General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

If anyone here has a PS4 or PS5, today is the last day to claim a free trial for Apple TV+. Not for current subscribers obviously, but if you're like me and have already had a free trial in the past - guess what, that doesn't matter! I had a year free through Apple for buying a new iPhone last year, it ended earlier this year, and I just claimed the trial like 10 minutes ago.

PS5 owners get 6 months, and PS4 owners get 3 months.

• Like 1

Dunno why I waited so long to watch Reservation Dogs but damn that was a good show

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Josh said:

Season 2 is coming up pretty soon!

I saw!  Glad I won't have to wait so long for it

Better Call Saul has been so out-of-this-world good that, during my latest bout with COVID, I couldn't help but start a Breaking Bad re-watch. I never really re-watch TV shows, but have found this fascinating. 

I'm midway through Season 2 and I'm astounded by how differently I see Walt. I think, when watching for the first time, you're always looking for a reason to justify his actions or give him the benefit of the doubt because you'll always hope he can be redeemed. But upon re-watching, it's so clear how awful and dangerous a person he is from the off, it's really good. 

Again, and this is more credit to BCS, I'm finally starting to see them as a part of one big story, instead of two separate entities and it's making me feel stronger about both shows. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I'm midway through Season 2 and I'm astounded by how differently I see Walt. I think, when watching for the first time, you're always looking for a reason to justify his actions or give him the benefit of the doubt because you'll always hope he can be redeemed. But upon re-watching, it's so clear how awful and dangerous a person he is from the off, it's really good.

I didn't watch BB the first time, only streamed it after it was over.

I kept thinking "People think this guy is the hero?  He's a psycho asshole!"

WW is one of those characters you shouldn't idolize, but a lot of people do anyway. See also Tyler Durden, Rorschach, Rick Sanchez, Travis Bickle, Tony Montana, Thanos, Don Draper, Tony Soprano, Jordan Belfort, Ledger's as well as Phoenix's Joker and the like.

Edited by Hellraiser

I'll never forget in Breaking Bad they basically forced this in to the series finale for all the people who still clung to "Walt's the hero"

Spoiler

He's sitting there in Skyler's apartment and says, in a kind of odd line of dialogue, that he didn't do this for his family he did all of this for himself. It felt very forced in and seemed like Vince Gilligan was well aware people took his outward justification he was doing this for his family as truthful.

6 minutes ago, damhausen said:

I'll never forget in Breaking Bad they basically forced this in to the series finale for all the people who still clung to "Walt's the hero"

Hide contents

He's sitting there in Skyler's apartment and says, in a kind of odd line of dialogue, that he didn't do this for his family he did all of this for himself. It felt very forced in and seemed like Vince Gilligan was well aware people took his outward justification he was doing this for his family as truthful.

Spoiler

That didn't feel forced to me me at all. I thought him finally admitting to Skyler (and probably to himself as well) that he is just a selfish prick was one of the strongest moments of that season for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Will happily watch anything David Simon serves up and We Own This City was predictably thought-provoking and engrossing TV. Maybe didn't hit as much as some of my favourites of his, but still glad to have watched. 

Yeah same. I didn't like the acting on it, but the story was engrossing and made me look up more regarding the Gun Trace Task Force afterward. Check out the HBO documentary The Slow Hustle for more on the Sean Suiter "murder". 

• Like 1

Fell out of watching any soap opera a while ago. But will be watching the last few episodes of Neighbours. Even if it wasn't always my cup of tea. It was and has been a forever part of my life in the background always on TV. So I respect the efforts and it will be nostalgic in a way to see the end of it. 

On 28/07/2022 at 21:41, TheGrandAvatar said:

Fell out of watching any soap opera a while ago. But will be watching the last few episodes of Neighbours. Even if it wasn't always my cup of tea. It was and has been a forever part of my life in the background always on TV. So I respect the efforts and it will be nostalgic in a way to see the end of it. 

The last episode was pretty emotional, and it says a lot that they got Guy Pearce to be such a big part of the last couple of shows (his awkward CGI appearances with Jason and Kylie aside).

I think they ticked every box on the way out, like you I haven't watched it for quite some time, but the mainstays helped bridge the gap. I'm sure a lot of the people I didn't recognise were the main cast from the last year and I sort of feel bad that they were pushed aside at the end, but that's kinda how it had to be.

I guess it's not an issue now, but I will never, ever, ever get used to Karl Kennedy being bald.

Also, it's worth noting that Channel 5 going all-out to exploit the last episode of the show for their channel ratings is a bit of a cheek given that they're the ones that caused it to be cancelled.

• Like 1

Yeah, I haven't watched it in about a decade now so it was super nostalgic to see all the old faces, be it in the video messages or them actually being back in person. Presumably they've actually been doing things the last few weeks but it was weird to see a few of them just lingering around in non-speaking roles like Phil, Lucas or Joel.

I was surprised at Guy Pearce as well and did a bit of a double take upon seeing him. This isn't just a quick cameo like some of the other more famous people like Jason Donovan, Kylie or Margot Robbie, it felt like half the episode was dedicated to the whole 'will they, wont they' thing with him and Jane. Funny as well seeing him in the show that was on afterwards about the people who went on to big things afterwards and he looks like 10 years younger out of character.

They've really embraced the whole LGBTQ+ thing in the time that I've been away. Like, it was a big thing in the mid 00's with Sky and that American girl but now they just casually have like 3 different gay couples.

I would echo the weirdness of bald Karl and the cheek of Channel 5 as well. I mean, they really went all out with the prime time slot, the special idents and surrounding programming of the aforementioned look at the actors that went on to Hollywood and music. Plus, granted it might not be them inolved with the creative for that, but even the adverts seemed very focused on the occasion. Literally the first one that came on was a 'Visit Australia' one that featured Neighbours heavily and there was one about the postcode lottery (I think) that had Jason Donovan and 'winning with your neighbours'. That and promos for Home and Away as if to say "Well, if you need a new Aussie soap in your life there's always this...". Clearly we need H&A to buy the assets for Neighbours and do an Invasion angle.