General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

The Bear is fantastic

1 hour ago, LL! said:

Agreed. Have seen the first 3 episodes and am really enjoying it. 

Finished it last night and I agree, but the ending had me a little confused

Sherwood on BBC is one of the best things I've watched in ages. It uses a murder mystery as a backdrop to investigate the conflicts of the miner's strike in a contemporary Nottingham. We're going to do the last two episodes tonight, but it's been outstanding TV. 

Trying to watch a few more British shows and enjoying The Lazarus Project by Giri / Haji writer Joe Barton. I think Paapa Essidue is one of the most exciting actors working at the moment, so very much rooting for it, but it's definitely a bit imperfect. In general, I find Sky Originals just aren't very distinctively shot, they are look very generic and it stops them building atmosphere in the way a lot of American genre TV did, or even something Utopia. 

Oh and I think Hacks is great, Jean Smart is an icon.

Atlanta Season 3 finally dropped over here and can't wait to get stuck into that.

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Sherwood on BBC is one of the best things I've watched in ages. It uses a murder mystery as a backdrop to investigate the conflicts of the miner's strike in a contemporary Nottingham. We're going to do the last two episodes tonight, but it's been outstanding TV. 

Trying to watch a few more British shows and enjoying The Lazarus Project by Giri / Haji writer Joe Barton. I think Paapa Essidue is one of the most exciting actors working at the moment, so very much rooting for it, but it's definitely a bit imperfect. In general, I find Sky Originals just aren't very distinctively shot, they are look very generic and it stops them building atmosphere in the way a lot of American genre TV did, or even something Utopia. 

Oh and I think Hacks is great, Jean Smart is an icon.

Atlanta Season 3 finally dropped over here and can't wait to get stuck into that.

Mmm good TV content you say?

16 hours ago, Lint said:

Finished it last night and I agree, but the ending had me a little confused

My take

Spoiler

Michael had decided to kill himself and wanted to leave Carmy something, but had nothing besides the restaurant, which was just barely scraping by.  He knew Cicero wouldn't just give him the money, so he made up lies about being behind on bills and owing contractors money.  KBL Electric being the biggest one, and KBL being what was stamped on the bottom of the tomato cans.  So he basically got Carmy a loan that he never would have been able to get otherwise.  Took the money from Cicero, wrapped it up and packaged it in the tomato cans knowing that Carmy would find it.  Obviously didn't count on his note falling behind the lockers and not being given to him or so long.

• Thanks 1

We started Only Murders in the Building last night, after reading about it here and seeing the reaction.

Two episodes in, and I'm already feeling like Charlie Day connecting the dots. Great recommendation, EWB.

Also, I am interested in The Orville, but if we aren't Trek fans, are we going to enjoy it? I enjoyed the new Star Trek movies enough, but they didn't really feel like Star Trek. My partner hasn't liked anything Star Trek, ever. But we're really big fans of Seth's other shows.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gabriel said:

We started Only Murders in the Building last night, after reading about it here and seeing the reaction.

Two episodes in, and I'm already feeling like Charlie Day connecting the dots. Great recommendation, EWB.

Also, I am interested in The Orville, but if we aren't Trek fans, are we going to enjoy it? I enjoyed the new Star Trek movies enough, but they didn't really feel like Star Trek. My partner hasn't liked anything Star Trek, ever. But we're really big fans of Seth's other shows.

If you can get The Afterparty, that's another comedy whodunit and it's also incredibly good. Might scratch an itch when you're done work omitb

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Benji said:

Loving Atlanta season three. It makes me extremely uncomfortable about the issues it raises in all the right ways and makes me question my own preconceptions and motivations whilst also being hilarious.

I'm 6 eps in and I'm just in awe of it. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I'm 6 eps in and I'm just in awe of it. 

Of season 3 or season 1? Because if you're still in season 1, you're going to be in for a hell of an episode 7. That one straight up cemented that Atlanta/Glover can write anything he wants.

9 hours ago, Daddy Magic JasonM said:

Of season 3 or season 1? Because if you're still in season 1, you're going to be in for a hell of an episode 7. That one straight up cemented that Atlanta/Glover can write anything he wants.

Season 3. I've been on it since the start, think it's already one of the best shows of all time. 

I finished season 3...

Spoiler

Aside from episode nine, which was probably my least favourite episode of the show, it was a fantastic season. I think every single episode outside of that one had something to offer even in vacuum.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Really? I thought that was really challenging and solid.

Spoiler

I think this is why I don't like it, not because it's challenging, but because I feel like somebody out there is going to watch it and absolutely take away the wrong message because it's challenging.

It's an episode that crosses quasi school shooters with an episode that also comments on the perception that "minorities get everything handed to them". It's a very dangerous line to cross when those two are mixed and it's a rare occasion I wish they had been significantly more heavy handed with the messages.

I dunno, maybe I'm just in a minority. The episode itself wasn't bad, but I felt like it really missed the mark for a subject that should not be subtle or with such glibness in the current climate. Or maybe I'm just reading the entire thing wrong myself. One of the joys of Atlanta I guess :D