General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

8 hours ago, Maxx said:

The Fallout TV show that Amazon is doing has cast Walton Goggins as a ghoul

Welp I'm sold

Watched the first episode of Euphoria and just couldn't get into it.  I dunno, maybe I just don't relate to it

Righteous Gemstones Season 2 Episode 8

Spoiler

Was not expecting Harmon to be played by Macaulay Culkin. Also wasn't expecting that credits song either. 

Predictably, the motorcycle ninjas aren't in Junior's employ. I'm kind of doubting them being hired by the Lissons as well, maybe they're a totally different group who had something to do with the journalist that was killed at the beginning of the season? It looks like there's way more motorcycle ninjas, and they have enough firepower to blow a hole in a jail wall and break the others out.

Also, in the preview for the season finale:

Spoiler

Gideon being arrested for something, potentially? :o

42 minutes ago, K said:

it can't possibly be better than the UK version can it?

1 hour ago, Josh said:

If you’ve not seen the UK version, get on that. It’s on HBOMax.

We did just fine with The Office, thank you very much!

Spoiler

We will check it out!

If you haven’t got on it yet, watch Severance on Apple TV+. Adam Scott starring in a dark thriller with dry comic touches, about people who undergo a procedure to separate their work life and home life. The work version has no knowledge of what the home version is doing and vice-versa. Some slightly futuristic Orwellian corporate shit. Really, really good TV.

• Like 3

Righteous Gemstones S2 Finale spoiler

Spoiler

Hi. Hello. Would you please all come with me? I just killed someone

The way McBride delivered that line just killed me

• Like 1

Recently grabbed a NOW TV sub to catch a few shows. Enjoyed the Dexter season - wasn't as good as the hieghts of the show, but it was definitely better than the last few seasons of its original run. 

Also just watched Mare of Easttown. Thought that was excellent, particularly Kate Winslet. 

Not sure what I'll go for next - maybe Succession? 

19 hours ago, Lint said:

Righteous Gemstones S2 Finale spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

The way McBride delivered that line just killed me

I love how

Spoiler

Lyle was in the pantry the whole time watching when the Gemstones went to meet Thaniel Block. Also, holy shit, is Lyle way more coldblooded than I gave him credit for - "you think the Gemstones saw you two?"

then he just lights his own church members on fire to cover his ass. 

I love the parallels between Lyle and Jesse as well; Jesse may have a totally fucked moral compass, but he at least has one, whereas I think Lyle is meant to be "Jesse if he was as ruthless and pragmatic as he tries to be".

I kind of hope that maybe with Lyle and Lindy out of the way (booo, but I get it), we might see more Roddy (EDIT: Buddy?). I doubt it - it seems like a fairly self-contained story - but it would be interesting if he popped back up at some point in the future. 

I hope Eric Roberts shows up in future seasons as well, let's go back to Memphis a couple more times. I'm down. Great choice of song during that last bit as well, using "Some Broken Hearts Will Never Mend".

Also, damn, Eli - making good on what he said to Junior last week:

"I've got the devil inside me too."

--------------------------

Whole bunch of super great lines in this episode as well :

"Can I walk a few feet behind you? At a distance?"
"No!"

"Lyle? Did... did I kill you?"

"Hi, hello, would you all please come with me. I just killed someone."

"Daddy, it was the Lissons! They were the bad guys the whole time!!"
"I was comin' over here to tell you that."

"Chad, I am so sorry. You do provide, for me and the girls."
"I do? and I got a big pecker? Bigger than Waylon's?"
".... you provide for the girls."

Was that actually McBride, Patterson & DeVine singing at the end as well? Or lipsynching? 

Moving the needle from "terrible idea" to "somewhat creatively inadvisable idea," then. Good for DiMaggio if he's getting paid what he wants, and hopefully his stuff about how everyone should be getting paid more was legit and there's raises around the board.

• Like 2

On 20/02/2022 at 00:42, Lint said:

Watched the first episode of Euphoria and just couldn't get into it.  I dunno, maybe I just don't relate to it

It's basically HBO trying to do a mature CW teen drama. I like it, but it's not for everyone. It's worth trying to get into, though.

That said, the Season 2 finale was very disappointing. You wanted closure or more insight into these stories you've been following the entire season, and then you end up with a bunch of stuff that's pushed to being resolved/expanded on in the next season but, hey, don't worry, here is a 10 minute scene with a side character nobody liked where he sings a song to Rue. I'm convinced his record label got involved and paid HBO/the director to include that.