UEFA Europa Conference League 2021/22

Lineker

Beating Manchester City to losing to the 5th-best team in Portugal in one week is The Tottenham Hotspur Experience, alright (not that a single player that started against City played here).

I didn't watch it but on paper it basically looks like either we full-stop don't give a fuck about this competition or this leg was purely an exercise in evaluating depth and the answer is "our depth isn't great," which I basically already knew. Surprising that Nuno didn't bring a single first-choice attacker to come off the bench.

• Like 1

Return leg at home with a one goal difference still gives Tottenham a big chance of qualifying. From what I've read it sounded like a dreadful performance though. 

Glad it's turned out that Spurs do indeed give a fuck about this competition. This has been a fun game to this point, Bryan Gil is extremely lively.

Just saw that Lincoln Red Imps made it to the group stage and are now the first team from Gibraltar to make a group stage in a European club competition. That rules. I always like checking in on the early stages of Champions League qualification every year so that's one of those team names that became very familiar to me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DavidMarrio said:

Do Europa League clubs drop into this like Champions League clubs do with the Europa League? 

I think so but it's not the same as the Europa League where the teams that drop automatically go into the knockouts. There's a preliminary round or something between them and the group runners-up.

9 minutes ago, Adam said:

I don't understand what this competition is hoping to achieve.

Money for rich people.

But still, go Red Imps! 

• 3 weeks later...