Steam/PC Mega Thread 2023

Mick

So there's a Game of Thrones RPG (not Crusader Kings). And so far it's... eh. The story is fantastic but the gameplay feels like a cheap knockoff of KOTOR. Not offensively bad but... it's like eating Taco Bell when there's a mom and pop place just next door that makes shrimp quesadillas just the way you like them and now I'm pining for the mom and pop Mexican place back in Ft Lauderdale dammit

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

So there's a Game of Thrones RPG (not Crusader Kings). And so far it's... eh. The story is fantastic but the gameplay feels like a cheap knockoff of KOTOR. Not offensively bad but... it's like eating Taco Bell when there's a mom and pop place just next door that makes shrimp quesadillas just the way you like them and now I'm pining for the mom and pop Mexican place back in Ft Lauderdale dammit

I like Taco Bell so fuck you 😛 

• Haha 4

So the Game of Thrones RPG is centered on

Spoiler

Cersei purging all of Robert's bastards

and I'm about 25% sure that the two protags you play as will end up killing each other over this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OctoberRaven said:

So the Game of Thrones RPG is centered on

Hide contents

Cersei purging all of Robert's bastards

and I'm about 25% sure that the two protags you play as will end up killing each other over this.

Um, just a question. Why spoiler that? I mean, look -- I get it, yes, it sucks to ruin a plot point, but I have a feeling the player base is going to have at least completed season 1 of Game of Thrones. 

But there's a chance (albeit probably a small one) that people in this thread looking for general PC games discussion might not have read the books or seen the show yet. I haven't seen The Wire yet and intend to, so I wouldn't want to see a plot detail thrown around in an unrelated thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah but, Pop culture osmosis you know? I mean, would you honestly put a spoiler tag if it was a game for the original Star Wars trilogy?

Just saying, spoilers need a statute of limitations in general.

I have to disagree with the idea of a statute of limitations. There are plenty of popular old stories I don't know much about. The original Indiana Jones trilogy is one such example.

Now, obviously, we can use our common sense when it comes to something like The Bible or a fairy tale because a normal upbringing in the Anglosphere would make them almost universally known.

In the case of Game of Thrones, however, that only began twelve years ago as a television show (the books being more of a niche taste before then), and you can find plenty of recent Youtube videos of people watching it for the first time. Erring on the side of caution with spoilers is just being considerate of others, especially as spoiler tags take seconds to use.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

also, the spoiler was for the plot of the game itself, not the TV series.

• Like 3

On 04/08/2023 at 00:33, Captain Kirk said:
  Hide contents

If a TV or Book King doesn’t have bastards, is he even a King?

Spoiler

One would hope Tommen wouldn't have any. Especially book Tommen.

Also, update: My first prediction was right.

Also, GRRM has a cameo in the game, and it's amazing.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

Also, update: My first prediction was right.

Also, GRRM has a cameo in the game, and it's amazing.

I played that years back and I had a TON of fun with it, lived exploring and talking, story is pretty good overall too. The cameo is basically like an ingame interview iirc.

• Like 1

Yep, I was right about my other prediction too.

Spoiler

I liked Mors better and felt he'd choose The Wall, so that's the ending I went with. I'd feel that Alester getting Rains'd would be a more canon-friendly ending (Vaerys having three Targs in Essos sounds right)

Anyway playing Disco Elysium next and it's amazing so far.

• Like 1

Picked up Knights of Honor 2 the other day on a 50% off sale. Had really enjoyed the original and put hours into that one. So far I am really enjoying the sequel - its similar enough that I dont feel lost really but improved and different enough to make the jump from the 20+ year old original haha. 

Currently playing a save in the early era (1100s ish) as Ulster. Its been a lot of fun, interactions with the other Irish guys, the Scots, the English, the Welsh, and the Bretons has made for some fun drama, lots of intrigue, and a lot of enjoyment! I am the last remaining Irish faction and control Ulster, Dublin, and Galway. I've also conquered Edinburgh and Aberdeen. The Welsh control Cork and I am building up to change that and reunite the island (Brother!) but we are both buds with England so gotta manage that.

33 minutes ago, Krabby said:

Picked up Knights of Honor 2 the other day on a 50% off sale. Had really enjoyed the original and put hours into that one. So far I am really enjoying the sequel - its similar enough that I dont feel lost really but improved and different enough to make the jump from the 20+ year old original haha. 

Currently playing a save in the early era (1100s ish) as Ulster. Its been a lot of fun, interactions with the other Irish guys, the Scots, the English, the Welsh, and the Bretons has made for some fun drama, lots of intrigue, and a lot of enjoyment! I am the last remaining Irish faction and control Ulster, Dublin, and Galway. I've also conquered Edinburgh and Aberdeen. The Welsh control Cork and I am building up to change that and reunite the island (Brother!) but we are both buds with England so gotta manage that.

I'd never heard of this, but it looks like something I'd enjoy. I'll wait for the price to come back down though, because it's back up to $50.

• Like 1