Steam/PC Mega Thread 2023

Mick

I remember being interested in it when it was due for release and a few people had mentioned it during sales but I'd never got round to picking it up. Looks good so will get it at some point but can't get all of the games I already have so would be one of the many typical of most Steam purchases!

28 minutes ago, Meacon Keaton said:

I'd never heard of this, but it looks like something I'd enjoy. I'll wait for the price to come back down though, because it's back up to $50.

Yeah I would wait for another sale, I debated right up until the sale deadline because thats the way I am lmao.

But yeah, I'd recommend it! 

1 minute ago, METALMAN said:

What is this? Is it like crusader kings? Total war? Something else?

Funny you should ask!

Many people describe it as a mix of Crusader Kings and Total War. It has definitely has elements of both games to it. Its less intense than Crusader Kings but has more RP elements than Total War. Its battles aren't as good as Total War but they are more controllable than Crusader Kings. A nice mix of each!

• Thanks 2

I was entirely on-board, but the hype kind of died down for me when it got delayed to fix that massively game breaking bug (at least, I hope it was to fix the one that I read about) and then I read some reviews that pointed out just how much of the game is based on QTEs.

I've had to put WrestleQuest down for the time being at the very least. On the Switch it has these little hangs/jitters that make it feel inconsistent - and I've lost progress or been stuck three separate times entirely. There's clearly a lot of passion in that game, but it's just not all... there. Weird little janky things I can deal with, but there's a lot to play right now and having to replay entire sections three times now (and I'm pretty sure I'm softlocked on the last one) just isn't doing it right now.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

7yep8h.jpg

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Games like Vampire Survivors and Hades are often mentioned as being great on Steam Deck.

I played both on non Steam platforms. So I got Pizza Tower and Brotato instead. Pizza Tower is an A+ game. 

• Like 1

The creator of Hollywood Mogul sent out an email talking about what he's been working on with his new game Hollywood Mogul 4 and stated that it should be going to Alpha in a month or so

• Like 2

17 hours ago, FLiam said:

Where did you see this??

He's had a forum for the HM games for a long time and I think sent the email to the members of that. Here's the email in case y'all are interested:

Spoiler
Hello!

Here's where I'm at, Mogul ...

Hollywood Mogul 4 will be a game about running a Hollywood movie studio. There will be no television shows, no cable TV, no streaming channels ... nothing else. Just movies.

I tried for two years, every combination of things I could think of ... and I could not make TV or cable TV production any fun at all. Yes, it's fun to set up that first big limited series episode ... but then it just becomes a monotony of the same thing over and over. And it was even worse with TV broadcast shows. 22 episodes. It just becomes about numbers-management with few or no choices ... and it was tedious and boring.

So I tried making a game turn 1 week instead of 1 month. Disaster. Make a TV show ... each week go into the project, make sure everything is what it should be ... but the worst part ... with movies ... make a giant Sci-Fi epic that takes 18 months... that's 75 game turns at one week each. And most of those 75 game turns there's nothing to do on a movie. It was absolutely no fun at all.

So I dropped everything except movies. Hollywood Mogul 4 is about making movies.

With a talent database that currently has 8,000 names. The talent database includes Actors, Directors, Producers, and Writers. That way you can hire one person to do every job if you want. It's also more manageable as one database . And you can merge databases now. So you can create a small talent database with your favorite 30 actors, and merge it into the default game database ... or anyone else's talent database. And there's no limit, you can have 50,000 or 100,000 names in the talent database.

The same is true for the source material. You can create a small personal database and merge it with others. This way, if the community wanted to create a Comic Book database, or a Graphic Novel database, anyone who is interested can get involved, and at the end, one of you just merges them all together. One person doesn't have to do all the work anymore.

Also, I backed away from 'genres' as a way to determine what a movie is about. You can still choose a genre, but it's mostly just for your own satisfaction. The real 'genre elements' are now attributes that you choose, things like Adventure, Suspense, Mystery, Jump Scares.

Now when you look at the story attributes you can tell exactly what the movie is about. And that is fun. And I broadened the talent attributes to reflect the new story attributes (especially for Writers). And when you match talent with roles, you have to worry about chemistry and director attribute differences ... opening the door for Production Problems.

Action, Comedy, and Drama ... those are now Talent Role attributes ... the talent determine the rating for a movie's Action, Comedy, and Drama. And a few other things (Heroice, Brave ... you'll see). As well as Character Role Nuances like is the character Optimistic? Forgiving? Honest?

I did away with things that aren't fun. Like Sound Stages. There are a million sound stages in Los Angeles. You can always find one. It's a meaningless choice. I got rid of all the stuff that doesn't matter what you choose. All that remains are the choices that determine the box office result.

And I tightened up the Casting functions. I pared Agent Negotiation down to the bare minimum. I hated that part of the game. And once the contract is in place, it didn't really add anything to game play. All of the things that do matter with Agents is handled in a way that gets the job done in a minimum of time.

In the end, for Hollywood Mogul 4 ... I wanted to improve the things I didn't like about HM3 ... and make sure it could be played easily on current PCs for years to come.

In a month or so, those of you that want to get involved with an alpha version will have a chance to do so. You'll get access to a specific Discord channel where you'll be invited to participate in game features.

So that's where I'm at with Hollywood Mogul 4.

Thanks for playing,
HMdesigner

• Like 1