The Sir Alex Ferguson Thread (For Manager related news)

Baddar

On 14/06/2022 at 12:24, Lineker said:

You report this filth and not mention Blackburn have appointed Jon Dahl Tomasson as manager?

I think it is time for you to be booked in for a performance review...

• Like 3

Rooney has resigned as Derby manager. Inevitable.

Given the circumstances he did a really commendable job and I suspect will land in the championship again.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2022 at 13:18, Twist said:

Rooney has resigned as Derby manager. Inevitable.

Given the circumstances he did a really commendable job and I suspect will land in the championship again.

He's now going back to DC United, the club he left abruptly for Derby, to be their new manager. That's absolutely shocking considering Everton wanted to hire him just 6 months ago. Really surprised he's doing this.

5 hours ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

He's now going back to DC United, the club he left abruptly for Derby, to be their new manager. That's absolutely shocking considering Everton wanted to hire him just 6 months ago. Really surprised he's doing this.

Not sure we wanted him to be honest. The press loved the idea but Everton pursued Martinez, then Pereira, then Lampard.

Rooney obviously wants to work and there's no openings in England at the moment. I'm sure he can leave DC at the drop of a hat again if a job he fancies crops up, but to be honest I'd not see him landing higher than the Championship at this stage because whilst he did an admirable job in difficult circumstances at Derby, he hasn't really done anything notable as a manager yet.

2 hours ago, Adam said:

Not sure we wanted him to be honest. The press loved the idea but Everton pursued Martinez, then Pereira, then Lampard.

Rooney obviously wants to work and there's no openings in England at the moment. I'm sure he can leave DC at the drop of a hat again if a job he fancies crops up, but to be honest I'd not see him landing higher than the Championship at this stage because whilst he did an admirable job in difficult circumstances at Derby, he hasn't really done anything notable as a manager yet.

I could have sworn he confirmed Everton contacted him/offered it to him. But I will pretty much always defer to you on stuff like this because I know you know more about Everton than me! 

Coming back to DC is weird since a big reason he left was his family didn't like it here. Wouldn't be surprised if there's something going on there either that made him happy to return to DC (and potentially alone)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

I could have sworn he confirmed Everton contacted him/offered it to him. But I will pretty much always defer to you on stuff like this because I know you know more about Everton than me! 

Coming back to DC is weird since a big reason he left was his family didn't like it here. Wouldn't be surprised if there's something going on there either that made him happy to return to DC (and potentially alone)

We may have sounded him out to be fair, but he wasn't close to first choice.

I do agree it seems odd on the face of it for him to go to DC. Maybe he/his family want to get away after the "Wagatha Christie" trial cos that hasn't helped anyone's reputation.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Adam said:

We may have sounded him out to be fair, but he wasn't close to first choice.

I do agree it seems odd on the face of it for him to go to DC. Maybe he/his family want to get away after the "Wagatha Christie" trial cos that hasn't helped anyone's reputation.

Ah I had forgotten about that whole saga. That's fair as he and his family can live relatively out of the public eye here just given the overall popularity of the MLS. DC and its suburbs are only surpassed by New York and LA in terms of the number of successful non-Americans settling down to avoid the media and tabloids in their home country.

• 2 months later...

Gerardo Seoane (Leverkusen) and Julen Lopetegui (Sevilla) both were sacked after last night in the Champions League. Sampaoli is going back to Sevilla, but the real shocker is Xabi Alonso is taking over at Leverkusen! We all knew he'd be manager somewhere soon at the senior level, but that's a big surprise