General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

I can't put my finger on why, but I feel like the golden age of TV has ended. There's plenty of stuff out there, but it's rare anything really gets me revving the way a lot of stuff in the late 00s and throughout the 10s did. It's odd, because there's so much extra now invested in TV, but it feels like it's quantity and not quality.

• Like 1

It doesn't help that when something new comes out you're torn between watching it straight away to avoid spoilers only to risk it being cancelled after a series. I'm generally fairly offline so can get away with it, but it means I'm far less likely to just try something out.

On 30/12/2022 at 17:20, Benji said:

I can't put my finger on why, but I feel like the golden age of TV has ended. There's plenty of stuff out there, but it's rare anything really gets me revving the way a lot of stuff in the late 00s and throughout the 10s did. It's odd, because there's so much extra now invested in TV, but it feels like it's quantity and not quality.

I feel like 2022 was the first really good TV year since the pandemic. Severance, Better Call Saul, Andor, The White Lotus, Station Eleven, The Sandman, Barry, Abbott Elementary, Only Murders In The Building, What We Do In The Shadows, 1899, Our Flag Means Death, Heartstopper, A League of Their Own. There was a lot of really good TV this year.

• Like 2

On 30/12/2022 at 17:20, Benji said:

I agree, but I do not think the quality has dropped off. I think what has occurred is that instead, 1) there is far too much out there to watch, 2) the zeitgeist is not focused on one TV show because there is so much out there and 3) there is a diversity of what is good on TV, so something may be good but not appeal to everyone. I am positive my brother would love Succession. However, he has no time to watch Succession because of all the other shows he watches and it is not something he would instinctually be gravitating towards. 

• Like 2

With me and my partner, unless we are really excited for something, we typically wait to see what the people we trust think (similar tastes) and/or if a second season is announced.

Netflix, in particular, has been guilty several times over of cancelling a show because it "didn't do well enough", only to have it turn out to become a major hit among the people who watch it because Netflix pulled the trigger too early. It really does feel like they believe that if something isn't binged immediately, it's not delivering.

My Netflix list alone is huge. Add in the other services out there, and I'm sitting on a giant stockpile of content that I'm interested in but haven't had the time for quite yet. There's probably been at least ten different shows sitting on my list that I end up just removing because they're cancelled within three months of the season dropping.

• Like 1

Got about twenty minutes into this year's Big Fat Quiz of Everything and had to give up. Just tragically unfunny.

Roisin and Rob are B-Tier at best and are only funny when they have better people to work off of. Rosie Jones isn't funny at all. Ayoade is decent as a regular but his schtick is old. I don't have a clue who the other two are at all and one of them seems like they don't want to be there.

Here's hoping Quiz of the Year is better.