General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

On 27/07/2022 at 06:59, damhausen said:

I'll never forget in Breaking Bad they basically forced this in to the series finale for all the people who still clung to "Walt's the hero"

Reveal hidden contents

To me:

Spoiler

It was the moment he let Jesse's girlfriend overdose that I knew the show was not going to salvage him and he was a true villain. He let her die solely for his own selfish reasons. 

9 minutes ago, RPS said:

To me:

Hide contents

It was the moment he let Jesse's girlfriend overdose that I knew the show was not going to salvage him and he was a true villain. He let her die solely for his own selfish reasons. 

Spoiler

I've heard people refer to that as the moment he "broke bad". I always thought it was earlier, when he refused the Schwartz's help despite it being very obvious it would help out his entire family (his supposed mission) to have his medical expenses taken care of. It was him having seen just enough of the drug underworld and deciding he enjoyed it and the power it could give him.

A lot of the early episodes as he "remakes" himself into Heisenberg are filled with frustrating turns as you wonder why the hell this guy is just pushing all forms of help away despite having so many people in his life who care for him. And then at some point it hopefully clicks that it's because he's always been that person - a selfish, evil man. And being told he had lung cancer was the push he wanted, not needed but wanted, to do all the selfish, narcissistic things in his life he had avoided doing before.

But agreed that if by the time he let Jane OD (and the ensuing plane crash resulting from it) you didn't realize he was irredeemable then I don't know what to tell you. But, hey, AMC didn't help itself by merchandising the show and letting you have your own little piece of Heisenberg swag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally finished my binge watch of the last week of Neighbours, delightfully done with the exception of that amazing camera cut on the balcony when they made it very clear Kylie and Jason only turned up for an hour, and Guy Pearce wasn't there. Not something I've watched since uni realistically and a lot of the nostalgia actually predates me, but nice to see some faces.

No Lou though. :(

Just finished the S3 finale of The Orville and, while I hope it gets picked up for another season, it would be the perfect end to the series.  Just a fantastic episode that had the right mix of comedy and sci-fi and emotional moments

I"m really surprised how The Orville, for me, went from "Good lord that looks terrible, I hope it gets cancelled" to "Oh god I hope it gets renewed!"

• Like 1

I watched the first two episodes of What We Do in the Shadows devoid of any context. This is my type of show. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, RPS said:

I watched the first two episodes of What We Do in the Shadows devoid of any context. This is my type of show. 

Yeah it's generally managed to keep it up now midway through the 4th season. Some absolutely hilarious episodes and if not that there's just about always some bit during each episode that is extremely funny.

I've been enjoying season 4 a tad more than season 3. Season 4 spoilers.

Spoiler

Reinventing Colin Robinson as a kid was brave since his dry energy vampire humor pulled so much together, but giving that character a break this season wound up to be to its benefit. Now the vampires all have to figure out how to be parents? Yes please.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Colly said:

Have you seen the film? You should watch the film. 

Both are excellent though and don't feel you need to do it in a specific order.

I have not. I will absolutely now though. I went in absolutely blind to the show only knowing it's a show about vampires. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RPS said:

I have not. I will absolutely now though. I went in absolutely blind to the show only knowing it's a show about vampires. 

Yes! Absolutely do this. 

• Like 1

Been watching two adaptations of my favourite comics. I've really want to love it, but I'm struggling to get into Paper Girls so far. I'm going to stick with it, I think the casting is really interesting, it might just need some time to find its feet. It was always going to be a complicated adaptation, it uses music in the background all the time, sometimes just want to let the scenes breathe without it. 

I was really impressed with the first episode of The Sandman - so much felt lifted from the comic, and I think because I've always feared an adaptation, it feels faithful and well realised in that first episode. The cast is absolutely stacked as well. Really hope the rest lives up to it. 

6 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Been watching two adaptations of my favourite comics. I've really want to love it, but I'm struggling to get into Paper Girls so far. I'm going to stick with it, I think the casting is really interesting, it might just need some time to find its feet. It was always going to be a complicated adaptation, it uses music in the background all the time, sometimes just want to let the scenes breathe without it. 

I was really impressed with the first episode of The Sandman - so much felt lifted from the comic, and I think because I've always feared an adaptation, it feels faithful and well realised in that first episode. The cast is absolutely stacked as well. Really hope the rest lives up to it. 

I meant to message you about Paper Girls to get your thoughts on it. I had the same impression it would be mega difficult to adapt cos it feels very much like a concept that could only work in comics, but I'll still give it a go at some point.

• Like 1

Been struggling to care much about Barry season three - I think the long gap between seasons has been unhelpful in that regard because I could barely remember what happened at the end of the second season.

But, four episodes in and it is getting up to the same level as it was before. The bit that got to me was the

Spoiler

Calling up tech support for a bomb detonator. Just fully cracked me up and a perfect blend of the mundane and ridiculous. 

• Like 2