General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

Had to dog-sit today, so I checked out Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities. Loved it.

I've always been a sucker for horror anthologies, except for AHS which I checked out during S3.

I like the introductions GdT does every episode, stating the episode name and the director, along with presenting a prop from the episode and a little figure representing the director. Its a nice little touch

• Like 1

https://amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/nov/17/neighbours-soap-opera-australia-to-return-on-amazon

Neighbours is coming back! Hope they tied Guy Pearce to a good deal...

Added bonus, they've got the back catalogue too, so when I get my annual months free trial for the football I can rewatch the House of Trouser era.

• Like 1

I bet they're glad they went with the "everyone stays on the street" ending so that all the cast are right there waiting to pick up where they left off.

I wonder if there was more than a little bit of hope of someone picking it up that led to the ending keeping everything at the status quo.

Been watching The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers and, I'm sure @Maxx won't be surprised, it seems like the Ducks are once again becoming the bad guys!

• Like 1

Started Dexter New Blood with some apprehension given how the original ended, but I'm enjoying it thus far. It's not going to hit the peaks of arguably best season of TV ever like four did, but if it ends in this consistent enjoyable quality, it'll have been worth it to give the show the send off it deserved.

Been watching Wednesday on Netflix, and  up to episode 5, its...fine.

I grew up with the Addams Family movies, so I"m comparing Luis Guzman and Catherine Zeta-Jones to Raul Julia and Angelica Huston.  Guzman and Zeta-Jones just don't have the same chemistry that Julia and Huston did.  It never really feels like they have that same undying passion for each other.  Though I do feel like, given a better script, Zeta-Jones could be a fantastic Morticia.

As far as Jenna Ortega goes, again, she's fine.  She delivers the deadpan humor very well.  However, there was one scene where she smiled, and I thought "Wednesday wouldn't have smiled there..." but overall she does pretty good in the role of Wednesday.

Overall, after watching 5 out of 8 episodes, I'd give it a 7/10.  Its fine.  Its not great, its not terrible.  Jenna Ortega and Catherine Zeta-Jones could do with a better script.  Luis Guzman just doesn't have the charisma or presence to be Gomez Addams.  I'm also surprised how, no matter the adaption of The Addams Family, Thing can make you feel things without ever saying a word

Netflix cancelled The Midnight Club.  Mike Flanagan has put a synopsis of what he had planned for S2 on Tumblr

7 hours ago, Lint said:

Netflix cancelled The Midnight Club.  Mike Flanagan has put a synopsis of what he had planned for S2 on Tumblr

Flanagan just signed an exclusive deal with Amazon Prime. We still haven't watched Midnight Club, but friends and critics that I trust to have a similar opinion to mine have led me to believe that it is the weakest work he's done in some time. I wonder what Prime offered him as a filmmaker that Netflix wasn't. Obviously, the money is better. Netflix is cost-cutting and Amazon is all-in right now. But I feel like there has to be some type of artistic freedom that he's been given, and that idea excites me. Hill House still hits me hard at the most random times. It was a really heavy show for me, and beautifully done.

I think The Midnight Club was very good at certain points, but not consistently so. The format has its strengths and weaknesses and the characters are generally quite engaging, and it generally did a good job of handling the emotions of dealing with terminal illness sensitively.

I think the biggest issue I had was that all the plot points were telegraphed very early on. Predictability isn't a problem in and of itself, but this particular story sometimes felt as if it was giving itself too much credit for big reveals the viewer had worked out hours previously.

3 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Flanagan just signed an exclusive deal with Amazon Prime. We still haven't watched Midnight Club, but friends and critics that I trust to have a similar opinion to mine have led me to believe that it is the weakest work he's done in some time. I wonder what Prime offered him as a filmmaker that Netflix wasn't. Obviously, the money is better. Netflix is cost-cutting and Amazon is all-in right now. But I feel like there has to be some type of artistic freedom that he's been given, and that idea excites me. Hill House still hits me hard at the most random times. It was a really heavy show for me, and beautifully done.

It wasn’t for the same audience of his previous stuff mostly. It was ok.

18 hours ago, Gabriel said:

We still haven't watched Midnight Club, but friends and critics that I trust to have a similar opinion to mine have led me to believe that it is the weakest work he's done in some time.

I don't think it was his weakest.  Personally, I think his weakest was Bly Manor.  I just couldn't get into that show at all.  I stopped watching after 3 or 4 episodes.

Midnight Club was OK.  I didn't like that they left stuff unexplained, but I didn't know they filmed it expecting a second season.  To me, it felt like a more mature version of Are You Afraid of the Dark

Al Strobel, who played MIKE/Phillip Gerrard in Twin Peaks has died. Strobel, who lost his arm at age 17 in a car accident, was initally cast simply as a nod to the one armed man in The Fugitive and wound up being a key reoccuring character.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, damhausen said:

I immediately think of this scene in Fire Walk With Me. Just incredible stuff.

Yes! I honestly don't think I've seen a film as intense as Fire Walk With Me. I remember I was physically shaking after watching it for the first time.

And it turns out that was Al Strobel's own campervan that he stunt drove himself.

• Like 1