General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

2022 already starting with a gut punch as Joe Gatto announced that he’s leaving Impractical Jokers.  Cited an amicable split from his wife and wanting to dedicate his time to being the best co-parent he can be.

I can’t really picture the show without any of the four guys, but especially Joe as he seemed like the de-facto leader of them and the glue behind the scenes.  Supposedly the other three will carry on making new episodes but I wouldn’t be surprised if the show doesn’t make it out of the year.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, CM Busch said:

2022 already starting with a gut punch as Joe Gatto announced that he’s leaving Impractical Jokers.  Cited an amicable split from his wife and wanting to dedicate his time to being the best co-parent he can be.

I can’t really picture the show without any of the four guys, but especially Joe as he seemed like the de-facto leader of them and the glue behind the scenes.  Supposedly the other three will carry on making new episodes but I wouldn’t be surprised if the show doesn’t make it out of the year.

I can’t say I’m all that interested in that show without him ☹️

• Sad 1

It was one of those shows I'd heard the name of for years but I'd never actually watched because I don't really watch that much TV with sports and wrestling taking up the majority of my TV time.  But in 2020 when my now-ex and I spent a week together, she put the show on and I found it hilarious.  Then I realized truTV plays it basically all day and it just became the easiest show to just throw on when I don't know what else to watch, it's just mindless fun and an easy laugh.

I would've pegged Joe as the least of the four to leave based on how central he was to the show and yet it sorta makes sense it was him...he's the only one with kids and, up until 2020, was the only one married.  Him being a big family man was always an underlying theme as he's pretty much impossible to embarrass and will say anything the guys tell him, unless it was something that would piss off his wife.  That was his only kryptonite.

I'd guess they'll bring in a rotating guest joker so they can keep doing team-based games and stuff but yeah, not gonna feel like the same show.

Cobra Kai is probably my favourite show at the moment by a decent margin. I can't say I've disliked any of it, and they do a fantastic job of balancing every character being both likeable and an asshole without ever feeling like the "bad guy". A very human show under a veneer of 80s goofy charm. Four seasons deep and it's yet to show signs of slowing down in quality.

• Like 2

It really is a great example of how you do nostalgia right.  Though my biggest criticism of the show still stands.  It really could be titled "They Should've Talked It Out" because 99% of the conflicts on the show could've been solved if people just sat down and talked 

Yea it does a great job of giving fans what they want, while also being unpredictable enough to keep things fresh and leave you wanting more. It adds a lot of depth to its existing characters while finding ways to introduce new characters or bring back characters that make sense in the story. The only (minor) problem is that it's getting so many characters involved now, that sometimes a few of them get sidelined for a few episodes, but they still manage to pay it off in the end for the most part. Its very binge-worthy, I've never been able to just watch one episode at a time, and its got great replay value too, its something I can watch over and over again and not get bored with. 

Titans deserves more love than it gets. Really well built show that uses its source material very well without ever not making it its own thing. Major season 3 spoiler..

Spoiler

Hawk's death :( I know he could come back, but I hope he doesn't, cause that was probably one of the best non-sacrifice deaths ever, and it gives Dawn/Dove a LOT of motivation and development.

3 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I've watched the first three episodes of Succession. It seems interesting, but almost none of the characters seem the slightest bit likeable.

Welcome to Succession.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I've watched the first three episodes of Succession. It seems interesting, but almost none of the characters seem the slightest bit likeable.

I'm very behind on Succession because of this. I used to eat up shows like this (hello, Mad Men). But I can only take so much "I hope nothing good happens to any of you" prestige drama TV. At least a show like Better Call Saul has someone I really, really want to root for and watching them constantly undermine themselves is gripping. Succession seemed to just have people I wanted the worst for.

I'll get to the latest season eventually.

• Like 1

For any Toast of London fans, Toast of Tinseltown has landed on iPlayer (from little advertising as far as I can tell) and it's mostly fantastic. I think it's my favourite Matt Berry thing - I'd defo recommend both series to people who only know him recently from What We Do In The Shadows.