General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

4 hours ago, The Redeemer CLDY said:

Holy fucking shit the end of the new Righteous Gemstones episode.

Reveal hidden contents

I just got into Righteous Gemstones, finishing up S1 now and I've been really enjoying it.  I'm so tempted to click that spoiler

I also started The Guilded Age on HBOMax.  So far it seems like its an old money vs. new money thing set in 1880's New York and, since its by the same people, it might eventually be connected to Downton Abbey.   

On 05/02/2022 at 22:00, Chris2K said:

Ireland's national broadcaster RTE in "in talks" with produces of Neighbours

Which probably means they sent an email asking "are you guys cancelling Neighbours?"

think i'm about to start the final season of Castle. it's been a long, long, long road, but I'm gonna miss it when it's gone.

Some of it doesn't make any sense, some of it the writers clearly just copied a movie they watched the night before, and some of it was clearly written around a single joke or situation they wanted to put Castle in, but it's good stuff.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, K said:

think i'm about to start the final season of Castle. it's been a long, long, long road, but I'm gonna miss it when it's gone.

Some of it doesn't make any sense, some of it the writers clearly just copied a movie they watched the night before, and some of it was clearly written around a single joke or situation they wanted to put Castle in, but it's good stuff.

As I said before, the final seasons were...meh. Kinda started rolling downhill partway through the next to last season.

17 hours ago, Lint said:

I just got into Righteous Gemstones, finishing up S1 now and I've been really enjoying it.  I'm so tempted to click that spoiler

Season 2 is very good so far.

4 hours ago, The Redeemer CLDY said:

Season 2 is very good so far.

Season 1 was pretty good.  Dragged a bit in some parts, but overall I enjoyed it

Looking forward to this

• Like 1

I will dutifully watch more Futurama but I can't help but feel this isn't a great idea. The Comedy Central run had a couple absolute bangers but also some of the worst episodes the show's ever done, and they managed to end on an incredibly high note. Unless they have another great series finale idea in the chamber (which would make three of those), feels like it's tempting fate.

I don't know. Might be a thing where what I almost hope for is a mostly new writer's room steered by a couple vets.

• Like 4

I started watching Murderville on Netflix. Will Arnett show where he's paired with a celebrity guest every episode, and each episode there's a murder that he and the guest have to solve. The catch is that the celebrity guest isn't given a script and has to improvise throughout the episode, and then at the end of the episode it's up to them to try and name the killer. So far I've only watched episode 1 (Conan O'Brien) but I can tell I'm gonna be binging this later.

Decidedly less excited now. Though I suspect there might be an 11th hour agreement in time. Acting like DiMaggio isn't an integral part of the show seems too stupid even for a streaming service desperate to load its shelves with content. There's only way this would ever be received.

Yeah, when I saw "multiple cast members are back" in the headline I was confused but wondered if maybe Lauren Tom or someone wasn't gonna do it. I don't think you could get away with recasting any of the three leads but Bender's like the signature character of that show. I do think this whole thing ends with DiMaggio back because like you said, there's no way fans will accept a revival without him, certainly not when it's because of contract disputes. Would have been like trying to do the Animaniacs revival without Jess Harnell as Wakko.

That sucks. I saw suggestions he wasn't officially in board yet but they were just trying to finalise things. Obviously not having him will be a big loss to the overall character but I suppose it's easier to write around, like saying a chip shorted out so that's why his voice sounds different or whatever.

I would honestly love it if they managed to get him back at the last minute if they did some sort of ridiculous piece of stunt casting for Bender's new voice, commit to it in the press cycle until the first new episode comes out, and then have DiMaggio return as Bender in like the last minute of it. Let people live with the terror of Bender's new voice being Chris Pratt for a year or something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I would honestly love it if they managed to get him back at the last minute if they did some sort of ridiculous piece of stunt casting for Bender's new voice, commit to it in the press cycle until the first new episode comes out, and then have DiMaggio return as Bender in like the last minute of it. Let people live with the terror of Bender's new voice being Chris Pratt for a year or something.

Nonsense, let's just get the guy who voiced Flexo to scab the role.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1