General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

On 26/03/2022 at 12:38, RPS said:

I would recommend Somebody Somewhere. It is about a woman who comes back to her small town after not really accomplishing much to take care of her ailing sister and the grief she is feeling in this small town after her sisters death. Really great stuff. We breezed through 7 episodes. It ends unresolved, so don't watch if you hate that. 

I did not know what this show as until you mentioned it but it seemed totally up my alley and I watched an episode a day for a week, it was fantastic. 

• Like 1

Its been renewed for a second season.

Meanwhile, I'm catching up on American Song Contest. Am on episode 2, and of the songs from episode 1 that got through, I think Connecticut's only got through because it was Michael Bolton singing it. It was a good song, but not great. I've listened to the first 3 songs of 2, so far. Oregon's was crap, but I liked Montana and New York. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Its been renewed for a second season.

Meanwhile, I'm catching up on American Song Contest. Am on episode 2, and of the songs from episode 1 that got through, I think Connecticut's only got through because it was Michael Bolton singing it. It was a good song, but not great. I've listened to the first 3 songs of 2, so far. Oregon's was crap, but I liked Montana and New York. 

Did you watch it? 

1 hour ago, RPS said:

Did you watch it? 

Somebody Somewhere? No. But its on my `to watch' list. Have far too many shows to watch and catch up on right now.

American Song Contest? Finished episodes 2 and 3, but only watched the first two performances of episode 4 and got burned out. Will finish later. 

Episode 3's performances: 

Spoiler

Glad Tennessee and Colorado got through, but Louisiana and Delaware's songs were better than Alabama and Texas, who got through over them. Texas was okay, but Alabama was forgettable.

Finished season 4 of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. A step up from season 3 but still behind the absolutely great first 2 seasons. It's slid a bit into a show where there is a feeling of running out the clock until they can get to the conclusion. That appears to be coming next year in the final season.

Spoiler

I personally really enjoyed a lot of the work Tony Shaloub and Marin Hinkle did this season. The show is a lot better when they're on fire, and they mostly were. However a lot of the stuff with Susie and her mobster "friends" just got tiresome. I get she's in way over her head but, man, it's too much. And a little forced to constantly remind us they're mobsters. 

I don't really know if the allusion to Midge fully going off on her own is going to stick. It seems like her career is tied to Susie's competence. And as Susie has built up a business she's also become increasingly sloppy. For instance, the gambling addiction, being tied to the mob, and committing very clear and obvious arson. So I wouldn't be shocked if season 5 has even more false starts.

Lastly, praying to god we're done with Sophie Lennon. I really like Jane Lynch but I do not need anymore of her. It's been established she can't stop the train that is Midge at this point. Their interaction, to me, came to a close when it was set in stone they will always hate each other.

It'll be very interesting to see where Mai goes next season. A lot seems to be settling in that there's so much she hasn't considered even before her surprise pregnancy. And they keep mentioning her family's involvement in organized crime and I'm intrigued if more comes of that. I can take or leave the "she's gotta convert to Judaism" bit as showing how out-of-touch Joel's parents are but would prefer if they didn't fly too close to that sun.

The girlfriend and I put on Anatomy of a Scandal on Netflix to binge through today since it’s a holiday. Of all the utterly terrible, shit plot twists that Netflix has, this has to have 100% the worst one.

My brain still can’t process how stupid it is. 

I just finished the first season of Severance and I thought the last few episodes were phenomenal. I wasn't totally grabbed by the pilot, but would implore anyone who felt similar to let it play out as it develops and unravels in a really intoxicating way and then totally finds its feet in the last few episodes. Cannot wait for more. 

On a bit of an Apple TV run at the moment as I also started Pachinko after finishing the book. The first two episodes already deviate from the structure of the book, but it feels like a small miracle that the show exists - it'll be hard to live up to such a beautiful book, but there's already been some real beauty in there, which is unsurprising with Kogonada directing a block. 

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

I know they're technically films, but given they got released one week after the other and follow an episodic style, I'm throwing them in the TV thread.

Watched the Fear Street trilogy. Quite enjoyed it. It's pretty mindless horror in probably some of the tamest horror you will see, but it did give me those good old RL Stine feels, even though I never read that particular series.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

I just finished the first season of Severance and I thought the last few episodes were phenomenal. I wasn't totally grabbed by the pilot, but would implore anyone who felt similar to let it play out as it develops and unravels in a really intoxicating way and then totally finds its feet in the last few episodes. Cannot wait for more. 

On a bit of an Apple TV run at the moment as I also started Pachinko after finishing the book. The first two episodes already deviate from the structure of the book, but it feels like a small miracle that the show exists - it'll be hard to live up to such a beautiful book, but there's already been some real beauty in there, which is unsurprising with Kogonada directing a block. 

While you’re delving into Apple stuff, check out The Last Days of Ptolomey Grey.

Just now, Josh said:

While you’re delving into Apple stuff, check out The Last Days of Ptolomey Grey.

That's on my `To Watch' list, so good call. 

Also, while you're delving into Apple stuff, avoid Finch unless you absolutely have to watch everything Tom Hanks has done. 

Farewell to Robert Morse, probably best known to modern audiences as Bert Cooper on Mad Men, IMO one of the best supporting characters on TV during his run there. Got a lot of work to do but I had to stop and watch some scenes he was in, including his final one.

• Sad 3