General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

eh, to me the rhode island one was real boring and generic, but i'm also not surprised it went through.

i tried to listen to them all; only new boots goofin has made me wanna go back for a second listen.

Edited by LittleDaniel

It feels like some bullshit that Connecticut gets Michael Bolton to rep them.

Iowa should have countered with Slipknot.

• Like 1

I thought Ryan Charles was good. Just didn't like the song.

Too bad we're getting Macy Gray, and not Mushroomhead, for Ohio......

There's a list on Wikipedia of which artists are doing which state, and they did show some others in previews. Sadly, no Flo Rida for Florida, but jewel is representing Alaska, and Sysqo (yes, the Thong Song) is representing Maryland. The Crystal Method (Trip Like I Do is still a classic) is repping Nevada. Allen Stone is performing for Washington. That gets a big thumbs up from me.

New Hampshire should be....interesting. The performer is a Christian EDM artist. Tennessee is going to be Tyler Braden. Sadly, I'm not too familiar with his work.

Not sure if we have a separate Apple TV+ thread but has anyone watched Suspicion and Severance? I watched Suspicion 'coz Simmons (from Agents of SHIELD) was in it; had me hooked but didn't stick the landing, IMO. Meanwhile I'm a couple of episodes into Severance and the premise is super bleak but I can't look away.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Anybody watch Our Flag Means Death. What a beautiful little unexpected story. 

3 hours ago, Josh said:

We just watched the first episode last night and I already agree.

See, first 3 episodes, I didn't like, and was getting ready to drop it

But then I hit the episode with Will Arnett and changed my mind.  Great episode

It's not a perfect show. Full season spoilers

Spoiler

They definitely give more love to Stede and Blackbeard than anybody else. Jim in particular will have a really great episode and then they'll just be gone the next. But overall, I was not expecting this to be a trans/queer show.

Did anyone watch Shrill?

I do not like this show and I keep watching because of my partner and he is enjoying.

I think the first issue is the tone. I do not really know if they have a clear understanding of what they are going for. Is it grounded in realism? Is it a sketch comedy show? What type of humor are we going for? It has this really bizarre problem with the structure of it. For example, the workplace scenes feel like one exaggerated character away from an SNL sketch. But her love life feel it is supposed to be akin to a show like Girls. There is a whole scene involving a pool party that feels at times like a fantasy scene. All of the scenes with her parents feel like they are completely out of place with everything that is occurring. 

I think that would be fine, if the characters were stronger. But everyone is operating on a surface level. Annie's love interest in season 1 is completely unbelievable to me. I'll post this in spoilers in case anyone wants to watch this show:

Spoiler

It appears to be romanticising someone who is completely inept. The love interest, Ryan, is terrible. He doesn't want to date her and it is hinted it is because of her weight. She invites him to an important event; he ditches to attend his own party where he is with his other fuck buddy. She has a one night stand with an incredibly hot man who is from abroad. She tells Ryan and he gets upset.... DESPITE THE FACT THAT HE WAS HAVING SEX WITH SOMEONE ELSE THE EPSIDOE BEFORE! Her dog eats shrooms and she has no one to turn to except... Ryan! Who decides to consume shrooms to be one with the dog. So he doesn't want to be seen with her, he ditches her work event, he has sex with some other girl at the same time, gets mad, does shrooms when he should be watching the dog and the episode ends with them humping on her couch. Oh, but it is her living room and she has a roommate. 

The whiplash I feel about this show is very severe. 

Anyways. I would not recommend Shrill. 

I would recommend Somebody Somewhere. It is about a woman who comes back to her small town after not really accomplishing much to take care of her ailing sister and the grief she is feeling in this small town after her sisters death. Really great stuff. We breezed through 7 episodes. It ends unresolved, so don't watch if you hate that. 

1 hour ago, Serpenticloud said:

Season 2 of Only Murders In The Building starts in June. 

That seems like a quick turn around. 

But I guess since Hulu does the weekly release thing, it means they can release episodes while others are still being finished.

Can I say I've completely come around on the whole "one day binge vs weekly release" models?  Used to love bingeing a show in one day, but as Amazon, HBO Max, Hulu, Disney+ have gone to the weekly schedule, I find myself remembering more of the shows.

Meanwhile, I remember fuck all of Stranger Things

Human Resources was a nice little extension of the Big Mouth universe. If you're a fan of the original show, HR is a major hit. If you don't care about Big Mouth, you can go ahead and skip out.

It was cool to see more of the monsters and their world, and we got some real good laughs out of it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lint said:

That seems like a quick turn around. 

But I guess since Hulu does the weekly release thing, it means they can release episodes while others are still being finished.

Can I say I've completely come around on the whole "one day binge vs weekly release" models?  Used to love bingeing a show in one day, but as Amazon, HBO Max, Hulu, Disney+ have gone to the weekly schedule, I find myself remembering more of the shows.

Meanwhile, I remember fuck all of Stranger Things

This comes up a ton but overall you'll be more likely to remember something if you watch it over weeks/months. However you may forget some details in between each week. I've seen some evidence pointing in this direction.

A big argument against the binge model now is it's bad for business, since people can sign up for one month (or a 7 day free trial), and then cancel after watching the entire season in one weekend. I suppose that is driving more and more weekly release schedules than anything else. But my point above still stands regarding which is a better method for consumption in terms of retaining the media you've watched.

17 hours ago, damhausen said:

A big argument against the binge model now is it's bad for business, since people can sign up for one month (or a 7 day free trial), and then cancel after watching the entire season in one weekend.

I agree with this, but I also find it really weird that these services want long term subs but offer no long term sub options. Give people 1 year of Netflix for £99 whilst the monthly rate stays £10.99, and you've got people in for the year.

That or be less stupid with releases. Netflix has been on a mostly lacking run for me for ages, but then May and June has about 6 shows coming/back that I want to watch.

• Like 1