General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

5 hours ago, Subject Delta said:

I agree with this, but I also find it really weird that these services want long term subs but offer no long term sub options. Give people 1 year of Netflix for £99 whilst the monthly rate stays £10.99, and you've got people in for the year.

When I signed up for Disney+ they were doing a thing where it was either $8/month, or sign up for 3 years in advance and it worked out to be $5/month.

Think HBOMax did the same thing.  

• Like 1

My mom has some Disney+ deal as well, she gets ESPN+, Disney+ and I think Hulu? For a combined price that knocked the monthly cost down a few bucks. 

Started that anime Roman baths series on Netflix last night - Thermae Romae Novae. Was very underwhelmed until the swerve in episode 1 which was very good (I knew nothing about the comic or story until now). I also loved how the last five minutes was the writer travelling around Japanese onsen which was interesting. I hope that continues at the end of every episode - it reminded me of Mysterious Cities of Gold where at the end of some episodes there would be some narrated documentary footage of the Incas and Aztecs.

On 28/03/2022 at 12:51, VerBlue Christmas said:

Finished the Last Kingdom last night. I love that show, and I'm sad we're at the end but I guess a movie for Netflix will be out by the years end/early next year.

We finished it last night. The finale was really, really good. Top TV series and would recommend it to anyone. 

I watched Hellbound, a supernatural drama on Netflix, by the director of Train To Busan and starring Yoo Ah-In of Burning fame. I'm still toying with it what I thought of it all, but found it quite thought-provoking. Again, it's not perfect, but glad to see Korean TV getting more of a push over here. Would be really interested to hear anyone else's take if they've seen it, it's definitely heavy and challenging. 

On 29/03/2022 at 00:51, VerBlue Christmas said:

Finished the Last Kingdom last night. I love that show, and I'm sad we're at the end but I guess a movie for Netflix will be out by the years end/early next year.

I absolutely love this show, I feel a little sad that it's ending so I've only watched the first two shows. What a brilliant show with such brilliant, captivating characters. Hope it ends on a high note, unlike Game of Thrones. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Benjamin said:

I absolutely love this show, I feel a little sad that it's ending so I've only watched the first two shows. What a brilliant show with such brilliant, captivating characters. Hope it ends on a high note, unlike Game of Thrones. 

Yea, it might be my favorite ever. I love the acting, they do a nice job of getting you emotionally invested in the characters. 

I really loved the actor that played Alfred. I thought he was just brilliant. For some reason I love the "swords of England have come to fight with us. The swords of Wessex....etc"

8 hours ago, VerBlue Christmas said:

Yea, it might be my favorite ever. I love the acting, they do a nice job of getting you emotionally invested in the characters. 

I really loved the actor that played Alfred. I thought he was just brilliant. For some reason I love the "swords of England have come to fight with us. The swords of Wessex....etc"

The Alfred seasons were definitely my favourite as it was so interesting to see the dynamic between him and Uthred. Their love and hate for each other and the on-screen chemistry was really great to watch. 

• Like 1

I don't know what's the right thread for this.

We just started watching GLOW.

I'm sure this has been discussed previously in these boards but don't want to risk spoilers. We've only watched a couple episodes. Is it worth it? Is it really bad? Any controversies? Really bad takes on anything? Just to know if we should keep going as we usually only watch one show at a time.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed it, only real issue is it got cancelled during the pandemic. I can't remember it having a major unresolved cliffhanger (or at least not one that haunts me...) so enjoy the ride. 

• Like 1

The first season of GLOW is fantastic, the second season is still really good, I wasn't so into the third and so I started doing the Netflix thing of taking too long to keep moving through it and then it got cancelled and I never finished it. It deserved better than that, especially because they were basically at the start of filming the fourth when Netflix cancelled it.

• Like 1

Finally got around to starting Snowfall, which I remember being pretty interested in when it was first started but never actually ended up tracking down and watching for whatever reason.  I've heard the first season is a little iffy but it becomes really good in seasons 2 and 3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

The first season of GLOW is fantastic, the second season is still really good, I wasn't so into the third and so I started doing the Netflix thing of taking too long to keep moving through it and then it got cancelled and I never finished it. It deserved better than that, especially because they were basically at the start of filming the fourth when Netflix cancelled it.

Ah yeah this was my exact trajectory with the show.

I've gone back thinking about it recently and feel like it'd have been much better treated as a set 18 episode series or something. Once they had to really move into all the side relationships and development of the side characters is when I started to drift out of it. Lots of TV shows fall victim to that when their cast is big.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

I would like season 2 of Our Flag Means Death now please.

This show is a good example of the benefits of binge-watching for me.

We started watching it through CraveTV, but somewhere along the way, something else got released and I completely forgot about it. Watched two more episodes last night when we remembered about the show.

Things that drop on a schedule quite often end up getting forgotten about in my house. I can't keep up on what shows are on what day when I have no idea what day it even is.

Anyways... first couple of episodes had me wondering if it would be able to hook me. I believe we finished episode 6 last night, and I'm so excited to keep going now.

Turns out an easy way around my disinterest in time travel narratives is "what if Nadia Vulvokov is the time traveler and she has no control over any of it?"

• Like 4