General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

7 hours ago, LL! said:

Just wait till you get to his new show The Rehearsal. 

We’ve watched that too - finished episode six last night. Love it. 

It went into really weird Inception territory of layers at one point which was great. 

• Like 1

On 16/08/2022 at 12:00, damhausen said:

Luis Guzmán as Gomez Addams is really going to convince me to watch this whole show isn't it?

Watching Tekken Bloodline, finished episode one. It's not bad, but it is very over dramatic trying to be serious anime. It would be cringier if I wasn't so desperate for actual Tekken story content. Hate that it starts with Tekken 3 too, dunno why so much of the Tekken movie and TV stuff has to deal with that, and specifically Jin, when there's such a rich and interesting universe of characters to use.

5 hours ago, Benji said:

Watching Tekken Bloodline, finished episode one. It's not bad, but it is very over dramatic trying to be serious anime. It would be cringier if I wasn't so desperate for actual Tekken story content. Hate that it starts with Tekken 3 too, dunno why so much of the Tekken movie and TV stuff has to deal with that, and specifically Jin, when there's such a rich and interesting universe of characters to use.

Not Tekken related, but if you're hungry for anime based off fighting games I recommend checking out Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie and Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture.

• Thanks 1

I've found something I hate more than the stupid mini-trailers in front of every trailer these days; a stupid mini-trailer starting off with the sound this one does.

• Like 1

I'm very much on the "wait for reviews" on that. Nothing about it fills me with much confidence and I'm just hopeful I am very very wrong.

Speaking of waiting on. I really want to watch Sandman but have less than zero faith in Netflix not to cancel it before a satisfying conclusion given their history. They have officially become Fox in the 00's to me.

I thought Sandman was a really good contained series whilst having an obvious direction for a second, it's one of the best things they've made in recent years so I'd absolutely watch it regardless.

Have the same complaint about Tekken Bloodline though, I get they're the main characters but I'm bored of all the focus being on the Mishima/Kazama families.

1 hour ago, Benji said:

I'm very much on the "wait for reviews" on that. Nothing about it fills me with much confidence and I'm just hopeful I am very very wrong.

My biggest worry with it is that they seem to really want to make it feel like Peter Jackson's movies, which is all fine and good because the LOTR trilogy remains magnificent, but it feels like a surface level acknowledgement which I hate. Like when someone plays a cover song with zero personality, just playing the same notes the original artist played.

There's also the fear I have that they're digging a bit too deep into LOTR lore and it just won't have as great a narrative flow as one would hope, and to get it into a "TV show" format a lot of unnecessary drama is getting added in.

I will say it mostly looks great which, in a world where an increasing number of shows have had their VFX regress, is more than welcome. And I am the kind of nerd whose experience is aided by that kind of stuff.

My honest prediction is like Wheel of Time (also on Amazon) it'll just be fine. But since it's LOTR fine will just feel extremely disappointing, whereas with Wheel of Time it was just nice to have something adapted for TV.

• Like 1

I've never seen Umbrella Academy so I don't know if this is good, or bad, but the showrunner for that - Steve Blackman (yeah yeah) - is producing and writing the Horizon Zero Dawn series for Netflix.

• Like 1