General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

1 hour ago, FLiam said:

Is anyone else watching the current season of The White Lotus? 

Up there with the best television of 2022, it’s been outstanding so far.

Yeah it's been very very good. It makes me incredibly anxious and my stomach hurt, which is how I know it's good. 😆

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FLiam said:

Is anyone else watching the current season of The White Lotus? 

Up there with the best television of 2022, it’s been outstanding so far.

We just finished episode 4 and holy shit is it great. The moral ambiguity is next level. Similar to last season, midway through there are maximum 2 characters who remain morally okay, but I imagine that will change. 

• Like 1

On 04/12/2022 at 09:02, Hobo said:

Yes! I honestly don't think I've seen a film as intense as Fire Walk With Me. I remember I was physically shaking after watching it for the first time.

And it turns out that was Al Strobel's own campervan that he stunt drove himself.

Apparently people didn't like Fire Walk With Me when it came out which is damn lunacy. Just a great film, from the minute Sheryl Lee is on the screen until the end it's so, so intense. Knowing what's coming and hoping it won't, something special about that kind of storytelling.

• Like 1

I could have posted this in the Gaming thread instead, but as it relates to a TV show I'll put it here.

There's a new show on BBC called The Traitors, and it's basically Among Us in real life.

22 people start, the Traitors are then selected and it's the other player's job to weed them out. In between all that, they play as a team to build a prize pot which could reach 120k. I'm 2 episodes in and it's actually quite good.

A quick Google search tells me there's a Aussie(?) version too.

Dammit 2022 takes another one. :( 

Didn't agree with her politics (she supported Trump) or her scientology, but loved her in Cheers, preferred the Rebecca years to the Diane years, and just bought the Look Who's Talking movies earlier this year. Also liked her in Summer School with Mark Harmon in the 80s.

Fuck Cancer. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RPS said:

We just finished episode 4 and holy shit is it great. The moral ambiguity is next level. Similar to last season, midway through there are maximum 2 characters who remain morally okay, but I imagine that will change. 

Who are those two characters?

5 hours ago, Lint said:

Who are those two characters?

Spoiler

Right now Valentina and Harper. Maybe Ethan depending on where things head.

I can see where Valentina is heading, so I think my analysis will seem complex.

Portia and Abi are interesting characters. Abi because of his possessiveness over Portia and her attention and Portia because of her inability to be straightforward with Abi.

Me and the hubby watched Finding Frances, the finale of Nathan for You. Extraordinary television. I have so many thoughts but need time to process them all. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RPS said:
  Hide contents

Right now Valentina and Harper. Maybe Ethan depending on where things head.

I can see where Valentina is heading, so I think my analysis will seem complex.

Once you get caught up, I'd be interested to see where you are on these three, and where you think Valentina is heading.

I"m totally caught up, so click the spoiler at your own expense

Spoiler

We learn Valentina is a pretty deeply closeted lesbian.  Her awkward flirting with Isabella, while kinda cute and adorkable, is also WILDLY inappropriate considering their work relationship.  She also learns Isabella is engaged to Rocco (the guy she always yells at for flirting with Isabella), and does not have a good reaction to it

The White Lotus. For those that have not watched, do so. Fantastic stuff. 

Spoiler

What I thought was fascinating about the show's ending was the ambiguity. No one outlines what the "truth" is. Take Tanya and Portia for example. I believe that it is pretty certain that Jack and the gays were going to murder Tanya and/or Portia. But no one expressly says that. Even after shooting Quentin, she asks if Greg is cheating on her and she does not get an answer. The whole scene can be read as "Tanya killed the men who were going to kill her" or "Tanya accidentally killed 5 gays and herself because she panicked". Even Portia getting dropped off by Jack - he never expressly says that he was going to kill her. It is the implication. 

Even the bizarre relationships of Harper/Ethan and Cameron/Daphne. Did Harper and Cameron have more than a kiss? Did Ethan and Daphne have sex. I believe that the answers are yes, but they are never confirmed. And even the ending and the steps leading up to this are unclear - did Cameron and Daphne do all of this on purpose for some weird kink they have? Are Ethan and Harper truly happy or they simply becoming Cameron and Daphne? Even at dinner when Cameron and Daphne pretend like nothing is wrong, even after Ethan tried to drown him in the water, Ethan and Harper seem to give up and resign themselves to this being their life now. 

Even the girls and the way they treated their respective marks. Did Mia like Valentina or did she solely hook up with her to further her career. Did Lucia have any true feelings for Albie or did she simply use him to make a buck off of him? Does Dominic truly love his wife or does he simply want to have a seemingly perfect life again? Again, I think like everything we can have our opinions on what occurred, but the plot never conclusively or definitively tells you. 

And I think what is even more fascinating is the idea of communication and how it is important that we should say the things we need to say. Ethan and Harper have the most "honest" relationship, but neither can seem to be forthcoming about their sex life and have a real discussion about it. Albie never truly tells Lucia his true intents with Lucia, he seems fine to merely use his father's money to try to win her over. If Portia and Tanya were actually honest with the other with the weird stuff happening around them, Tanya's life very much likely could have been saved. The risk of not being honest with each other can be mild disappointment when the person you hook up with is not a lesbian to losing $50,000 or your life. 

The only people in the story who seem to languish and relish in this are Bert, Cameron and Daphne. Daphne tells Ethan on the beach that their sides of yourself you always keep hidden from those closest to you, that you can never truly know someone. This is likely true, but the way that Cameron and Daphne have chosen to take into action is to simply survive. Present as if you are happy, do what you want so long as you cover your tracks and live your life. That was really what Bert told his son at dinner. That this is what is expected of men. 

• Like 2

This looks fun.  It's got a really interesting gimmick to it too; apparently Netflix will stream the episodes in a random order for each user, besides the finale which will always be shown last.

• Like 1

On 13/12/2022 at 19:36, Frosty the SnowMaxx said:

This looks fun.  It's got a really interesting gimmick to it too; apparently Netflix will stream the episodes in a random order for each user, besides the finale which will always be shown last.

I love a heist, so I'm definitely in, but nothing about that trailer suggested why they would do the random order thing. What's the gimmick? Is it like each episode is the same day, from each characters perspective?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, K said:

I love a heist, so I'm definitely in, but nothing about that trailer suggested why they would do the random order thing. What's the gimmick? Is it like each episode is the same day, from each characters perspective?

Each episode is set at a different time before the heist, they range from 24 years before the heist to 6 months after the heist.  This trailer goes into a bit more detail about it:

• Like 1