SPOTY 2021

Lineker

• Admin

A shortlist of six contenders has been announced for the 2021 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.

The nominees are diver Tom Daley, boxer Tyson Fury, swimmer Adam Peaty, tennis player Emma Raducanu, footballer Raheem Sterling and Paralympic cyclist Dame Sarah Storey.

Voting will be open during the show on BBC One on Sunday, 19 December.

Gary Lineker, Clare Balding, Gabby Logan and Alex Scott will present the 68th annual awards.

The programme, filmed at MediaCity in Salford, will celebrate 12 months of incredible sporting action, which featured the Olympics and Paralympics.

The public can vote by phone or online on the night for the main award, with full details announced during the show.

Other awards to be announced include Young Sports Personality of the Year, Team and Coach of the Year, World Sport Star of the Year, Lifetime Achievement and Unsung Hero.

Who are the Sports Personality contenders?

Tyson Fury said he'd sue the BBC if he got on the shortlist because he doesn't want to win, although he also said that he should have won it before. He's just being a clot, as usual.

I could happily see any of the others win. I imagine it will go to Raducanu, thanks partly to the relative recency of her US Open victory, and I wouldn't have a problem with that. I am dreading the inevitable media backlash if she doesn't dominate next year and/or says something mildly progressive on Twitter, but that's an issue for the future.

• Admin

The three contenders for the BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year 2021 have been announced. The nominees are Borussia Dortmund and England footballer Jude Bellingham, skateboarder Sky Brown and Para-swimmer Ellie Challis.

The winner will be announced during the BBC Sports Personality of the Year show on Sunday at 18:45 GMT on BBC One, BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport website.

Diver Andrea Spendolini-Sirieix won the award in 2020.

It would feel a bit odd if Emma Raducanu won the main award without being nominated for the junior one. Obviously, they wanted some variety and to give some other people some attention.

It's interesting to look back at the previous winners. About half of them managed to break through and become major names in their sports, whereas the rest generally became reasonably good, but not world class in their fields. Golfer Lauren Taylor seems to be the only one who fell off the radar completely.

19 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

The main award goes to the best British sportsperson. Verstappen is eligible for the Overseas award.

Did you leave the EU?

I'm out... That diagnoses hurts me.