General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

I'm going to assume you've already done Brooklyn Nine-Nine, It's Always Sunny, Community, The Good Place, and Arrested Development.

Seconding suggestions of Bob's Burgers and New Girl.

Solar Opposites is a good show made by the creator of Ricky and Morty without the awful associated fandom.

I believe you have watched The League but I'll add it to the list just in case.

If you have access to it, Taxi is a great retro show for this (I believe it's on US Hulu) and is probably the most under-appreciated retro half hour sitcom around IMO.

Superstore is my current king of this genre but I'm nearing the end now and that makes me sad.

AP Bio is solid.

If you are willing to give quarter hour animated shows a chance Adventure Zone, Regular Show and Gravity Falls are my suggestions, but I'm aware the kid friendly audience may not be for everyone.

• Like 1

Modern Family would fall into the decent background sitcom as well. Especially as the show went on they just kept rehashing the same jokes, so it doesn't work for anything but background noise.

I will second, third, whatever any rec for New Girl as well. It fits very nearly into that type of sitcom you're looking for.

The League drops off at the end but that's another good option.

And, of course, Solar Opposites.

On 04/06/2022 at 20:57, K said:

I need some more Sitcoms that are in the kind of 30 Rock/Parks and Rec oeuvre. You know what I mean? Like safe shows that you can have on in the background and just get through? Like maybe you watch them once and they're great and you love them, but in future you can have them on while you're pottering about tidying or doing some paperwork or whatever and it's not a big deal if you miss a joke or two. I don't really know how to explain them but you know what I mean. 30 Rock is my favourite show of all time, so that's not a slight on it. I guess i'm talking about things like

30 Rock
Parks and Rec
The Office
Superstore (Although I can't bring myself to watch the Covid season, it's too soon)
Kimmy Schmidt
Kim's Convenience
Friends (I guess at one point would fit, but growing up it was on every single day so I have no interest in revisiting it)

I recently started Girls5Eva, which will probably fit alongside those at some point.

I genuinely can't get through episode one of Veep, but I know people love it. I swear I've watched that empty party scene about disposable cutlery like ten times and it does nothing for me. Maybe I should force myself.

But not things that are just garbage like Bazinga, or How I Met Your Mother and stuff. They have to actually be good.

Schitt's Creek. There are overarching stories but generally each episode stands alone. 

• Like 1

Netflix is dropping trailers aimed directly at me today.  Del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities, 1899, The Midnight Club and Wednesday and The Sandman (coming out August 5th!)

7 hours ago, Maxx said:

The Sandman (coming out August 5th!)

PLEASE for the love of God be good and don't get cancelled early. That's a tall order for a series from Netflix, but yeah.

Anyway:

S2 of Hacks was great. Super funny and emotional at times. And if that's it for the show (I haven't bothered to look if it is) then it's a fitting end in my mind. Not going to complain if there is another season, though. I adore Hannah Einbinder as Ava.

And I finished all three seasons of Hanna and it was... really good. And the final season wrapped things up nicely, I felt like each season was a good progression from the last. But it felt like the conclusion in the series finale came about way too soon, like it could have used a full episode order like the other seasons got. Not quite sure that I like the parental figure switch (trying to be vague because spoilers maybe) but in the end, it worked out. But it did feel really weird at first. I want to watch the movie now, since I just found out that Saoirse Ronan plays Hanna. I know the plot differs quite wildly, but it'll still be a good watch.

I'm trying to force myself to finish S2 of the Flight Attendant, but this storyline is doing nothing for me. And Barry is kind of weak for me this time around, too. Maybe it's because I really want to start Stranger Things over since I don't even remember what season I watched last and it's ending soon, so might as well just restart the whole thing.

On 06/06/2022 at 22:08, tristy said:

S2 of Hacks was great. Super funny and emotional at times. And if that's it for the show (I haven't bothered to look if it is) then it's a fitting end in my mind. Not going to complain if there is another season, though. I adore Hannah Einbinder as Ava.

I just started, on S1E5 and I'm loving the show.  Hannah Einbinder and Jean Smart have great chemistry together

I'm trying to force myself to finish S2 of the Flight Attendant, but this storyline is doing nothing for me.

Yea, the story wasn't great at all, but I loved Annie and Max and I hope that implied spin off happens

Watched Shoresy and loved it.  I was kinda worried about how it'd work out since

1.  You never saw Shoresys face on Letterkenny

2.  A character like that does work better in the short, little featured appearances he tended to get

3.  If, since he's now the main character, he might start to feel a bit like Wayne.

But no, Jared Keeso nailed it, and the supporting cast was great! 

• Like 1

I'm behind everyone else, but

Barry S1 finale

Spoiler

Cracked up at the police chief namedropping Kurosawa and the film Yojimbo, and the gag in the background where news reporters are asking him questions about Kurosawa and his films and how to spell his name, etc. rather than pertinent questions about the case. Hollywood!

One of my favorite parts of this show is the whole idea that these Hollywood people are (unintentionally) training a total psychopath on how to better hide it. Hollywood!

Also, wow, Barry really has ruined a lot of lives in a pretty short season, huh?

5 hours ago, FLiam said:

The S3 finale of Barry last night was fucking fantastic. 

Hopefully the wait for S4 won’t be half as long this time around.

So damn good. I know a lot of people felt like it was a perfect one season show and it was but to see it reach even greater heights in season 3 is so satisfying, especially because Hader's voice as filmmaker comes more and more to the forefront. 

This past month or so of TV will feature very heavily at the top of my 2022 rankings, it's almost insane. 

Geez...watched the first two episodes of The Orville season 3. 

It is a HARD pivot from what the first 2 seasons were.  Its much more sci-fi focused and less comedic then the first 2 seasons.  I really like it.  I hate to say it, but it feels more "Star Trek" then the current Star Trek series do

6 hours ago, Lint said:

Geez...watched the first two episodes of The Orville season 3. 

It is a HARD pivot from what the first 2 seasons were.  Its much more sci-fi focused and less comedic then the first 2 seasons.  I really like it.  I hate to say it, but it feels more "Star Trek" then the current Star Trek series do

Hearing this makes me sad because the comedic elements *made* it feel more like Star Trek to me :(