General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

On 18/05/2022 at 19:31, tristy said:

Ozark was fuckin' fantastic, what a great season. I wish it was continuing on, but the story is complete.

But, that finale. Fuck. I hated that. Not because of anything that happened (well, maybe one or two), but because some of it was just infuriating and made no sense.

Hide contents

Wendy gets a quick turnaround redemption for being a selfish, shitty person the last few seasons. Nobody gets punished for anything they've done, except for Ruth, who was only responding in kind. She kills the dude who killed her blood, which is fair. But then his mom kills her for killing her kid? Fuck off. I don't mind Clare cracking under the pressure like that, especially with the added graphic threats, but I mean, goddamnit. The story all along is that people like the Byrds will always get away with it, I get it. But still.

Jonah presumably killing Mel? What? He might have the cookie jar with the ashes inside, but uhhhh... it's not admissible evidence since he broke into their house to get it. Marty & Wendy would know that. Their kids aren't fucking idiots either. And besides that - this also ties into the Wendy thing. Jonah hated her for what she did, and now he's shooting an ex-cop to protect the family? He worked for the competition, he was ready to move to North Carolina... but Wendy had a shitty dad, so it's all good????

Goddamnit.

Spoiler

Ozark started out as a B-level rip off of the whole anti-hero genre and it hit some strong highs that pulled it towards being a much better show for the bulk of its run, but those last few episodes made sure it ended exactly where it started. A poorly written, rushed arc with a badly crafted cynical ending where they kill of a fan favourite in a pretty lame fashion. It’s like they were trying to fail.

• Like 1

My kids watched Bob's Burgers and are obsessed and now we are watching the whole series. My kids get a kick out of the fact there are three kids all same genders as them and how similar they are to the kids. Apparently I'm like Linda. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I've actually been watching a ton of Bob's Burgers lately. It's a comfort show for me, no matter what episode I can throw one on and enjoy it. I'm working through season 10 right now, last one I watched was where the kids write a new school song for Wagstaff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Serpenticloud said:

I've actually been watching a ton of Bob's Burgers lately. It's a comfort show for me, no matter what episode I can throw one on and enjoy it. I'm working through season 10 right now, last one I watched was where the kids write a new school song for Wagstaff.

Me and hubby watched it a couple of years ago but I threw it on for the kids this weekend and loved it. They did not like the Simpsons or Futurama. Only Bob's Burger. 

• Like 1

Bob's Burgers has always been a good watch. Once it found its footing it had some brilliant episodes and I think over the last few seasons it has taken a step back, relying on the tried-and-true dynamics of the show, but it's never pushing envelopes in a weird way. I can sit down, put an ep on, and enjoy it.

• Like 1

Just finished the last two episodes of Shoresy. What a great spinoff from Letterkenny (which has felt kinda ehh the last few seasons), and a surprisingly good story/development from a joke character known for calling people tit fucker. 

• Like 1

On 22/05/2022 at 22:55, K said:

not gonna open your spoiler yet, i'm watching now. i swear if i have to watch Wash die again i'm gonna riot.

Finished. what a weird finale that was 😕

Yeah agreed, too much time as a weird action movie, and just neglected to move half of the plot forward at all. Had a real part one of two feeling to it.

Renewed for season five though, so that’s nice.

2 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Yeah agreed, too much time as a weird action movie, and just neglected to move half of the plot forward at all. Had a real part one of two feeling to it.

Renewed for season five though, so that’s nice.

It was definitely just an assault on precinct 13 pastiche, but it was just utterly devoid of any kind of tension. I was about thirty five minutes in waiting for an escalation or something, and the episode just ended. Very strange. Looking forward to season five though

We Own This City finale

Spoiler

Was dreading the whole time that was Suiter's plan. When he took his partner back to his first post I could feel the dread in my throat and sure enough.

Real good series. Everyone ought to watch it, especially if you liked stuff like The Corner or The Wire. 

Jackass 4.5 was delightful, I think even a little better then Jackass Forever

Started watching The Great North out of curiosity, and it's a pretty cute show. I'm only about 4 episodes in and I assume the show finds it footing later on, but so far I'm enjoying it. Love that Alanis Morrissette voices herself, as the imaginary friend of one of the main characters.

17 hours ago, Serpenticloud said:

Started watching The Great North out of curiosity, and it's a pretty cute show. I'm only about 4 episodes in and I assume the show finds it footing later on, but so far I'm enjoying it. Love that Alanis Morrissette voices herself, as the imaginary friend of one of the main characters.

It definitely finds its' footing. The Great North is a fantastic little show in a similar vein to Bob's Burgers. I don't think I would rate it as highly as Bob's Burgers, but that's more of a testament to the quality of that show than it is a damnation of The Great North.

20 hours ago, Serpenticloud said:

Are we the same person? I just started last night. 

• Like 2

sooo... Peacock is making a Twisted Metal TV show.

Samoa Joe is Sweet Tooth (voiced by... Will Arnett)

Also starring Anthony Mackie ("John Doe"), Thomas Haden Church ("Agent Stone"), Stephanie Beatriz ("Quiet") and Neve Campbell (unspecified role).

• Confused 2

I need some more Sitcoms that are in the kind of 30 Rock/Parks and Rec oeuvre. You know what I mean? Like safe shows that you can have on in the background and just get through? Like maybe you watch them once and they're great and you love them, but in future you can have them on while you're pottering about tidying or doing some paperwork or whatever and it's not a big deal if you miss a joke or two. I don't really know how to explain them but you know what I mean. 30 Rock is my favourite show of all time, so that's not a slight on it. I guess i'm talking about things like

30 Rock
Parks and Rec
The Office
Superstore (Although I can't bring myself to watch the Covid season, it's too soon)
Kimmy Schmidt
Kim's Convenience
Friends (I guess at one point would fit, but growing up it was on every single day so I have no interest in revisiting it)

I recently started Girls5Eva, which will probably fit alongside those at some point.

I genuinely can't get through episode one of Veep, but I know people love it. I swear I've watched that empty party scene about disposable cutlery like ten times and it does nothing for me. Maybe I should force myself.

But not things that are just garbage like Bazinga, or How I Met Your Mother and stuff. They have to actually be good.

• Thanks 1