General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

Started watching Deadwood and whilst I’m really enjoying it so far, the main guy that plays Seth Bullock really bothers me. I don’t think he’s that good of an actor. In his scenes you can really see him acting, if that makes any sort of sense. Plus he walks with his arms really straight by his side and really upright - makes him look really geeky despite his character not being geeky. 

I dunno, I just don’t feel he was casted well. Ian McShane however - is brilliant. It was also quite a thing seeing Nick Offerman’s full naked body. 

Almost caught up on the Righteous Gemstones. Just finished episode 4. Woah. I really like how this show can go from some of the dumbest, goofiest gags and some great physical humor to just being... kind of brutal. 

Spoiler

Did nooot think Eli would snap Kelvin's thumbs like that, but once Kelvin taunted him I was like ah, fuck, nope, he's definitely going to now. Kind of a brutal moment in an otherwise kinda-goofy kinda-serious fight. 

On 31/01/2022 at 16:14, Colly said:

I've got a 3 month Apple TV+ subscription which I've never had before, any recommendations? Other than Fraggle Rock which I'm obviously going to watch.

Besides what's been recommended already, the series Truth Be Told and the Tom Hanks movie Greyhound. Avoid Finch, though. Its too talky and mostly boring. 

We're holding off on The After Party until its finished, so we can binge it.

We had a brief delay because my hubby was working nights.  

Enlightened up to episode 4 (this show is amazing by the way)

Spoiler

This show has made me question existence and the culture of work. But it also puts little savers out there. Yes, the culture of work and productivity is brutal, suffocating and inescapable. But you can have moments where you can have joy. The moment where Amy takes Tyler out for lunch hit the feels. 

On 01/02/2022 at 23:23, The Redeemer CLDY said:

Almost caught up on the Righteous Gemstones. Just finished episode 4. Woah. I really like how this show can go from some of the dumbest, goofiest gags and some great physical humor to just being... kind of brutal. 

Hide contents

Did nooot think Eli would snap Kelvin's thumbs like that, but once Kelvin taunted him I was like ah, fuck, nope, he's definitely going to now. Kind of a brutal moment in an otherwise kinda-goofy kinda-serious fight. 

Episode 5, Interlude II

Spoiler

So... it wasn't Eli who killed Glendon, like I was assuming, but his father with Alzheimer's. Was Eli's dad lucid at the time? It certainly seems like he was. I know he was later on for a bit during his bedside chat with Eli, right?

Love the touch of Glendon being buried beneath the Exodus rollercoaster in their abandoned theme park. Explains why Eli had been riding it so much, by himself, while Glendon Junior was in town.

There was so much intriguing shit going on in this episode that until I watched the preview for next week I had totally forgotten about Amber, Jesse, and Eli's Gemstones party bus getting shot up by masked gunmen.

2 hours ago, Monkey D. Lars said:

Finally started with Scrubs. Soooo much fun!

I'm intrigued how you find it in a modern age. I love the show, I rewatched it more than almost any other show. I then stopped for years and rewatched recently, and I loved it, but there's some bits that really haven't aged well (as should be expected after two decades).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Subject Delta said:

I'm intrigued how you find it in a modern age. I love the show, I rewatched it more than almost any other show. I then stopped for years and rewatched recently, and I loved it, but there's some bits that really haven't aged well (as should be expected after two decades).

I watched it two years ago. It’s still a fantastic show but the plethora of  “Haha you are gay!” jokes have aged horribly and are incredibly cringe.

• Thanks 1

Jackass Forever in the afternoon, then Murderville at night.  Great day for laughing

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Subject Delta said:

They'll probably say that about shows made today in about 20 years. 

4 hours ago, Lint said:

Jackass Forever in the afternoon, then Murderville at night.  Great day for laughing

Can't wait for Jackass Forever!

20 minutes ago, Monkey D. Lars said:

They'll probably say that about shows made today in about 20 years.

That's my point, I'm interested in seeing how people feel like society has changed in time. So like Turk and JDs relationship was probably the first true "bromance" I'd ever seen on TV to such a big degree. Now some of the reactions are seen as homophobic (and quite rightly), but for its day it was pretty groundbreaking. It's interesting to me to see how things that helped break the mould for acceptance can evolve into being seen as problematic. Society changes, and it's fascinating to see how that affects our view of material for better or worse.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Subject Delta said:

That's my point, I'm interested in seeing how people feel like society has changed in time. So like Turk and JDs relationship was probably the first true "bromance" I'd ever seen on TV to such a big degree. Now some of the reactions are seen as homophobic (and quite rightly), but for its day it was pretty groundbreaking. It's interesting to me to see how things that helped break the mould for acceptance can evolve into being seen as problematic. Society changes, and it's fascinating to see how that affects our view of material for better or worse.

Don't know if you've seen it, the second episode of Cheers deals with the being gay topic in the 80's. I enjoy seeing how they did it back then. And like with Married with Children I'm at season 7 now and I laugh along, not as much as with my favorite sitcoms (my type is the Office, Parks and Rec and It's Always Sunny as my go to ones). Still seeing old sitcoms is a gem.

And yes I love their bromance! and I get what you mean. I'll let you know when I come by stuff that strike me as very 2000'sish. But I do have to say, I'm very easy about that stuff. I'm happy that people are trying to change for the better about stuff like this. I'm all the way for those things. But I still enjoy things from the past. I can still laugh at some of the jokes even though I know it isn't right. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person.

• Like 2

Holy fucking shit the end of the new Righteous Gemstones episode.

Spoiler

I think the preview for next week might kinda give away that Eli didn't die from that drive-by by the Cycle Ninjas (Amber talks about a hashtag called "GemsHome", which leads me to believe he'll be hospitalized and then sent home for recovery). I could be totally wrong though.

Still, holy shit, did not see that coming. 

So... who are the Cycle Ninjas? Because it doesn't seem to fit Glendon Junior's M.O., way too flashy. Seems almost like they could be stuntpeople? Friends of Scotty's out for revenge for Scotty's murder?

Also, there's only 3 episodes left and we still have to wrap-up what happened to that journalist who was found dead, Thaniel Block (a crime Jason Schwartzmann barely got used before his face got melted half off). Also, who the fuck were the dead people (person?) in the tree? 

Actually, now that the I think about it, there's one family of flashy megapastors who might have reason to try and kill Eli.