General Television Thread 2022

The Buscher

My dad and I watched three seasons of it, at which point it got too ridiculous for us to continue. It's fun pulp nonsense, kind of a schlockier Justified, but it does go off the rails eventually. High point of it for me is probably a great supporting performance by Hoon Lee, who is also superb in Warrior.

Completely forgot it was Antony Starr as the lead in it, though. Just a completely different performance from Homelander.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, TheGrandAvatar said:

Thank you both of you. Helped a lot did the mini review. Will give it a watch over the weekend. Find that most TV shows do tend to go off the rails during some time of their life. Have seen a lot like this. It will probably be another show I also start and do not finish. 

Appreciate it once again. 😊

So when I say the premise of the show is impossible, here is what I mean.  I'm not gonna spoil this, since, again, its the entire premise of the show.

In the first episode, he assumes the identity of a newly hired sheriff of a small Pennsylvania town, who is on his way for his first day on the job.

This is impossible for a few reasons.

1.  In PA, sheriffs aren't hired, they are elected from the local population.  He would've been campaigning in the area, people would probably know his face.

2.  Sheriffs don't serve towns, they serve the county

3.  If you call 911 in PA, a sheriff will never show up, because sheriffs aren't a primary law enforcement officer in PA.  Sheriffs serve as courtroom security, transferring prisoners, serving warrants etc..but again, they do not respond to 911 calls.  If a town doesn't have its own police force, then they pay the state police to serve the town.

Again, it was entertaining though.  Way too many VERY attractive Amish women though.  Making them Mennonites would've been a bit more believable..

• Thanks 1

Blasted my way through the season of 'Don't Hug Me I'm Scared' that just debuted on Channel 4 in the UK, every bit as funny and terrifying as their original online self-releases and I hope it leads to another series.  

For fans of Sesame Street if it was done by David Lynch and Wondershowzen.

The twins are especially horrifying...

Spoiler

iG1ZmSr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Watched all of Mo on Netflix, which I would say was hit and miss but enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the first half of the season but wasn't as keen on the second half as much, but still had some highlight moments. Reminded me that I need to finish the second season of Ramy because I was really into it before our Starz trial expired. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have watched every episode so far of Little Demon,  a cartoon starring Aubrey Plaza, as well as Danny DeVito and his daughter Lucy.

Watched every episode available, and I still have yet to form an opinion

Yeah it's a terrible miscasting. I understand Cavill is extremely busy with some other projects and couldn't devote himself to a TV series like The Witcher on top of blockbuster movies, but come on. This is when you actually dig into a ton of auditions and find someone who is a relative unknown.

I suspect season 4 will be the last, and they'll never finish adapting all the books. I just expect the backlash to Liam Hemsworth to be that severe.

15 hours ago, damhausen said:

Yeah it's a terrible miscasting. I understand Cavill is extremely busy with some other projects and couldn't devote himself to a TV series like The Witcher on top of blockbuster movies, but come on. This is when you actually dig into a ton of auditions and find someone who is a relative unknown.

I suspect season 4 will be the last, and they'll never finish adapting all the books. I just expect the backlash to Liam Hemsworth to be that severe.

Henry Cavill absolutely loves The Witcher and apparently keeps fighting for some of the best Geralt stuff to be included. This feels like a bad sign for Season 3 that Cavill is seemingly choosing to leave a project he worked hard to bring to life.

Honestly, the times that a main character recasting worked out can be counted on one hand. The only ones I can quickly think of is Ed Norton/Mark Ruffalo for the Hulk, Howard/Cheadle for The Hulk, and the late Richard Harris being replaced posthumously by Michael Gambon for the role of Dumbledore.

None of those you can claim were THE lead character of their respective films or franchises. None of them were load bearing to the degree Henry Cavill has been to The Witcher as a TV Show.

Honestly, best they can do is end it on Season 3 and not even go down the path of Liam Hemsworth having to carry that lead weight around his neck, because it's an impossible task to replace what many felt was a near perfect casting.

It's honestly a shame, there's potential in the franchise, but recasting Cavill is just an impossible task, and they shouldn't do it.

I would give season four a chance if Liam Hemsworth replaced Cavill as the protagonist, but wasn't Geralt.

Cavill IS Geralt.

As far as I'm concerned, the next season is the final season, so it better be damn good and I better get to see Geralt's sexy ass again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JasonM said:

Howard/Cheadle for The Hulk

Yea, the multi-verse got weird there for a bit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Henry Cavill absolutely loves The Witcher and apparently keeps fighting for some of the best Geralt stuff to be included. This feels like a bad sign for Season 3 that Cavill is seemingly choosing to leave a project he worked hard to bring to life.

Cavill not liking the writing and how the show has adapted The Witcher books has been a long-standing rumor. But I always thought it was much more book nerds (and of course the we must hate everything online elements) who were projecting.

Now, I'm definitely not so sure.