General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

7 hours ago, tristy said:

It's basically HBO trying to do a mature CW teen drama. I like it, but it's not for everyone. It's worth trying to get into, though.

That said, the Season 2 finale was very disappointing. You wanted closure or more insight into these stories you've been following the entire season, and then you end up with a bunch of stuff that's pushed to being resolved/expanded on in the next season but, hey, don't worry, here is a 10 minute scene with a side character nobody liked where he sings a song to Rue. I'm convinced his record label got involved and paid HBO/the director to include that.

I thought the whole second season was mostly disappointing, and towards the end, outright bad. It seemed to take very little interest in its characters or their arcs and traded it in for moments that could go viral. The play was insane and fun, but it all felt so pointless. Jules was basically sidelined for the whole second half of the series. The Christmas specials were extraordinary TV and gave me real optimism going into this. 

I genuinely think my favourite part of the whole show was Nate's dads flashback scene. 

Edited by Jimmy

The fact nobody in here has mentioned Guardians of Justice despite it featuring DDP and John Hennigan, being the bastard love child of 80s action flicks, b-movies, a loving homage to video games, superheroes, cartoons and just generally being one of the more insanely wonderful cult things I've seen recently makes me sad. I hope it gets a second season, but the lack of hype before it and lack of chatter after it makes me assume it's going into the waste bin like Blood Drive of "shows that are absolutely up my street and nobody else's" :(

11 hours ago, Cymbols said:

They couldn’t find another TV channel to cover the costs of Neighbours after Channel 5 pulled out, so we’re at the end of the line come summer 💔

How much is it? Can we have a whip round

On 02/03/2022 at 00:38, Your Mom said:

I don't understand the appeal of Euphoria. I admit I haven't tried to watch it but it just sounds like a bunch of teenagers fucking and doing drugs. Is there some kind of good story there?

It's one of the best depictions of addiction currently on tv. Not just how addiction affects an individual but how it affects everyone in their orbit. Season 2 was a bit of a mess in regards to the writing of everything else, but this story was still really well told. 

Season 1 and one of the Christmas specials also has really great trans representation though they totally fail to do anything with Jules in Season 2. 

Watched the first three episodes of Our Flag Means Death and its...meh?  There are some funny parts so far its just ok

On 04/03/2022 at 08:26, K said:

How much is it? Can we have a whip round

Only if I can finally fulfil my dream of Harold winning the World Tuba Championships whilst he had amnesia, but he had double amnesia and now doesn't remember that, and has to win a tuba competition in order to save the street but also has amnesia on how to play the tuba.

• Like 1

The documentary on Kanye that's on Netflix, jeen-yuhs, is pretty incredible. All told it's basically an almost 4(ish) hour documentary that chronicles Ye's early struggles trying to become more than just a producer, and shows exactly what fame can do to a person - especially if that's what the person in question wants the most. Donda dying (Ye's mom) is kind of his breaking point, clearly, and he suffers in silence for years pretty much, getting more erratic and out of control. There's a point in the third part where Ye is meeting with some real estate developers in the Dominican Republic about building a church for his Sunday Service choir, and Ye goes off on some scattered rant, talking about how he's Deadpool and the media is trying to kill him. It's... really sad, and rightfully so, Coodie (the director) feels uncomfortable recording this because it's becoming apparent that he's in a manic episode - and when Ye gets back to the US after that DR meeting/recording session, he does the political rally where he's wearing a bulletproof vest and breaks down crying talking about abortion.

The first two parts are the most interesting, since Coodie is around. It's basically Ye's beginnings, and then the recording and release of College Dropout. It's fascinating to watch people like Dame Dash not take him seriously as a rapper, while people like Pharrell, Ludacris and Scarface are giving him the co-sign. Third part isn't nearly as good, but it's also super uncomfortable to watch since it's about the years where Kanye was mega famous, and then going down a spiral after Donda dies - and Coodie isn't there to document a lot of seminal moments, both because Ye is a megastar, and Coodie has his own life to live and decided to move on after he was left behind around 2005.

Murderville episode 6

Spoiler

"ARREST THEM ALL!"
"I'M ALREADY IN PRISON!"
"THEN YOU'RE GOING TO A BIGGER ONE!"
"Oh! That'll work."
"Then you're going to a smaller one!"

Started watching Person of Interest on HBO Max.

I watched it when it was originally on, but for reasons I can't remember, I stopped at some point.

It still holds up. Once you start to get past the "number of the week" format and into the surveillance state story arc, it becomes so great

On 04/03/2022 at 11:51, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

It's one of the best depictions of addiction currently on tv. Not just how addiction affects an individual but how it affects everyone in their orbit. Season 2 was a bit of a mess in regards to the writing of everything else, but this story was still really well told. 

Season 1 and one of the Christmas specials also has really great trans representation though they totally fail to do anything with Jules in Season 2. 

Didn't see this post originally. That actually sounds like it might be pretty great TV. A little too close to home though to be honest. I generally stick to escapism for the most part lately

• Like 1

On 19/03/2022 at 22:06, Cornelius Weinerbottom said:

omg Wyoming has a song called New Boot Goofin'

full&d=1616388154