park for rich assholes in supersuits to hunt was really great.

• Like 1