General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

Righteous Gemstones S1E07:

Spoiler

DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN GIDEON, I did not think he had that in him to beat the shit out of Scotty like that.

Soon I'll be on season 2! And caught up with everyone else! 
EDIT: hooooooly shirt, that whole episode.

14 hours ago, punky said:

Season 3 of After Life was decent, it wrapped up the series at least. I missed seeing a couple of characters from the previous two seasons though. 

Roisin Conaty felt a big gap, especially when she was still referenced most episodes. I enjoyed it though, such a strange show and occasionally a bit heavy handed on the serious bits, but it somehow works.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2022 at 10:54, RPS said:

We have two episodes to go. This is RPS the tv show. I could see how people would not love or be uncomfortable with the show. 

It is a very challenging show and very reflective of the world we live in. There is no real anatogonist or protagonist. Argument to argument, plot to plot, episode to episode our views of these characters changes. The closest we get from deviating from this is Rachel and Shane, the newly weds, where it is clear that he is overwhelming more of an asshole than she is. 

It's great. It would be high up on my year end list if I had watched it before Gogo started counting. 

What a great show. 

Spoiler

It was such an amazing critique of hierarchy, wealth and privilege. All of these rich assholes come to this resort, use everything (and everyone) and leave. Nothing was a shock - I knew Rachel would not leave Shane over a fear of mediocrity. I knew Tanya would disappoint Belinda. It was clear that  Paula was content to exploit Kai to get revenge on the Mossbachers for their privilege.

notthing was a shock throughout the show, but it was so well acted and layered it was great.

On 19/01/2022 at 10:54, RPS said:

We have two episodes to go. This is RPS the tv show. I could see how people would not love or be uncomfortable with the show. 

It is a very challenging show and very reflective of the world we live in. There is no real anatogonist or protagonist. Argument to argument, plot to plot, episode to episode our views of these characters changes. The closest we get from deviating from this is Rachel and Shane, the newly weds, where it is clear that he is overwhelming more of an asshole than she is. 

It's great. It would be high up on my year end list if I had watched it before Gogo started counting. 

Re: Shane and Rachel

Spoiler

What I find fascinating about Shane is that he’s never in the wrong about anything. He didn’t get the right room, he wasn’t told the boat ride was a funeral and he never pretended to be something he’s not to marry Rachel. But he’s such an insufferable asshole about everything and that reminds me of so many black and white people that I know that I was transfixed by this show.

Needless to say I’m very excited for season two.

15 hours ago, Moses Julep said:

Re: Shane and Rachel

Hide contents

What I find fascinating about Shane is that he’s never in the wrong about anything. He didn’t get the right room, he wasn’t told the boat ride was a funeral and he never pretended to be something he’s not to marry Rachel. But he’s such an insufferable asshole about everything and that reminds me of so many black and white people that I know that I was transfixed by this show.

Needless to say I’m very excited for season two.

Spoiler

I think this show may hit extra hard for me because I saw so many people I know in the show. Myself included. 

You hit the nail on the head with Shane. What is so interesting is that Armond starts off fine - it's an honest mistake. But it is only when Shane - who is in the right - continued to escalate and press that Armand goes off the rails. Sure Shane is correct, but Rachel is also correct - who cares what room you have in paradise? Shane weaponizes his moral correctness to harm others. Sure, he is right vis a vis Rachel and Armond, but who cares? They hurt and his reaction is not compassion or empathy, but to insist on the status quo.

I also found Nicole so transfixing. She projects all of fears and insecurity about privilege and how Quinn is feeling as a white cis man but Quinn is completely disinterested in the topic. What you start to believe is that Nicole herself is not concerned about Quinn but probably herself and her own privilege being dismantled. Her entire existence is to maintain her status, wealth and privilege. 

This show was A+. Best show of last year.

https://www.gq.com/story/keefe-righteous-gemstones

(Some slight season 2 spoilers if anybody isn't caught up, btw.)

But yeah, I totally agree with this. Keefe is low-key one of my favorite characters in the show. "A baby in the body of a man for the first time" is a great way to describe him imo. 

Me and the better half watched Hacks. It is fine. I'll probably finish up the first season but I don't know if it wants to be prestige comedy or turn your brain off comedy... 

8 hours ago, RPS said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I highly recommend another show from the creator called Enlightened. It is very similar and Laura Dern is amazing in it.

The show is called Our Flag Means Death and it’s coming to HBO Max in March. It’s created and showrun by David Jenkins, but Waititi is on board as an executive producer as well as the director of the pilot. It stars Rhys Darby (Flight of the Conchords, Jumanji) as Stede Bonnet, “a pampered aristocrat who abandoned his life of privilege to become a pirate.”

Well I have a feeling something is going to be on my top 15 of 2022 list next year

• Like 3

I'm not going anywhere near the thread until I'm done with the show, but I just want to say that Game of Thrones is awesome. I'm on S7E2. Is this where it supposedly goes off the rails, or is that S8? Because I've loved mostly everything so far. Peter Dinklage, and especially Lena Headey, are just amazing in this - holy shit.

EDIT: S7E7 - ah, yep, there it is. The train is about to go off the rails.

Edited by tristy

1 hour ago, K said:

i feel like i've been watching castle non-stop for weeks and i'm still just on season 4. there are SO MANY episodes

1 hour ago, K said:

I feel like at this point the writers are just coming up with a single scene that would look cool, and then writing the episode around that. "What if Castle was dressed as Elvis?" 

Sadly, the show starts going downhill sometime in season 6. And I kind of wish they hadn't done a season 8.

22 hours ago, tristy said:

I'm not going anywhere near the thread until I'm done with the show, but I just want to say that Game of Thrones is awesome. I'm on S7E2. Is this where it supposedly goes off the rails, or is that S8? Because I've loved mostly everything so far. Peter Dinklage, and especially Lena Headey, are just amazing in this - holy shit.

EDIT: S7E7 - ah, yep, there it is. The train is about to go off the rails.

The last season. It was basically a whole different show not akin to the other seasons. 

Elsewhere, I finally started watching Deadwood. Five episodes in so far and it’s fantastic.

15 hours ago, million$$man said:

Just noticed that Paramount Plus added more seasons of Survivor AU, as well as seasons of Survivor NZ, and Survivor South Africa. 

I'll be watching the new Australian Survivor season. We can jump start the old Survivor thread if you want million.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FLiam said:

The last season. It was basically a whole different show not akin to the other seasons. 

I didn't mind the first half of the last season (The Long Night was a great episode, I thought) but oh boy, those last few episodes were... yeah, not the same show as the previous seasons. It all went downhill during the S7 finale, and just went further and further down. Characters killed under different circumstances then anyone would have wanted or expected, and story wrap-ups for others that were just baffling.

I think my favorite episode might be the S6 finale, or the Long Night from S8. I don't feel like I wasted my time really, but I can see why people were fuming when this season aired. All those years and time spent following the series, only for it to end like this. Very disappointing.

That said, I'm interested in the House of the Dragon prequel. Probably won't follow it week to week, but I'll binge it once a season is over for sure.

• Like 3

Oh yeah, that was a good one too! But I actually struggle to remember any standout episodes beyond the two I mentioned, and I guess that one. The Winds of Winter was just holy fuck moment after holy fuck moment.

While I'm interested in the House of the Dragon prequel, I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish we were getting an "Arya Stark explores what's west of Westeros" series instead. Arya was just a fucking badass in this show, I loved her. Easily the best Stark child, hands down.

• Like 2